Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Day-to-day running Win 9x/ME with more than 1 GiB RAM

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,869 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Fixed!
It's interesting to notice that windows saw 3583 MiB with the ATI Radeon X850 with 256 MiB VRAM video card, but on moving on to a XFX nVidia GeForce 7950GT AGP with 512 MiB VRAM video card (so 256 MiB more) windows started to see 3071 MiB (which is precisely 512 MiB less, twice the VRAM amount added). Then again, the comparison is not perfect because the original video card was an ATI, while the new one is an nVidia...

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

Fixed!
It's interesting to notice that windows saw 3583 MiB with the 256 MiB video card, but on moving on to a 512 MiB video card (so 256 MiB more) windows started to see 3071 MiB (which is precisely 512 MiB less, twice the VRAM amount added). Then again, the comparison is not perfect because the original video card was an ATI, while the new one is an nVidia...

With my board the amount of RAM seen by windows is the same whether I use a 7950GT 512Mb or a 7800GS 256MB. I have an ATI X850 Pro 256MB lying around somewhere so I could try to install that and see if there is a difference but I am too lazy right now...

BTW, Dencorso, please don't forget to replace my audio card specs from M-Audio 2496 to ESI Juli@ if you don't mind.

:hello:

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05

Fixed!
It's interesting to notice that windows saw 3583 MiB with the 256 MiB video card, but on moving on to a 512 MiB video card (so 256 MiB more) windows started to see 3071 MiB (which is precisely 512 MiB less, twice the VRAM amount added). Then again, the comparison is not perfect because the original video card was an ATI, while the new one is an nVidia...

I have noticed similar things in my Computers. I assume it has to do with the way the BIOS allocates Memory Mapped I/O Space. My ECS Computer dropped from 3647MiB to 3071 MiB when I installed a new video card.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,869 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

...replace my audio card specs from M-Audio 2496 to ESI Juli@...

Done :)

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,869 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

This topic has been updated!

What's New?

on post #2:

ragnargd's machine configuration has been added. :thumbup

Let's keep the list up-to-date:
If you are using 9x/ME with more than 1 GiB RAM, do PM me your info and you shall be added to the list!

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,869 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

What's New?

on post #2:

TmEE's #4 machine has been added. :yes:

If you are using 9x/ME with more than 1 GiB RAM, do PM me your info and you shall be added to the list!

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,869 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

What's New?

on post #2:

loblo's III config has been added;

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05
I have completed setup of a new Z87 Intel System.

OSes: Windows 98SE / MSDOS 7.10, Windows 7 (32-Bit MBR, 64-Bit MBR and 64-Bit UEFI), Windows 8 (64-Bit MBR and 64-Bit UEFI), UBUNTU Linux 14.04.1 (32-Bit MBR and 64-Bit UEFI).
RFDISK Extended Multi-Boot Profile MBR + GPT.
Memory: 32 GiB (4x 8 GiB DDR3 DIMMs; 3464 MiB available to Win 98SE; 29182 MiB available to RAMDISKs and 64-Bit Memory SDK)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Eight Core
Video: Default VGA Only at present
Sound: None at present
Ethernet Card: RTL8111E (buggy Tenda Driver)
3 Removable SATA Trays
4TB SATA Hard Drive currently installed
SATA Blu-Ray Writer
TBPLUS Disk Package
CONFIG.SYS:
DEVICE=C:\HIMEMEX.SYS /S /V ; used with RAMDSK64 and 64-Bit Memory SDK.
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /NUMHANDLES=64
AUTOEXEC.BAT:
SPLIT8MB
RAMDSK64 T: 6000000 (6GB non-XMS RAMDISK For Internet Temporaries)
Remaining 64-Bit RAM reserved for 64-Bit RAM and Multi-Core SDKs.
vmm32.vxd (real mode), vcache.vxd: 4.10.0.2222, vmm.vxd: 4.10.0.2226 with RAM Limitation Patch 7.1 (with /M and /P Options plus SPLIT8MB)
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05
Add Windows ME to the list of OSes.
I solved the Installation problem I previously had.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,869 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

What's New?

on post #2:

RLoew's 9th machine has been added!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN