Cannot install xp after vista and more...

ciarlo

Yo,

I am having a few problems trying to fix my friends computer.

The first one is, he has windows vista buisness edition installed, and we are trying to install windows xp sp2, but it will not let us.

I insert the xp cd and run from bootup, it then copies over the files but the writing is all messed up, as shown in the image below:

http://sh1n0b1.com/images/messed.jpg

(Also the same in the BIOS and the starting POST after this point)

Then we get past the partition part, when it comes up with the estimated time left, we get an error, as shown in the image below:

http://sh1n0b1.com/images/asms.jpg

We have tried 3 different xp pro sp2 disks, wether this would make a difference or not, as it has not gotten to the part about the serial code.

(-I have managed to fix the installing xp problem by installing to a different harddrive. The old one was SATA and the new one is IDE, incase people are having the same problem.-)

The second problem we are having is the writing, if anyone knows why it is doing this after we try to install xp.

The third problem is that after we reinstalled vista buisness, got all the updates, and started up a game (2moons is the title if needed) about 10 minuites into the game, the screen started flashing for about 30 seconds and then the monitor went off, after which we got the Blue Screen of Death, and the computer automatically restarted. We got an error report of the blue screen after booting back up which was as follows:

http://sh1n0b1.com/images/blue.jpg

Any help on any of the prolems is much appreciated.

~Dave

Edited by ciarlo

First, Dont install over an existing OS (XP over Vista). You have to delete the partition (there are some tools you can use like gparted(freewere) or partition magic, or even the built in XP Partition thing). That SHOULD fix all of your problems, cause there is stuff left over from vista thats causing you to bluescreen.

Edited by x-Shadow-x

Thanks for the replies.

We have manged to some how get xp installed on the SATA harddrive, but now the problem is that we are getting a code 10 error with the graphics card, which is a Nvidia geforce 8500 gt.

I believe this has something to do with the Bios, but we cannot make out what to change as the writing in the bios is all messed up and we cannot understand it.

We will continue to try and work out this problem, but any help is appreciated.

Also, does anyone know how to manually update the BIOS?

The motherboard is a Nforce 4M-A.

Thanks.

~Dave

you mean to say even in bios without windows your screen is messed up and struggle to read it? that could be a monitor issue or graphic card..tryed hookin up to another monitor as a test? try resetting the CMOS on your motherboard and see what happens..get back to us

Thanks for the reply.

I have been speaking to a friend about the bios problem, and he said i should try and update the bios so im gonna give that a try.

About the monitor and so on, it is not the monitor that is the problem, as shown in these pics:

http://sh1n0b1.com/images/bios1.jpg

http://sh1n0b1.com/images/bios2.jpg

That is how the bios is and some of it is readable, other parts make no sence.

Also i must add that, with windows vista installed, we get a code 43 error, and in xp, we get a code 10 error. (on the graphics card -Nvidia Geforce 8800gt- in the device manager.)

I will update if we make any progress on this.

Thanks

~Dave

I have reset the CMOS and am now going to make a fresh install.

I have deleted the partition and done a full format of the harddrive, and then reinstalled vista, and i am still getting the code 43 error on the graphics card.

This is really making me annoyed now.

Everything was ok before we switched it to vista...........

~Dave

Edited by ciarlo

I'm just wondering, i went into the system information to check conflicts, and i'm pretty sure this means that the graphics card is conflicting, or maybe the pci express port is broken.

System Information report written at: 06/01/08 22:14:56

System Name: DSDERECO-PC

[Conflicts/Sharing]

Resource Device

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x000003AF PCI bus

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x000003AF Direct memory access controller

IRQ 21 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

IRQ 21 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

IRQ 22 Realtek AC'97 Audio

IRQ 22 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

I/O Port 0x00006000-0x0000FFFF PCI bus

I/O Port 0x00006000-0x0000FFFF nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

I/O Port 0x00001C00-0x00001C80 PCI bus

I/O Port 0x00001C00-0x00001C80 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port

Memory Address 0xF8000000-0xFBFFFFFF nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port

Memory Address 0xF8000000-0xFBFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003DF PCI bus

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003DF nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port

I'm not a computer genius, so if anyon can help, it's much appreciated.

Thanks.

~Dave

Looks like we've found the problem...

NVIDIA has determined that this issue is specific to nForce3 based systems utilizing AMD Athlon X2 dual core CPU's and running Microsoft Vista. The NVIDIA nForce3 core logic predates multi-core CPU's and was not designed to support them. As a result this problem will not be resolved via drivers or system bios updates. At this time the only known solutions to this issue under Microsoft Vista is to use a single core processor, or to upgrade to a newer motherboard platform.

although that says nforce 3 and he has a nforce 4 motherboard......

Confusing.

~Dave