Setup cannot set the required windows xp configuration information

sath

Hi

I saw a similar topic to this one ( http://www.msfn.org/board/Setup-cannot-set...p-t116387.html) but could not post in that thread, strange.

hopefully i can get some help.

i have a laptop with a very struggling ver of xp home. unfortunately all on one partition with no external drive to back up to.

So I got a win xp sp3 corporate from daddy. my laptop needs a scsi controller at start up, but i do not have a floppy disk for the laptop. i then read about this nlite application and thought - perfect.

I unzipped the drivers. I used nlite 1.4.5, cliceked on drivers, then chose "iaahci.inf" (here is question no 1: should i have used "iastor.inf" - they both in the extracted folder and both give the same list in nlite). I intergrated all the SATA drivers and went to direct burn.

ran the setup, it did not tell me that it couldnt recognize the hard disk this time (so the intergration kind of worked). i am forced to install the windows version on the same partition without change to the partition. so the setup gave all the woanings of doing so and then proceeded to 'delete' the installation of windows that exists in the pc. all seems to run smoothly. however, it gets to the end of the copying stage and i get the above error.

in a microsoft article it claims that it is a hardware problem, how could that be. in the post i refer to above ema2ooo had a similar problem and was solved with the use of a different version of nlite.

what am i doing wrong? am i intergrating the wrong drivers? should i only intergrate one or the whole list that is shown after i "insert" the .inf file in nlite. I have two .inf files, as stated above. which one should be used?

should i enter the repair control panel and manually delete the windows installation?

should i set it up on the same partition under in a different directory?

should i pull the hard disk out and go beg someone to download the data (dont even know how to do that with a laptop hardisk) and then format the entire thing?

should i bang my head on the wall harder??

help guys!!!

thanks

here is an addendum:

i eventually re-run setup and as before installed on the same partition etc. but installed the windows under a different path: i.e the original win xp home = c:\windows, the new xp pro installation = c:\winxp

it has installed. havent added all the 'goodies' yet. clearly though the problem is not with hardware and probably not with the nlite intergration.

any further suggestions?? shouold i now delete the c:\windows and re-install again under the c:\windows directory? will xp pro clash with itself during installation?

yet more problems: i cant get the sound to work. Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver doesnt seem to be installing. loaded the k888111 hotfix but apparently i already have it with my sp3. i read in some places that this may be a known issue but cannot find resolve.

Edited by sath