Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Day-to-day running Win 9x/ME with more than 1 GiB RAM

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,112 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Fixed!
It's interesting to notice that windows saw 3583 MiB with the ATI Radeon X850 with 256 MiB VRAM video card, but on moving on to a XFX nVidia GeForce 7950GT AGP with 512 MiB VRAM video card (so 256 MiB more) windows started to see 3071 MiB (which is precisely 512 MiB less, twice the VRAM amount added). Then again, the comparison is not perfect because the original video card was an ATI, while the new one is an nVidia...

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

Fixed!
It's interesting to notice that windows saw 3583 MiB with the 256 MiB video card, but on moving on to a 512 MiB video card (so 256 MiB more) windows started to see 3071 MiB (which is precisely 512 MiB less, twice the VRAM amount added). Then again, the comparison is not perfect because the original video card was an ATI, while the new one is an nVidia...

With my board the amount of RAM seen by windows is the same whether I use a 7950GT 512Mb or a 7800GS 256MB. I have an ATI X850 Pro 256MB lying around somewhere so I could try to install that and see if there is a difference but I am too lazy right now...

BTW, Dencorso, please don't forget to replace my audio card specs from M-Audio 2496 to ESI Juli@ if you don't mind.

:hello:

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05

Fixed!
It's interesting to notice that windows saw 3583 MiB with the 256 MiB video card, but on moving on to a 512 MiB video card (so 256 MiB more) windows started to see 3071 MiB (which is precisely 512 MiB less, twice the VRAM amount added). Then again, the comparison is not perfect because the original video card was an ATI, while the new one is an nVidia...

I have noticed similar things in my Computers. I assume it has to do with the way the BIOS allocates Memory Mapped I/O Space. My ECS Computer dropped from 3647MiB to 3071 MiB when I installed a new video card.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,112 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

...replace my audio card specs from M-Audio 2496 to ESI Juli@...

Done :)

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,112 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

This topic has been updated!

What's New?

on post #2:

ragnargd's machine configuration has been added. :thumbup

Let's keep the list up-to-date:
If you are using 9x/ME with more than 1 GiB RAM, do PM me your info and you shall be added to the list!

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,112 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

What's New?

on post #2:

TmEE's #4 machine has been added. :yes:

If you are using 9x/ME with more than 1 GiB RAM, do PM me your info and you shall be added to the list!

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,112 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

What's New?

on post #2:

loblo's III config has been added;

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05
I have completed setup of a new Z87 Intel System.

OSes: Windows 98SE / MSDOS 7.10, Windows 7 (32-Bit MBR, 64-Bit MBR and 64-Bit UEFI), Windows 8 (64-Bit MBR and 64-Bit UEFI), UBUNTU Linux 14.04.1 (32-Bit MBR and 64-Bit UEFI).
RFDISK Extended Multi-Boot Profile MBR + GPT.
Memory: 32 GiB (4x 8 GiB DDR3 DIMMs; 3464 MiB available to Win 98SE; 29182 MiB available to RAMDISKs and 64-Bit Memory SDK)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Eight Core
Video: Default VGA Only at present
Sound: None at present
Ethernet Card: RTL8111E (buggy Tenda Driver)
3 Removable SATA Trays
4TB SATA Hard Drive currently installed
SATA Blu-Ray Writer
TBPLUS Disk Package
CONFIG.SYS:
DEVICE=C:\HIMEMEX.SYS /S /V ; used with RAMDSK64 and 64-Bit Memory SDK.
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /NUMHANDLES=64
AUTOEXEC.BAT:
SPLIT8MB
RAMDSK64 T: 6000000 (6GB non-XMS RAMDISK For Internet Temporaries)
Remaining 64-Bit RAM reserved for 64-Bit RAM and Multi-Core SDKs.
vmm32.vxd (real mode), vcache.vxd: 4.10.0.2222, vmm.vxd: 4.10.0.2226 with RAM Limitation Patch 7.1 (with /M and /P Options plus SPLIT8MB)
  • Tommy likes this
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05
Add Windows ME to the list of OSes.
I solved the Installation problem I previously had.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,112 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

What's New?

on post #2:

RLoew's 9th machine has been added!

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,112 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

What's New?

on post #2:

Dave-H's new machine has been added!

condor

condor

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 04-October 06

Hello guys

I have a question

Why you use old OS on new machine?

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,407 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Because we can! :w00t:

Edited by submix8c, 05 November 2014 - 01:42 PM.

• Tommy and Canal like this

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

condor

condor

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 04-October 06

Good answer

But many new applications do not support 9x, 2K.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,876 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
And they know that and don't care...
  • Canal likes this

condor

condor

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 04-October 06

OK

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10

Hello guys

I have a question

Why you use old OS on new machine?

My Pentium 4 2GHz Windows 98 machine boots and runs a heck of a lot faster than my main Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Windows 2000 machine. Also, the fact Windows 98 does mostly what I need it to do is a good reason for me to use it. :)

• Canal likes this

Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98 Second Edition

2dtzy51.png
stillwin9xmsfnbt0.png

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,112 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

I have split the posts about Canal's machine into his own project thread, which is located in the proper sub-forum <link>. :yes:

relayer

relayer
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 16-December 14

Amazed and pleased this topic is still going! Happy to be among retros :)

I am creating 2 Win98se computers from laying-around parts with added "new" parts.

First is Calliope, who will be a music-making machine, because the drivers for the Echo professional sound card got totally messed up in XP. They require direct hardware control. Tired of people recommending I use a VM; I've tried Virtual Box, VMware, DOSbox, several other EMUs & the hooks into the system just don't work for squat.

