nLite 1.4.5 Final didn't fix Vista slipstream XP SP3

rbeede

I just tried creating a Windows XP Home SP2 -> SP3 disc using my host operating system Vista Business 32-bit. I used the latest nLite 1.4.5 Final which said it had the bug fix for this.

My disk will not allow me to leave the product key blank and click on Next. I click on No in response to entering my product key at this time and it simply leaves me at the product key screen. It never goes on.

I guess nLite 1.4.5 Final didn't fix this after all. Oh well. My work has XP available so I'll use it to create my disk.

• 2 weeks later...

The following actions were taken on the hosts below

*Downloaded 1.4.5.5

*Installed 1.4.5.5

*nLite'd SP2 (latest build I could get from MS website) into XP RTM SP0

*nLite'd SP3 (final from MS website) into above SP2

nLite'd disk still not recognizing any keys (legit or not), or allowing to leave the field blank

Host machine 1: Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

Host machine 2: Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 - nLite running in compatibility mode for XP SP2

Host machine 3: Windows XP Pro SP3 (non-integrated) - running in MS Virtual PC 2007 x64 (only XP machine i really use is a virtual one LOL)

about to try command-line slipstream for SP3 directly onto RTM image then re-nLite it will keep you posted

Command-line slipstream failed as well, still can't enter any keys (legit or not), can't do anything with it.

A thought comes to mind, I did download my SP3 from the WU Catalogue, guess I (and maybe some other people) got a version that's simply NOT meant to be integrated.....

X86-en-windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu_c81472f7eeea2eca421e116cd4c03e2300ebfde4.exe

File Description: Self-Extracting Cabinet

Type: Application

File Version: 6.2.29.0

Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating System

Product Version: 6.2.0029.0

Size: 316Mb

Date downloaded (From WU Catalogue) 25-04-2008

Language: English (United States)

Host for command-line slipstream was Windows XP Pro SP2 running in MS Virtual PC 2007

Edited by Swarvey

You Guys Will Love This!

It is a known issue! That probably will never be fixed! But I am working on a solution to get around this.

Billy Gates software rocks!

KB950722

It says retail will work. I know OEM (Pro or Home) doesnt work at least from SP2 to SP3, I am going to try Professional Volume (RTM) from SP0 to SP3.

I must say that I was actually able to get it to work for one installation with OEM Home from SP2 to SP3. But it didnt initially didnt take it. I am not sure how it worked. I used an older version of nLite. I havint tried to use it since then and I may try it again.

It may have something to do with 32bit and 64bit Vista as well.

Cant Microsoft just work? NA!

Edited by mklez

Managed to get around the invalid key issue by following istructions at Windows SuperSite.

My host is Vista 32-bit and I'm using Win XP Home OEM (Gold). 1st using nLite, I went from SP0>SP2. Then following step 3 from Windows SuperSite, I slipstreamed SP3. And now my key works. If any1 wants the detailed instructions, let me know.

Edited by tsam

Looks like Steps 1 through 3 are explanitory. I would just use nLite after that.

In step number 3, if you know how to use the command prompt, you can just run the command prompt as a admin from the get go. from your start, programs, assesseries. Thats how I use the command prompt when I am tring to accomplish something.

BTW, in step one. I wouldnt drag and drop. I would use the "xcopy *.* /e x:\filelocation" command from command prompt.

Edited by mklez

Problem Solved!!! for me anyway....

Everything I tried failed, my RTM simply cannot accept an integration of SP3. You name it I tried it. So what did I do?

I borrowed my friends XP Professional SP2 retail disk, integrated SP3 via command line in Vista, then nLited with the same SP3 preset i made for all my other disks. And Voila! instant, working, SP3 integrated XP disk. Can integrate key to installation or install without a key and use either OOBE activation or Microsoft key changer (from Windows Genuine website) to update to your key.

Funny thing tho, even my Home Edition RTM SP0 accepted the integration....

*command to integrate: [extracted SP3 path]\i386\update\update.exe -s:[xp source path]

eg: c:\SP3\i386\update\update.exe -s:C:\nLite\WinXPPro

* Vista command prompt shortcut: goto the folder where you want to start your command prompt, eg, C:\nLite\WinXPPro, hold SHIFT on your keyboard, Right Click in blank area, choose Open Command Window Here

Edited by Swarvey