booting from usb: noting happends

Followed the procedure with multiboot_usb 9 to make a bootable usb stick with windows xp pro sp2 stripped with nlite. Everyting seems fine, exept when i put the stick in the machine and during boot press F12 to selekt the usb key for booting device, nothing seems to happen. It's like the pc hangs.

It is a lexar 1 gb stick. When i put for example ghost on it as bootable device the system boots fine from usb.

What can be the reason (so manu of course).

I have not delete the option in nlite: manual install of setup.

surfertje,

you need to give more details when asking for support, there is no way anyone can know which steps you took, the batch allows for several different choices, you have to report which one(s) you took in order to be able (maybe ;) ) to suggest you a solution.

WHICH option did you choose when fdisking/formatting?

echo  Format USB-Drive with FAT or NTFS - FAT32 is very SLOW for Install of XP
echo.
echo P) PeToUSB - FAT Format - Max 2 GB
echo.
ECHO To Format USB-Drive : Enable Disk Format with LBA FAT16X
echo Do NOT Select here FileCopy of BartPE
echo FAT Format Supports Direct Booting with MS-DOS using MULTI_CONTENT
echo Install of XP from USB in 30 minutes - Buffalo FireStix 2 GB
echo.
echo. H) HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool V2.0.6 - NTFS Format - use X_CONTENT
echo.
echo NTFS Format Supports DOS Boot Floppy Images via GRUB4DOS Menu
echo Install of XP from USB in 16 minutes - Corsair Flash Voyager 4 GB
echo.
echo Do NOT use HP Tool for USB-Harddisks having more than 1 Partition
echo WARNING - HP Tool Formats whole Disk - Second Partition is Lost
echo.
echo.
echo N) No Format - Use USB-Drive with FAT or NTFS Format by Windows XP
echo Or Update Existing Bootable USB-Drive with NTLDR Bootsector

If you already have ANOTHER way to make the stick bootable that works, use THAT way, then choose the N) option.

jaclaz

My mistake, i am sorry.

I am using option H HP disk formatting and in the screen that appears i choose NTFS. When it finishes with formatting i choose the xp source. After that choose the usb drive and then option 3 copy the files.

A question appears: if i want to change te bootsector of the usb to NTFS - vista i choose yes. Maybe this is wrong because i am using windows vista, maybe i must create the usb stick with the multiboot_usb programm in windowsxp?

Warning:

post-132150-1212417497_thumb.jpg

When you prepare the USB-stick from a running Vista OS,

you have indeed to answer Yes for:

Make NTLDR BootSector for Windows XP boot.ini Menu

So that is OK. Vista OS can be used to prepare the stick.

What you should try and need for Install of XP from USB is to change in the BIOS the Boot Priority:

Read the END Help Screen:

Boot with USB-Drive plugged and Press [Delete] or F2 to Enter BIOS Setup
Change BIOS Boot Settings:
Harddisk is First Boot Device Type and USB-Drive is seen as First Harddisk
Reboot from USB-Drive and Make Selection from Boot Menu

Edited by wimb

Warning:

post-132150-1212417497_thumb.jpg

When you prepare the USB-stick from a running Vista OS,

you have indeed to answer Yes for:

Make NTLDR BootSector for Windows XP boot.ini Menu

So that is OK. Vista OS can be used to prepare the stick.

What you should try and need for Install of XP from USB is to change in the BIOS the Boot Priority:

Read the END Help Screen:

Boot with USB-Drive plugged and Press [Delete] or F2 to Enter BIOS Setup
Change BIOS Boot Settings:
Harddisk is First Boot Device Type and USB-Drive is seen as First Harddisk
Reboot from USB-Drive and Make Selection from Boot Menu

In the bios i can choose:

hard rive sequense: USB and system bios boot devices (i tried both).

Boot sequense: floppy-harddisk-cdrom and integrated nic there are no other options.

There is no boot from usb option although i can select it when pressing F12.

This doesn't work also.

Your USB-stick should be visible in the list of Harddisks in your BIOS (in case of + sign use Enter to Expand the List)

Move your USB-stick to first position, above your Computer Harddisk and then Save BIOS Settings.

After Reboot from the stick, wait sufficient time to get the boot.ini Menu

Also:

Have a look at your USB-stick Drive BootSector using TinyHexer

e.g. found in MBR_Backup.zip

Save the Drive Bootsector of the Bootable and the Non_Bootable stick using MBR_Backup.cmd,

and send these as zip Attachments to the forum.

How was the Bootable stick with ghost prepared, what is the format and what program was used to make it ?

