What Format Does A Movie Have To Be To Watch On A DVD Player?

Redhatcc

lol what a noob question i feel like this is but...

i have a movie that is .avi, what format do i have to have it in to watch it on a dvd player? .dvd? and what software would you suggest?

thanks tons!

thanks ricktendo64

i got convert x to dvd and changed to to .dvd format but havent tried it yet. if that doesnt work i will try to burn "as is" like you said..

thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is determined by the DVD player, for which formats can be played, and also the video if it will be handled.

Newer video players are starting to handle DivX format, so if the video is encoded as divx, and your DVD player says it can play them then you're fine just burn it as a DVD Data disc.

However if it does not handle DivX format, and/or the video is not in DivX format then you must re-encode the video using a program such as DVD Flick.

Or if your lucky and have a chipped xbox w/ XBMC (or some other good home entertainment unit), you can probably just burn the video files and put them on there, or if its an xbox plug a network cable to it and play it from there. :P

thanks ricktendo64

i got convert x to dvd and changed to to .dvd format but havent tried it yet. if that doesnt work i will try to burn "as is" like you said..

thanks again!

ConvertXtoDVD is probably the best one there is since its so easy to use (i use it all the time) it will create a folder its name being the name of your movie, inside u will have two folders;

Auido_TS

Video_TS

Now you just use ConvertXtoDVD to burn then to DVD just select the folder in which the other two are stored and bingo!!

Hope this helps i can make a tut for u if u get really stuck ;)

Stoner81

• 1 month later...