Odd entry in Open With list

terrypin

After trying to add a new program QTLite (an alternative to QuickTime) to the Open With list for an MOV, instead of QTlite appearing in the list I have the strange entry shown in this screenshot:

http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?i...problem1nr9.jpg

(I tried using it but not surprisingly nothing obvious happened.)

Anyone

a) Have any idea how this came about?

B) Know how to get rid of it?

After some googling I found this link

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258860

but the registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\FileExts\.MOV\OpenWithList

doesn't have a Setup/Uninstall entry.

c) How to achieve my original aim of adding QTlite to the OpenWith list?

Thanks.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Edited by terrypin

Your pic isn't working for me, duno why?

Anyway its been a long time since I've used QTAlternative (I use Vista Codec Pack now) but if I recall correctly the media player included is called Media Player Classic. From memory the binary is called mplayerc.exe. So do a search for that file and then open with... media player classic. From memory I thought that QTAlt set itself as default for .mov s anyway??

Good luck.

[edit]Just realised that I may have misunderstood. I'm not sure that we're talking about the same thing?! Is QTLite the same as QTAlt - probably not!

Edited by JedMeister

I mistakenly thought QTLite was a 'non Quicktime' alternative, but I see it still has that brand. So I've uninstalled it (in case it starts pestering me for updates, loose change, etc). I seem to have got rid of that odd entry by fiddling in various ways. And associated MOV with VLC for now. I'll try MPC shortly.

One other associated issue is that initially d-clicking an MOV attempted to play IrfanView, with which it was associated (at IV installation time). But it promptly crashed. I do have the IV Quicktime plug-in, so that's puzzling. Any thoughts please? Mainly out of academic interest. IrfanView is great at most stuff (with image files) and I suspect I'm missing something that would make it equally good for video too. I've dropped the author an email.

Sorry about the screenshot. For completeness, here it is:

openwithproblem1vq6.jpg

--

I mistakenly thought QTLite was a 'non Quicktime' alternative, but I see it still has that brand. So I've uninstalled it (in case it starts pestering me for updates, loose change, etc). I seem to have got rid of that odd entry by fiddling in various ways. And associated MOV with VLC for now. I'll try MPC shortly.

One other associated issue is that initially d-clicking an MOV attempted to play IrfanView, with which it was associated (at IV installation time). But it promptly crashed. I do have the IV Quicktime plug-in, so that's puzzling. Any thoughts please? Mainly out of academic interest. IrfanView is great at most stuff (with image files) and I suspect I'm missing something that would make it equally good for video too. I've dropped the author an email.

Sorry about the screenshot. For completeness, here it is:

openwithproblem1vq6.jpg

--

Ok just had a quick google and it seems that QTLite and QTAlternative are actuallty the same thing just QTLite does NOT include Media Player Classic. So you can reinstall QTLite and then .mov should play in any media player you choose.

As for IrfanView - great little app, but must admit I haven't really played with it so no help at all there!

[i've the same problem!!!
Which particular bit of your problem is the same?? Please explain.