SP3 & WindowsMedia 10

DPS

Slip of SP3 and WM10 appears to generate a good SOURCES, but install of the resulting file actually results in WM9. I see by separate discussion of SP3 and MCE, that SP3 appears to install WM9 no matter what. TC's update list for SP3 doesn't list WM10 as an option. Is my understanding correct? The only way to get WM10 is by adding it later (via GUIRUNONCE)?

Why do people keep saying that? HFSLIP is perfectly capable of slipstreaming the Service Pack too, and it does it before anything else. Moreover, the Service Pack is slipstreamed into the source in the SOURCE folder.

How HFSLIP works:

1) slipstream Service Pack into SOURCE

2) extract hotfixes and collect binaries into temporary folder

3) copy SOURCE into SOURCESS

4) slipstream collected binaries into SOURCESS

@DPS

I haven't tested slipstreaming WMP10 into XP SP3 because I didn't consider it "crucial" enough to delay the release of HFSLIP 1.7.6 even more. Also, the plan is to remove support for it in the future (the pre-alpha of HFSLIP 2.0 that's available here already doesn't support it).

By the way, I'd like to know why you're using WMP10. WMP9 should play what WMP10 plays, and if you still want to upgrade why not take WMP11? I can't keep supporting every single version that Microsoft releases, and doing that slows down the HFSLIP run for people who either want "the basics" (point updates for stock components) or "the latest" (major upgrades).

This is not a reproach; I'm only trying to find out what's so special about WMP10.

About WMP11:

I've been playing arround with WMP11 and am absolutely disapointed. When starting WMP11 it always want's to start the UPnP service and some more services. I do not need this service (I've deactivated about 20 unnecesary services). Since I've deactivated it, I always get an error in the syslog that UPnP could not be started. For me that's simpy junky software. If I do not need UPnP why does WMP11 want to start it?

I do would like WMP10 being integrated because eg. Media-Portal requires WMP10 as a minimum. But with SP3 an integration of WMP10 does not work for me any more :(

Installing WMP10 manually on a XP SP3 system works without any problem.

Edited by Bugs Bunny

I know how HFSLIP handles SP3 and all other updates, like TC said, but have you tried my approach? maybe some weird error/incompatibility prevents WMP10 from being successfully slipstreamed in the same "run" along SP3...

Plus, if your source is already at SP3, you will save A LOT of time every time you run HFSLIP (because you'll only be slipstreaming IE7+WMP11 and post-sp3 HFs, and not SP3 EVERY time, it's as simple as that)

bye!

The only time HFSLIP will slipstream a Service Pack every time you run it is when you activate the backup routine, which is TURNED OFF by default.

In a normal situation, HFSLIP will slipstream a Service Pack only ONCE. The next time you run HFSLIP, it will see that the OS in the SOURCE folder was already patched so it won't patch it again.

That is, IF you don't delete the SOURCE folder every time (like I do). When I use HFSLIP, I run it, to create the necessary folders, then copy the source from CD and finally copy all HF/updates/cabs/etc.

(needless to say, my CD source is already at SP3 level)

That way, I don't have files sitting on my HD, just wasting space.

Cheers!

Edited by jvidal

I had time to test it now with HFSLIP 1.7.7 but for me it does not work. Used a source that already contained SP3 and added the following things for WMP10 (HF folder):

mp10setup.exe

WindowsMedia10-KB936782-x86-DEU.exe

WindowsMedia6-KB925398-v2-x86-DEU.exe

WindowsXP-KB923689-v2-x86-DEU.exe

WindowsXP-KB941569-x86-DEU.exe

After the first logon I started wmp and the setup dialogue for WMP V 9 appeared imediately. After completing the dialogue a message appeared that wmp had not been installed corretly and asked if I would like to reinstall it.

It didn't make it into the 1.7.7 final. The last test release is still available from the test releases thread; WMP9/10 handling on XP SP3 is the only difference with the 1.7.7 final.