Sp3 and nLite: very strange behavior

litvinoven

Hello, all.

I used nLite many times (big thanks Huhi-!!!) with WinXp Sp2 Rus (with all hotfixes) successfully. Mostly I installed system with Winnt32.exe from hard disk.

Now I integrate Sp3 in my pack. This full system works normally.

But when I try to reduce this pack with nLite (ver. from 1.45.2 to 1.45.5-last!), I get system installed, but with the same errors regardless of nLite setting.

My last variant of nLited Sp3 pack had minimum deleting: not needed hardware supports, all drivers (new ones are used), all keyboards and all languages. No system components or services were removed; no tweak or patches were applied. Options used were the same as for Sp2 (CABMerge, DupeFiles, RemoveMUI, CleanBiosInfo + DisableSRestore). Winnt.sif was corrected as for Sp2 (FileSystem=LeaveAlone, SFCQuota=0x00000000).

Errors are the same as in http://www.msfn.org/board/Userenv-error-in...og-t116532.html topic:

- Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\userenv.dll because of the following error: DllInstall returned error 2147746132 (80040154).

- Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventcls.dll because of the following error: DllInstall returned error 2147549183 (8000ffff).

- Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\swprv.dll because of the following error: DllInstall returned error 2147549183 (8000ffff).

Services: "Internet Connection Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing", "System Event Notification" and "Security Center" are in Auto mode, but cannot start!

Analyze shows that 8 services are not installed at all (not present neither in list nor in Registry):

- COM+ Event System

- COM+ System Application

- Distributed Transaction Coordinator

- MS Software Shadow Provider

- Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

- Terminal Services

- Windows Management Instrumentation

- WMI Performance Adapter

Moreover, in \System32\Wbem\ very many files are absent (comparing with working full system): .mfl x24, .mof' x26, .xsl's x6 as well as dsprov.dll, fwdprov.dll, msiprov.dll, smtpcons.dll, tmplprov.dll, trnsprov.dll, unsecapp.exe, updprov.dll, wbemads.dll, wbemads.tlb, wbemdisp.tlb, winmgmt.exe, wmimsg.dll, wmipicmp.dll, wmitimep.dll.

All these .ddl and .exe are present in Txtsetup.sif and Dosnet.inf.

Registry analyze shows that nLite.inf processing was aborted after 3rd line of [T] section:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update","AUOptions",0x00010001,1

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore","DisableSR",0x00010001,1

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sr\Parameters","FirstRun",0x00010001,1

<- aborted!

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup", "LogLevel", 0x10001, 0

Subsequent Registry corrections are not implemented and [TO] section is not processed (syssbck.dll, syssbck.inf are kept in \Inf\, nhelper.exe - in \System32\).

What is wrongr? Is there any ideas?

Edited by litvinoven

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having the similar problems with XP SP3 and nlite 1.4.5

I know for sure that the listed services are not working.

Com+ not present

WMI not present

System Event Notification is present but will not start.

Windows Firewall\ICS is present but will not start.

This happens only with SP3 not with SP2.

I've attached the setuperr.log, System Event error log, and the Application error log.

I've also attached the Last Session.ini file.

If needed I can go into more detail but litvinoven has given pretty much what I've experienced.

Thanks for a fantastic program.

Application_Event_Log.txt

System_Event_Log.txt

setuperr.log.txt

Last_Session__205406.10_14.04.55_.ini

mdemel, I tried your first SP3 preset and it installed without errors.

But I booted from the CD. You can freely consider nLite to not support winnt.exe method.

Please try booting from it. If you cant please explain why. Thx.

I could send you a trial version for that DOS method if you want.

Edited by nuhi

To nuhi: The only reason I don't use a CD\DVD, is because i install over a network. Would it matter if i used say BartPE with the Winnt32.exe.

Other thoughts. SP2 works just fine. SP2 might have a few tweaks that do not seem to work and thats fine. So why would SP3 have such a fit.

A trial would be great.

Thanks for your info.

Edited by mdemel

Ok thanks to Nuhi's suggestion I ran my setup from an iso in vmware. It seems to be ok except for the following error, which may or may not be related to nlite. Could someone give a explanation or a link to why winnt.exe fowls things up and or if it will be possible to install over the network with something like BartPE with a nlited OS.

I really do appreciate all the help.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: PSched

Event Category: None

Event ID: 14000

Date: 6/11/2008

Time: 2:38:16 PM

User: N/A

Computer: XPSP3

Description:

QoS: The Packet Scheduler failed to register with the Generic Packet Classifier (msgpc.sys).

I am very sorry for delay!

Problem with Sp3-pack installing with Winnt32.exe was solved!

The system mentioned in my first post was installed successfully when I used original Wbemoc.inf.

Real differences with nLite'd file are only in 5 lines:

[WBEM.CopyMOFs]

napclientprov.mof ;nLite add: ,napprov.mof

napclientschema.mof ;nLite add: ,napschem.mof

[WBEM.SYSTEMMOFS]

cmdEvTgProv.mof ;nLite add: ,evtgprov.mof

napclientprov.mof ;nLite add: ,napprov.mof

napclientschema.mof ;nLite add: ,napschem.mof

For my reduced system (without Nap, Wscenter and many others) 4 from mentioned 5 lines (nap*.mof) were deleted completely by nLite. So it was enough to delete nLite addition for cmdEvTgProv.mof.

Next, according to: http://forum.oszone.net/post-799930-73.html (Russian forum) for successful Winnt.exe/Winnt32.exe Sp3-pack installation it is necessary to delete (or comment) 5 lines in Wbemoc.inf:

[WBEM.CopyMOFs]

napclientprov.mof

napclientschema.mof

rsop.mfl

rsop.mof

wscenter.mof

Again, in my reduced system only 2 lines rsop.* (from these 5) were left after nLite, so I deleted it manually.

After these 3 changes Wbemoc.inf was repacked and used for successful Winnt32.exe installation.

Edited by litvinoven

Tried it now with winnt32 and the issue is there.

So thank you both, gonna fix this. It is not the usual winnt.exe limitation, this is that weird sp3 tenderness.