Long startup boot time

oskingen

this is Superfetch. It load a lot of files into the RAM so that you can start programs much faster. Try to disable Superfetch temporary and restart your PC to test if it starts faster.

I tried this too. even with superfetch disable. it's the same. my drive is clean, defragmented.

tell me if i have to delete also all files in Windows\Prefetch folder.

Edited by hannubys

According to this, we go from the initial call into starting smss.exe at 10:26:11 to winlogon.exe starting to begin processing for the "Welcome" screen at 10:26:23 (12 seconds), and almost all of the time between is csrss.exe parsing the registry hives that are being loaded (this does take time, so if your registry gets "large" over time, booting WILL be slower). Winlogon takes ~1second to get to it's LSA call to be ready to accept credentials, and from there I see lsass.exe and wininit.exe starting up (meaning we're loading the security subsystem) and then services.exe kick in to start up the "delayed start" services (at approximately 10:26:26), and then the logonui.exe begins (to actually display the Welcome page). From there, we go through svchost parsing the power settings and event logging, and then we start processing group policy extensions at 10:26:36 (10 seconds later). This takes less than a second, and I see you started to get a desktop (explorer.exe) at 10:26:37, and from there everything appears to be working swimmingly.

Therefore, it appears that we're parsing the registry hives for power and service start information where the largest delay is, so perhaps this is either registry bloat, or a driver that's causing the delay? It's not obvious here, and the event log stating that policy processing caused the delay is not entirely accurate - we weren't able to process policies until the registry and power scheme checks completed, and those are the things that are taking most of the boot time you would notice...

yeah and i'm not able to diagnostic this. i don't know what to do. I'll make some tests. the thing strange is that i installed all my softwares, drivers the same day because i use a script to make this in silent install and the problem appeared 2 weeks later.

Edited by hannubys

yeah and i'm not able to diagnostic this. i don't know what to do. I'll make some tests. the thing strange is that i installed all my softwares, drivers the same day because i use a script to make this in silent install and the problem appeared 2 weeks later.

From your problem description and the procmon log, your box spends the most time during boot scanning the registry (not sure why). Have you added or modified any software since you built the box?

We will probably have to break out the more advanced tools to get this:

1. Download and install the Windows Performance Tools Kit (x64 package for 64 bit) - choose the "complete" option during install

2. Open a command prompt, and type the following command:

"xbootmgr -trace rebootCycle -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP"

replace C:\TEMP with any temp directory on your machine as necessary to store the output files

This will reboot your box. Once it does, log back in and once the countdown time finishes, you should now have some files in C:\TEMP. I'm interested in the .cab file, specifically.

From your problem description and the procmon log, your box spends the most time during boot scanning the registry (not sure why). Have you added or modified any software since you built the box? If not, let me know.

what do you mean by built the box? (i'm french). and no, i didn't add or modify any software.

Well, I won't get into the debate between French and French-Canadian since you may actually be from France, but I do have something you can try - we will probably have to break out the more advanced tools to get this:

1. Download and install the Windows Performance Tools Kit (x64 package for 64 bit) - choose the "complete" option during install

2. Open a command prompt, and type the following command:

"xbootmgr -trace rebootCycle -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP"

replace C:\TEMP with any temp directory on your machine as necessary to store the output files

This will reboot your box. Once it does, log back in and once the countdown time finishes, you should now have some files in C:\TEMP. I'm interested in the .cab file, specifically.

Well, I speak in software terms unless I'm in the hardware forums, so in this case I do actually mean "installed Windows+apps" == built the box.

I installed the software et launch the command.

here is the link .cab file

yeah i'm from france :thumbup

Edited by hannubys

Well, I speak in software terms unless I'm in the hardware forums, so in this case I do actually mean "installed Windows+apps" == built the box.

I installed the software et launch the command.

here is the link .cab file

yeah i'm from france :thumbup

Cool, it worked. I'll need the other two files as well (they're probably much larger), but I wanted to save you the trouble just in case it didn't work :).

Ew... err... Well... what can I say...

I gave it an other try. This time i did not disable superfetch but only delete all .pf files in the window\prefetch folder. And my box started in 2 loading. That's good so far. Thank Cluberti for your help

Edited by hannubys