Integrating IE7 to Windows XP SP3?

Use nLite. It worked fine on my XP Pro SP3 VLK disk.

What about doing it manually?

Not sure how to do it manually

I've found using it in runonce (rather than integrating) removes a lot of issues with hotfix detection, because while the binaries in \system32 get updated when it is integrated, I've seen enough systems where the \system32\dllcache binaries are still IE6 and are not updated to not suggest this method to everyone (this problem will cause IE hotfixes to fail to install properly). Instead, run the IE7 installer in runonce and then install the latest cumulative (currently MS08-024), which will do the same thing (basically) without the potential mess.

Use nLite. It worked fine on my XP Pro SP3 VLK disk.

What about doing it manually?

Not sure how to do it manually

I've found using it in runonce (rather than integrating) removes a lot of issues with hotfix detection, because while the binaries in \system32 get updated when it is integrated, I've seen enough systems where the \system32\dllcache binaries are still IE6 and are not updated to not suggest this method to everyone (this problem will cause IE hotfixes to fail to install properly). Instead, run the IE7 installer in runonce and then install the latest cumulative (currently MS08-024), which will do the same thing (basically) without the potential mess.

Very well cluberti, but wich switches did you used with it?

Hi folks, I found this thread when I couldn't get IE7 into my XP SP3 RIS image. I usually use the svcpack.inf method and throw iesetup.exe at the end of my updates before qchain.exe

However SP3 was having none-of it. A manual install also failed, so I check WGA etc incase that was an issue, but it was all fine.

So I downloaded IE7 again, instead of using the one for my SP2 build. Both show the file version as 6.2.0029.0, BUT the newer one is smaller in size, 15,142kb for the 'old' ie7 and 15,091kb for the 'new' IE7. So it looks as though there has been a change made, and the file revision has not been updated. I put the new file into my svcpack and it installs fine! :thumbup

I hope this helps someone save a bit of time!

Hi folks, I found this thread when I couldn't get IE7 into my XP SP3 RIS image. I usually use the svcpack.inf method and throw iesetup.exe at the end of my updates before qchain.exe

This method seems to be the most elegant of all, but how do I accomplish it ? Which switches may I use to make it unattended, silent and also ready-to-go ? Is the 'iesetup.exe' inside \i386\updates or \i386\svcpack folders ? Is it a standalone .exe, or do I have to make a SFX from the IE7-WindowsXP-x86-<your-language-here>.exe file ? What about the .cat files and their respective entries on SVCPACK.INF ?

Thanks for your help,

--ThundernetBR

Hopefully this will help a bit further...

1. Download the latest version of IE7 from here, running the plain exe is fine, with no extraction required.

2. Save into your svcpack folder, under i386 (presuming you have referenced this previously)

3. On your svcpack.inf (in the root of i386) add the exe path after all updates, but before qchain, I used: "iesetup7.exe /quiet /nobackup /update-no /norestart"

which runs fine, I then use group policy to prevent the first run wizard, but I'm not sure if you can bypass it otherwise.

Have fun!

• 6 months later...

My apologies if anyone is upset that I've re-awakened a thread from over 6 months ago, but this seemed the most appropriate place to post.

I have had problems, like those mentioned in this thread, installing hotfixes after installing IE7 from svcpack or at T12. As cluberti says the problem is caused by incorrect file versions in the dllcache. Anyway, I have found a solution I believe is quite elegant...

It appears that Windows Setup builds the dllcache after T12 and over-writes the files that IE7 setup creates. When IE7 is installed after setup completes it finds that the files it updates are already present and so it copies them into dllcache as .tmp files, and modifies PendingFileRenameOperations in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager] to rename the .tmp files and replace the old versions on reboot. This doesn't work before T13 because ie setup doesn't find any files in dllcache, so instead of creating the tmp files, it just copies the files in as they are. Windows setup then over-writes these. It occured to me that I could manually take a copy of the .tmp files and put them into the dllcache, and add the registry entry myself so that upon reboot after setup the correct version of the files would be re-over-written. I imagine that is a solution that would work. But my unattended disk is only a CD not a DVD and its already 99% full, so I couldn't fit an extra 15mb SFX archive with the necesary files on without a compromise. It also seemed like a bit of a botch solution which I don't like. Instead I wondered if it was possible to trick the ie setup into creating the .tmp files and registry entry itself, as it would when run after setup. It seemed that the only thing that prompted this behaviour from setup was the presence of files with the same name already existing inside dllcache. So I created a 0kb blank text document and duplicated it, and renamed it, to create a set of files (see below) with the same names as those being over-written. I then added these to a SFX archive (which is ~100Kb) which extracts the files to dllcache before ie setup is run. This produced the desired result! After windows setup completed I checked the file versions in dllcache and they are the newer ie7 versions as desired. I also visited Windows Update and was now able to install the 2 updates that had previously been failing. Re-running IE7 setup on the system does not appear to change any files or registry entries anywhere on the system so I believe this 'fix' is fully successful. The archive is very small and takes less than a second to do its work.

I hope this is useful to others who wish to install IE at or before T12

Please note - if you disable or empty the dllcache (for example using sfc / purgecache) then this solution is irrelevant as you should not have a problem. I use my unattended disk to setup up PCs for friends and relatives who aren't technically minded, and hence I find it useful to leave the system file cache intact incase they somehow corrupt any system files.

A note about IE8: I believe a similar method should work with IE8 if a similar problem occurs. The required files may very well be different. If so I will update this post when IE8 final is released.

Below are details of the dummy files in the archive...

admparse.dll

advpack.dll

custsat.dll

dxtmsft.dll

dxtrans.dll

extmgr.dll

hmmapi.dll

ie4uinit.exe

ieakeng.dll

ieaksie.dll

ieakui.dll

iedkcs32.dll

iedw.exe

iepeers.dll

iernonce.dll

iesetup.dll

iexplore.exe

imgutil.dll

inetcpl.cpl

inseng.dll

jsproxy.dll

licmgr10.dll

mshta.exe

mshtml.dll

mshtml.tlb

mshtmled.dll

mshtmler.dll

msls31.dll

msrating.dll

mstime.dll

occache.dll

pngfilt.dll

tdc.ocx

url.dll

urlmon.dll

vgx.dll

webcheck.dll

wininet.dll

Edited by jonscaife

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
jonscaife,

Can I please ask exactly how you did this?

" I then added these to a SFX archive (which is ~100Kb) which extracts the files to dllcache before ie setup is run. This produced the desired result!"

Thanks

Err, I used WinRAR - just highlight all the files, right click, select "add to archive" and change the various settings in winrar to make the archive self extracting

As its just full of empty 0kb files I can't see any reason why I can't attach it, so here it is

I'll shortly update this with a similar method for IE8

See my Blog Jons Guides for more info, an updated zip of files, and the ie8 file

ie7fix.exe

Edited by jonscaife