Explorer "idlist" error at Windows startup

Expat4Cebu

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on my Toshiba C Series Lifebook laptop. I keep getting this error message when Windows opens: "Windows cannot find '/e,/idlist,:596:1324,'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To Search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

The window title for the message is: "/e,/idlist,:596:1324," (ends with comma). By the way, the numerical values in this message change with every bootup!?!

I'm NOT configured to open (restore) an Explorer folder automatically. There are no spurious parameters to userinit, under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon.

I suspect this nuisance is related to a program or, perhaps, hardware that is no longer installed (or has been upgraded).

I've had this problem for about a year and have tried everything I can think of (including: removing all programs I can do without; running many different disk and registry cleaners; disabling unnecessary services; making sure I have only one Java client installed; etc. I have looked in the Startup folders for all user accounts, as well as the Task Scheduler. Of course, I've checked the registry's Run, RunOnce and RunOnceEx but see nothing amiss.

I had an almost identical problem after installing my drawing tablet (for Photoshop) but it was resolved by running a registry cleaner.

Can ANYBODY diagnose the cause of this problem?

Thanks.

Edited by Expat4Cebu