I can't wait to get back to 98!

RedTrac

Iv been suffering with XP MCE for about a year and half now and iv had to reinstall it 3 times, it just keeps going wrong, I never had thes problems with 98.

Im really more fully a RISC OS user, but there's some stuff that I specificaly need Windows for.

My questions are:

Whats the latest version of Open Office I can run on 98?

and

Whats the latest Real Player released for 98?

Thanks,

Redtrac

Edited by RedTrac

All OpenOffice 2 versions are working in Windows 98.

Windows 95 lets to run just the OpenOffice 1.

The OpenOffice 3 is in the beta stage. I found nothing particular about changes in support for Windows systems, so far.

Open Office 2.xx works without problem under Win98.

I've seen a stupid proposal to remove support for Win98/ME in Open Office 3.0 but as far as I know beta version could be run on those older systems too.

As for Real Player: I do not recommend using it - it's one of the crappiest players ever!

Thanks.

As for Real Player: I do not recommend using it - it's one of the crappiest players ever!

I got to agree with you on that. It was just that I was using it to download youtube videos, but I now realise that there are other methods of doing so.

Edited by RedTrac

Thanks.

I got to agree with you on that. It was just that I was using it to download youtube videos, but I now realise that there are other methods of doing so.

Youtube video play fines, embedded in webpages.

If you know how to store youtube videos on the hard disk for off-line viewing please post it here because theoricaly you can't.

Windows 95 lets to run just the OpenOffice 1.

BZZT! Wrong!

Officially version 1.1.4 is the last to run under Windows 95, but that's just laziness talking. The ONLY thing preventing version 2.x to run under Windows 95 is the IsDebuggerPresent API call, which the program doesn't even use. Patch that and everything's fine.

Thanks.

If you know how to store youtube videos on the hard disk for off-line viewing please post it here because theoricaly you can't.

Well, VDownloader does just that, and works well with Win 98SE (at least up to v. 0.61, v 0.7 is out but I didn't try it still). And for other things RealPlayer does, google for RealAltenative, it rocks!

http://vixy.net

A web based video extractor for youtube and other services. It can download+convert to mpg, mp4, etc.

http://vixy.net

A web based video extractor for youtube and other services. It can download+convert to mpg, mp4, etc.

In addition to that, there is another web-based tool called KeepVid. Paste in the address of the page with the embedded video and it returns a discombobulated link suitable for direct downloading or cueing up in GetRight among other things.

To play these FLV and other media files offline there is a great free media player called GOM on this webpage. Not sure if it plays RA or RM or RV or whatever extension Real uses nowadays.