File that wont delete (makin me mad!)

ixy

Hello!

I have a user whose recycle bin upon a request to delete files, will do so but then bring up a messge saying "are you sure you want to remove WINDOWS". The odd thing is, it only happens when the user is offline. I've been through a lot of potential fixes included viewing and deleting the files in safe mode via dos but to no avail. At one point I got this:

"Cannot remove folder D@1: This operation is supported only when you are

connected to the server".

Its a dinger of a problem, not show stopping but annoying. Another odd thing is that the dir appears to called something entirely different when viewed offline via cmd window.

A huge virtual beer for any solution!

Cheers

Ixy

This sounds like something i just read about, but I cant find it right now. It had to do with 'folder redirection' and hard links. Whatever I was reading had a warning about sending one or the other to the recycle bin. (hardlink or a redirected folder link). The problem being that while sending the link to the bin would not affect the files in the referenced folder, it would affect the files when you empty the recycle bin. It would follow the path and try to delete everything.

Sorry, but I have never used hard links or folder redirection, and i only read it as a curiosity as someone else had an issue with SP3 and the way it handles folder redirection.

This may or may not have anything to do with your situation, but it sounds like it may be relevent.

You may find this info on junction points helpful.

ms site

Edited by captainvideo