Her config:

Asus P4B533 with Pentium 4 2.4GHz Northwood CPU

HIS Radeon 9000 for mere display, not gaming

1.5GB PC-1600 & Brookdale chipset (intel 845e)

Echo Digital Audio (12 in, 24 out)(96-bit internal files)

Pioneer cdrw

Nothing else because she has only 1 job to do.

I managed to get her to boot with 1GB RAM, but she absolutely refuses to use another 512MB. I have tried all the tricks in this forum & she still stubbornly refuses to boot with the extra 512. However, all this reading has made my brain go back in time (which is fun) so I expect I'll remember some more tricks; maybe they will work.

2nd computer - Arcadia

My original, FULL-TOWER (and I mean full tower - 2ft 1" - there's a lot of space in there :D) holding:

Abit BX6rev2 440BX mainboard

PIII 800MHz

Rage Pro AGP 2x card + All-In-Wonder TV tuner (soon to be yanked)

Some kind of Soundblaster (haven't looked yet)

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro (THE BEST STICK)

CH Pro Pedals

She had 384MB of RAM last I checked. I will be trying to get her to at least 1GB. She will be a games machine for DOS & early Win games (up to DirectX 9).

Looking over ebay & Amazon, I can get a (1998) $500+ graphics card for ~$35. WOOT! Dallying between the GeForce ti4200, ti4600, FX 5950 and the ATI-side 9700, 9800pro & 9800XT (with Angel's amazing Omega drivers - the only thing that made me love my Rage Pro)

So that's it, my projects over the winter.

And a big HELLO to all you other Retronaughts!

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,112 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Welcome to MSFN! :hello:

You want a machine to recognize and use up to 1152 MiB, you can do it just with tweaking on 98SE. You want it to actually recognize and use more you've got two options: buy RLoew RAM Limitation Patch (then you can go up to somewhat less than 4 GiB) or upgrade to ME (then you can go up to just somewhat less than 2 GiB, but for free). There are no other ways.

relayer

relayer
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 16-December 14

Welcome to MSFN! :hello:

You want a machine to recognize and use up to 1152 MiB, you can do it just with tweaking on 98SE. You want it to actually recognize and use more you've got two options: buy RLoew RAM Limitation Patch (then you can go up to somewhat less than 4 GiB) or upgrade to ME (then you can go up to just somewhat less than 2 GiB, but for free). There are no other ways.

Hi & thanks! I think I know why there are 2 RAM sticks - one @1GB and 1@512... probably (all that time ago) I knew about this problem & used the one 512mb stick for installing. Ah, well, at least my memory is working again on this problem; it's fun!

For what I want to run, more than 1GB is way way overkill and not needed (as I have killed the XP install to make it a pure 98se box)

Now, I must do something about that clanking, "flying-saucer whirring" HDD. *seeks trusty Ghost boot disk*

Edited by relayer, 16 December 2014 - 10:53 PM.

relayer

relayer
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 16-December 14

Reporting back in... I'd forgotten how stubborn Win98 could be about IRQs... several hours later, I got the Soundblaster 128 (an Ensoniq/software card) and the new (for me) ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW to work at the same time. Hoping to find a real Blaster on eBay as I have two ISA slots on the board.

Also got the USB 2.0 working with the Win9x_USB_2_0_support_33e package. Had it on an old jumpdrive, so copied it in 1.0 then removed those drivers; rebooted and installed the 2.0 and it worked like a charm.

I did NOT like the Unofficial 98 SSP3 - it did some tricky things with policies and I quit fighting it and reformatted and reinstalled. I like the Autopatcher for Win98se SP2 Full package although this machine will not be connected to the Internet & a lot of the patches were for security. Saved me tons of time tracking down patches.

Managed to find two "brand-new" sealed-box WD 80GB EIDE HDDs. Although S.M.A.R.T. tells me the 14-yr-old WD 6GB & the 10-yr-old WD 40GB are in good condition, I'm taking no chances. Mirroring both machines onto new drives.

Excuse me now while I go fly a plane with my cool joystick and pedals :D

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10

Okay, so I'm on the fence with this one and I'm thinking about purchasing RLoew's RAM patch. I'm currently sitting at 1GB as it is and my motherboard can support 2GBs maximum. I really don't do much with the computer except for working with MS Office, IRC, Project 64, and a bit of internet browsing. So what I want to know is, would I honestly benefit from having the extra gig installed with the patch or will it basically be a worthless upgrade? I feel trying to locate 2GBs of DDR RAM and being able to test it out for only 10 minutes at a time wouldn't suit my fancy so maybe a few others who have this installed would be able to help me out here.

Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98 Second Edition

2dtzy51.png
stillwin9xmsfnbt0.png

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,112 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

The thing that changed most for me is working with pictures (using software like PrintShop Pro and LView). In all other things I usually do it was less noticeable. But my setup is peculiar since, having 3 GiB, I ended up allocating 1.5 GiB for windows and the other 1.5 GiB for a huge RAMDisk (only feasible with RLoew's non-XMS RAMDisk), in which I put the TEMP directory, and things like the Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and History, and all the things I'd like to go away on reboot. Then again, there's another aspect: Win 98SE becomes way more stable (crashes less) after adding RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch. That is quite noticeable for a day-to-day user, but may elude the casual user. VMM.VxD's memory management is not just fixed, but actually improved by RLoew's patch, in my experience. And the patch is not that expensive... what's the actual cost of one single hamburger (not cheeseburger) at the McDonald's nearest to you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users