Boot USB stick on a PC that don't support USB Boot

xtremee

Is BIOS upgrade will add the feature to boot from USB storage device?

I have Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG and i google a lot but can't find either the update or the info about USB add feature.

Hope that anyone can help

Thanks in advance

Edited by xtremee

Is BIOS upgrade will add the feature to boot from USB storage device?

I have Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG and i google a lot but can't find either the update or the info about USB add feature.

Hope that anyone can help

Thanks in advance

Check your motherboard's Official home page

Thanks for reply.

i check the motherboard website and find this.

i also check the BIOS in the page of motherboard and i can't find if the upgrade will add feature of USB storage boot up or not !!

:/

I checked the Gigagbyte F7d BIOS and have determined that it should support USB boot devices (where the boot order is selected). Edited by Ascii2

I checked the Gigagbye F7d BIOS and have determined that it should support USB boot devices (where the boot order is selected).

Yes, it support USB boot but from HD or other devices but flash USB not working so that i'm looking for update for my BIOS.

I checked the Gigagbye F7d BIOS and have determined that it should support USB boot devices (where the boot order is selected).

Yes, it support USB boot but from HD or other devices but flash USB not working so that i'm looking for update for my BIOS.

The Gigabyte BIOS also supports "Boot other device" but its interface to change its setting is disabled and its default value is "Disabled". The "Boot other device" may be enabled by modifying the flash BIOS file.

To boot to the flash drive, the flash drive should be partitioned like a hard disk with its boot sector written to launch an operating system usually DOS or a variant) from the flash drive.

To boot to the flash drive, the flash drive should be partitioned like a hard disk with its boot sector written to launch an operating system usually DOS or a variant) from the flash drive.

I already try it. I try it with both Linux and Windows PE and it was the same i.e. no boot

I already try it. I try it with both Linux and Windows PE and it was the same i.e. no boot

Maybe you did not try hard enough.

Read FAQ's #4 and #10 here:

http://home.graffiti.net/jaclaz:graffiti.n...SB/USBfaqs.html

Please note that there are TWO versions of the "HP" USB formatting utility around, the elder one (2.0.6) appears to always make the partition active, the newer one (2.1.8) appear to be failing to do so.

In case use Beeblebrox:

http://students.cs.byu.edu/~codyb/

to set it as active (replace 00 with 80 in boot field)

It is also possible (but yours would be the FIRST report I've ever seen :w00t:) that the BIOS checks for the "Removable" bit on the device controller, depending on manufacturer and model of your USB stick (actually of it's controller) it may be possible to "flip" that bit in such a way that the USB stick will be seen as USB HD ("Fixed" device).

jaclaz

• 3 months later...

@ jaclaz,

I am so sorry for my delay on reply as I was too busy in the last 3 months due to my study and my graduation project. Anyway I am BACK :-)

I read the whole Questions and try what is suggested in the Q#5 but non of them working with me

1. Motto Hairu► This method is used to add USB support to DOS so that you can access and use these USB under DOS NOT to boot from !!

2. Grub4Dos ► I read diddy Tutorial and I can't find any reference to boot from USB also I find these lines in the Tut

* Boot from any device accessible by the BIOS, including -

* Hard disk drive (HDD)

* CD/DVD drive

* USB Flash drive

* Floppy Disk drive

btw, Q#4 is trying to make USB boot like CD/HD.

Please note that there are TWO versions of the "HP" USB formatting utility around, the elder one (2.0.6) appears to always make the partition active, the newer one (2.1.8) appear to be failing to do so.
I check my USB controller and find it OHCI (not so bad for this old PC :)
In case use Beeblebrox:

http://students.cs.byu.edu/~codyb/

to set it as active (replace 00 with 80 in boot field)

How could this help? My problem is with my BIOS !!
It is also possible (but yours would be the FIRST report I've ever seen woot.gif) that the BIOS checks for the "Removable" bit on the device controller, depending on manufacturer and model of your USB stick (actually of it's controller) it may be possible to "flip" that bit in such a way that the USB stick will be seen as USB HD ("Fixed" device).

It is True man, but how can I do the flip stick<->HD ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Edited by xtremee

Ah you have an OHCI, aka Open Host Controller Interface. It is possible that your USB controller is USB 1.0, in which case booting off USB probably isn't a good idea.

So, Is there a solution/way to boot from USB instead of buy new Motherboard ?!

Ah you have an OHCI, aka Open Host Controller Interface. It is possible that your USB controller is USB 1.0, in which case booting off USB probably isn't a good idea.
xtremee's USB controllers should be USB 1.1.

xtremee, try UltraISO ( http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/download.htm ); its image write formats seem to be supported by your BIOS (make sure the device is set to boot in Boot Order). The trial mode is limited to 300 MB documents (limitation may only be regarding saving of image files; I am uncertain whether writing image files greater than 300 MB is limited).

To write an image to a USB mass storage device with UltraISO, do the following:

Open UltraISO.

Open the image file to be written.

From menus, select "Bootable -> Write Disk Image...".

Select Drive to write image and write method if necessary.

Select "Write" button.

Edited by Ascii2

@ Ascii2,

xtremee's USB controllers should be USB 1.1

UHCI --------------► older USB 1.x

OHCI --------------► Newer USB 1.x

EHCI ---------------► USB 2.0

So I think mine USB may be 1.1 !!

try UltraISO ( http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/download.htm ); its image write formats seem to be supported by your BIOS (make sure the device is set to boot in Boot Order)

I don't have the problem with making my USB flash driver a bootable one. The problem is my BIOS don't support boot from USB flash driver so it is not available in the boot order.