Riprep - Network Adapters error message

I currently have the base image working (optiplex 755 and gx270) so that it will put the base xp image on the box.

My problem is though after I get that machine all setup the way we want and use riprep to create a different not BASE image.

Once we try to select this image file for distribution to the same 755 we get the network adapters error message in RIS.

What am I missing?

I have solved the problem!!!

Here is what is going on.

There were two base (flat) images in the images Dir. Only one had a sif and was recognized by RIS. Basically we had a real old base in the images dir that we didn't want to physically delete but we REMOVED it from RIS and then renamed the dir to something like blahblah_deleteXXXXXX. This dir. did not contain updated drivers as we don't use it anymore. Then we had our base we actually used in RIS with the drivers that worked.

So Riprep images work differently than RIS images and here is how. In all the reading I have NEVER seen any documentation on this or anyone document this issue. For me it was DUMB luck that I found this.

RIS - Creates PNF files for the drivers in the BASE you use and uses these PNF files.

RIPREP - Creates PNF files in the first BASE and always uses these PNF files. Now what do I mean by FIRST. I think it is by alphabetic sort. Not for sure on that but all I can come up with. Basically "Blah" comes before "Windows Base"

So how did I find this out. Well searching for PNF's and deleting them (search taking for ever) I was noticing that pnf files kept getting created in the blahblah dir. As I thought this was weird I thought I will just delete that directory now as it is about time. Immediately after this I noticed that the PNF files don't get created in every dir which was my explanation for why they were being created in "blahblah". I then noticed the PNF's being created now in the base with the correct drivers. So we tried a riprep image and it worked!

I hope I have not confused the subject anymore as I'm sure the above isn't the best explanation!

• 2 weeks later...

So another question related to riprep and ris.

Obviously I see now how the PNF's work but:

How does the OEM drivers work including TEXTMODE mass storage drivers?

Reason I ask is I have a RIS image that loads these textmode drivers to load a hard drive for SATA AHCI but if I riprep it afterwards the riprep image will get the No hard drive found error message.

=========================================

Ok I have fixed it but would like to know what it was exactly.

I first copied my entire $OEM$ folder over to the riprep image. Is this needed? Is the entire folder needed? Or just the textmode portion?

I then went into the .sif and added all my statements for:

[unattended]

OemPnpDriversPath = "drivers\... \\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\$OEM$\textmode"

DUDisable=no

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[MassStorageDrivers]

[OEMBootFiles]

------------------------

... is all the folders I have drivers added.

Edited by lawson23