nLite Missing disable virtual/page/swap file option?

JAB Creations

nLite seems to have lost the swap file/virtual memory/page file option, I disable this without a first thought. "[Options] Disable Page File" seems to be what I want in the session file though I'm not sure if this file is used by nLite to compile something else that the Windows installer itself will use or if the Windows installer will actually use the 'Last Session.ini' file (which with a space in the file name I highly doubt).

Any way maybe I missed it in the five hours of tweaking my slipstream install but where the heck is the option to disable virtual memory?

** Thread Hijackers **

This is a how do I question, not a should I/will this blow up my computer question. Telling me otherwise is a total waste of everyone's time.

If you can't contribute to an answer to my question as I originally posted then don't hijack my thread.

0.99.7 Beta

LOL .. Thats WAAAAAY old .. try to go in here .. http://www.nliteos.com/ It is also stated in the top that it is oldversion .. :D

And he didnt hijack your threat he just told what is correct .. you are using a version you not even can use and there missing like 100 options than the newest.

Edited by Svend Rugaard

Any way maybe I missed it in the five hours of tweaking my slipstream install but where the heck is the option to disable virtual memory?

Telling me otherwise is a total waste of everyone's time.

Ok, you're right, the option is there. I'm sure it is. But I won't tell you where, and nobody will. Keep searching it, you're big enough to waste your own time.

I'm using 1.4.1 and it barrels down to this...

What can I manually edit to have the page file disabled when XP is installed?

Good options are never old otherwise I'd be ok with going from a one-click on a cut/copy/paste/delete button in XP/Explorer to a four action click/drag/release/click on a useless wasteful organize menu in Explorer/Vista.

...and frankly I don't need a five gigabyte file for an average use of 700/2000 megabytes of use.

Sorry to humbly hijack your thread but here is the solution you seek --> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1679901,00.asp to disable after installation. The other way to disable it can be found on the forums by searching and I am plenty sure you are smart enough to figure out how to do that.

BTW your are very rude and a**-ish for a new member I hope we don't see you around too long.

Nuhi has said ALONG time ago and several times that disabling the page file is too dangerous to add to nLite, not enough people know that it is a risky setting...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

I've runned windows for the last 8 years without a page file. Windows suggest i enable a 12GB pagefile when all my paging is yet going to ram so to speak. If you have enough ram, have the right tweaked out setup, knock yourself out. If you need error reporting and saving bluescreens and such, keep it. Personally i'd recommend starting with having at least either a 16 mb one or 400/800mb (depending on what windows version) and see if it ever asks for more. Do this after you have tweaked windows right, if goal is to have no pagefile but u want to be sure u can get rid of it on your current install.

I encounter nothing but resistance on 90% of my threads because people can't answer simple questions. I'm not rude by asking a question, people posting useless information knowing full well that I will reject it are. It's a poor choice to presume all answers are asked based on blind ignorance.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it." - George Bernard Shaw

If people are using a product such as nlite and removing things, they shouldn't need babysitting on what they should and should not do.

Can we agree on this?

Being told what to do on your own windows installation, unless you ask for help, is rude. Is it not ?

Anyone sane would agree with this.Tho its ok if you are not and still agrees with it.

All threadstarter asks for is help finding some tweak to do what he wants to do.

Instead, it's being debated wheter or not he should do it.

WHY do you care whether or not what he does to his windows installation? Are you going to cry if he gets a bsod? No? I thought so.

No sorry for Off topic, but plz, try to help people with what they want, not what YOU think they should do.

Getting rid of a file that can take up gigabytes just sitting there on c:\, who wouldnt like to get rid of it?

Well wouldnt' anyone of us? It's anyone's decision to do as they wish, as long as they dont bring harm to others, i couldnt be happier.

Do what you want, i really dont care.

All threadstarter asks for is help finding some tweak to do what he wants to do.

Instead, it's being debated wheter or not he should do it.

It's being debated later because someone (no personal attack...) behaves like a donkey.

The threadstarter is searching for a tweak in nLite indeed. "where the heck is the option to disable virtual memory ?".

I simply tell him the tweak doesn't exist. Wether it was abandonned 2 or 3 years ago, I don't know, but does this make my answer rude ? DOES THIS MAKE MY ANSWER RUDE ? :realmad: I've read enough threads during those last years (one of them was brought back yesterday) to know that it's not there and that Nuhi has no intention to implement it (back).

So If he or you think this answer is irrelevant, please yourself. I'm not impressed by quotes from George Bernard Shaw by someone who can barely read, nor by 5 Gigabytes pagefiles, RAM is not proportional to anyone's IQ.