Can you give a Windows Explorer Screendump of this stick, similar as ScreenShot 16 of USB_MultiBoot_9 ?

Show Details and Hidden + System Files.

Edit:

Use a different computer and try Booting from the stick prepared with USB_MultiBoot_9.cmd

Most likely the problem is your computer and not the stick.

Edited by wimb

I have tried another boot stick wich was created with HP but not within multiboot. The pc now boots and comes with a menu. New problems arrive.

When i select option 2 then after hitting enter a HAl error appears, so i think try option 1 then getting a bluescreen with 00007 stop error.

Reading the FAQ tells me that this is due to the sata drivers and bios setting. But i don't have a sata drive installed. It is a Dell GX270 with ata drive attached. Is it a option to load the driver packs and during start press F6 and load the drivers?

What is the difference of option 1 and 2 at the bootscreen? can i choose both?

What is the best thing to solve this problem?

Option 2 boots Windows from the 1st partition on 1st Hard disk. On most sytems, that would be like booting "normally" (tansparently) from the HDD. Unless the OS is not on the 1st partition, in which case, the stick tries to make it start from the 1st partition anyway and you crash with that HAL error.

Option 1 is to launch the XP install. After the usual steps (choose partition, format, files copy), the computer reboots and defaults to option 2 to continue the install of XP by booting the 1st partition on HDD.

I have setup running. Copied the data for ntdetect.com into a new file.

Again a new problem: after a few minutes of running setup the message appears: Windows cannot start due to a diskconfiguration problem in the computer. Cannot read the selected starupdisk.

Check the path to the startup location.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Tell what you see on the screen during Text mode, when all hard drives are listed.

I am interested which one is on the top, and what drive letter it got.

Then what is below it, with what drive letter.

BTW-

...then getting a bluescreen with 00007 stop error.

Reading the FAQ tells me that this is due to the sata drivers and bios setting.

Where did you see the bolded? Or what made you interpret the written in FAQs in that way?

edit: this is the screen in question, if you can take a picture of that screen and post it here will be prefect, if cannot- then say what you see on it.

redirectphpurlhttp3a2f2ai7.th.jpg

Edited by ilko_t

The hidden partition was on top (it's by every Dell machine a hidden partition. After the hidden partition there was the main partition (C drive in front of it). This is the partition i selected.

Then i saw the USB stick 1 gb.

That from the bios setting was told to me thru this forum that i must change the boot order.

Please post the boot.ini you have on the stick. (open in notepad, copy and paste)

Most probably it is pointing to the "wrong" partition (the hidden one), as Ponch already pointed out:

Option 2 boots Windows from the 1st partition on 1st Hard disk. On most sytems, that would be like booting "normally" (tansparently) from the HDD. Unless the OS is not on the 1st partition, in which case, the stick tries to make it start from the 1st partition anyway and you crash with that HAL error.

Option 1 is to launch the XP install. After the usual steps (choose partition, format, files copy), the computer reboots and defaults to option 2 to continue the install of XP by booting the 1st partition on HDD.

And that is one of the FAQ's:

http://www.msfn.org/board/FAQs-t116766.html

Q: I am getting HAL.DLL or NTOSKRNL.EXE not found error, why?

A: You are installing Windows to a disk/partition other than first disk/first partition. Amend BOOT.INI on USB disk to reflect your setup.

For example- if installing windows on SECOND disk/third partition, and FOLDER name is MYWIN, that line in BOOT.INI should look like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\MYWIN="2. GUI Mode Setup Windows XP, Continue Setup + Start XP from HD 1" /FASTDETECT

Please note that rdisk(0) means first hard disk. Because we are booting from USB disk it becomes first, hence the first internal hard disk (which is second when start counting from our USB disk) gets rdisk(1), second- rdisk(2) and so on.

It is possible, depending on the contents of the hidden partition, that install starts and then errors out. :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I have also edit the boot.ini to use RDISK1. So the line in boot.ini is:

Multi 0 disk 0 rdisk 2 partition 1

Is this good or must i edit it otherwise?

I don't need the hidden partition, so i format the hidden partition?

Well, how you set up your system (removing a partition and/or formatting a partition or the entire disk) is up to you, we cannot say what it would be best for you.

First partition on first disk is:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

when the system is booted off the USB stick, disks are shifted up by one, same partition becomes:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)

But since you have as first partition the hidden Dell one, the "right" partition is:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)

And when the system is booted off the USB stick, this second partition becomes:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)

Do read these:

http://www.msfn.org/board/BOOTINI-and-diff...5.html&st=2

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...f.mspx?mfr=true

jaclaz