I encounter nothing but resistance on 90% of my threads ....

Most probably 90% of people that reply are rude or simply not at your same level. :whistle:

You could try stepping down a bit, or try to educate this 90% of people.

My guess is that first of the two options is easier to put in practice.

jaclaz

It's an issue of communication...I frequently encounter people who are resistant to what I want to do and try to make it clear that such conversation won't be productive. Though I don't feel like trumpeting that I know everything or more then a large portion of people in some regards. Either way my threads end up becoming painful because of this form of disconnect and that isn't my intention.

So...

The option existed before and then it disappeared...

The page file is always 2.5X the size of your physical memory which is not a good practice because someone with 16MB of RAM will only be able to allocate 40MB of virtual memory total.

I have 2GB of RAM and therefor by default Windows sets the page file to 5GB. You can imagine this slows down even the fastest of hard drives.

Since I never use more then 1.4GB and in only rare circumstances it makes no sense to have the hard drive which is the only mechanical item in computers that still utilize moving parts (besides fans). So to increase the lifespan of one's hard drives it's highly desirable to stop any unnecessary activity.

With the page file disabled I've noticed a huge reduction in lag in video games, my system is much more responsive in general, and boots several seconds faster.

Lastly no programs have crashed unexpectedly or generated errors in regards to memory. The only oddity is Adobe Photoshop arrogantly disobeys the system preference and manually creates it's own page file which when you do the research and everything is said and done is nothing but a waste of the hard drive and a completely unnecessary loss of performance. I paid for the memory, use it.

I don't feel I should have to talk about points of my goal just to receive an answer because back to stage 1 instead of simply getting an answer as with a majority of my threads online all I get is resistance to how I don't know what I'm doing even though everything works not only perfectly fine but much better then the default. You have to keep in mind that I'm an upgrader and I'm vastly selective in what components I choose because I know such selections will sum in the desired performance I have from my system.

So I'm not trying to be rude but it's an endless battle to simply get an answer. I'm not interested in debate and the fewer details I provide the less likely my thread will become dragged in to a debate. I'm always open for friendly suggestions on how to better communicate because obviously it's difficult to say I'm an advanced user without somehow insulting someone or something along those lines which is never my intent.

Edited by JAB Creations

I see it more as a lack of "google-fu". ;)

Look at what you can find by searching for " site:www.msfn.org nlite disable pagefile" (without quotes):

http://www.msfn.org/board/Option-to-disabl...le-t106761.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/Disable-pagefile...-f-t109566.html

As you can see, there are different feelings about having the pagefile enabled or not enabled, and curiously enough, this particular topic tends to become often a debate, of the type 98 vs. XP, NTFS vs. FAT32, Mickey Mouse vs. Godzilla, etc.

In the first of the given links there is nuhi's reasons for why it is not an option in nlite.

About the communication problem, this:

** Thread Hijackers **

This is a how do I question, not a should I/will this blow up my computer question. Telling me otherwise is a total waste of everyone's time.

though it might be your sincere take on the way any user of the forum should behave, it can be easily considered unpolite and unneededly hostile or authoritative.

If anyone goes astray from how you planned the thread should evolve, it is basically your problem, you can create your own board, proclamate yourself supreme moderator of it and thus manage the topics in it as you wish, or hire a consultant to which you may be able to ask questions and possibly give him orders on how he should reply.

If you ask a question on a public forum, you will get:

1) some good replies

2) some bad replies

3) some out of focus replies

If you ask the same question on the same forum, telling what the would-be-repliers should do, you will get:

1) some good replies (same as before)

2) some bad replies (same as before)

3) some out of focus replies (same as before)

ADDITIONALLY, you will get:

4) some replies (like mine :ph34r: ) trying to tell you where you might be wrong in your approach

5) some hostile replies from people simply offended by your attitude

Everyone here tries to his best to contribute something in terms of knowledge, experience or even speculative ideas, and within the limits given by the Rules of the board, there is total freedom, if anyone has "time to waste" it should not be a concern for you.

Simply skip or ignore the replies not relevant to what you asked and take it easy.... :)

...don't post your own "rules" about what people should do....

.... and I would guess your 90% statistics will drop..... :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Good answear jaclaz. Since the pagefile is reset to auto after installation, i think perhaps an alternative other then doing it manually, is to create the

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"PagingFiles"=

into a .reg file and have a batch file copied to desktop, that one can execute upon finishing install, and have the batch file delete the registry import file as well as possibly it self. Havent really tried to have a batch file delete itself, lol, but something like this could be doable perhaps. Afaik, id rather do it manual until i cba to try this. More important things to do first =) kinda trivial....