Production-stable Win98SE?

technoid

Hi guys, I'm new here. I have an old Socket7 system (office pc) that I have installed 98SE on. I had 95B on it for over 10 years. It was a CTX brand purchased at Costco long ago, a QDI Intel VX board that came with a Cyrix 120 CPU. I have since managed to upgrade the BIOS to the last known revision (1999, from 1996) and increased Ram to 128mb (max) and the CPU to an AMD K6-III/400. Even though the BIOS doesn't properly recognize the K6-III, it works great and 98SE seems to run nicely on it. The speed increase from the CPU alone is worth keeping this old computer. I have already updated the OS to everything I could find off Microsoft's Windows Update service. So my question is if there's any more stuff that I could ideally patch up. I would've upgraded to XP, but I don't see anything wrong using 98SE, plus I don't really want to shell out another $90-150 or so for a version of XP. I've skimmed through this site and there is a dizzying array of code I could try, but I am aware some of them are beta's or for experimenting. What do you all think? Please remember this machine will be for simple office use, mostly paperwork, nothing fancy. It's still in the upgrading process so no worries yet. Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend Autopatcher. and yes, it's true. everything is 'beta' here. mostly because most of the programmers are amateurs. they seem to work well enough for me. also Kernel Ex is nice if you need to use certain NT programs, but it sounds like you don't.

I felt 95B was too obsolete and limited the upgrades to some software. For example, I couldn't update to Flash 7 as the Adobe installer said my OS (95B) was unsupported. Same with DirectX, version 8 being the final for 95B, while version 9C for 98SE. I also wanted to update the USB without too much hassle. This mainboard has USB, but it's never been used (there's header pin connectors for it). It is probably pre-USB 1.1, not sure yet since still in progress, but I won't hold my breath if the USB doesn't work.

Will the service pack 3.2beta and the autopatcher install different things or mostly the same stuff?

I also need a good free firewall. I've been trying out Jetico, but that thing is so annoying. It keeps popping up asking so many questions for permissions. I'm used to Zonealarm and maybe that's all I really need unless you recommend another free firewall for 98SE. I'm aware of the thread of the last software versions for Win9x where I can obtain the last ZA 98SE version. Avast antivirus is working nice.

I felt 95B was too obsolete

Feelings are irrelevant, especially with the entirety of Win9x being obsolete these days.

I couldn't update to Flash 7 as the Adobe installer said my OS (95B) was unsupported

The installer is lying. Flash 7 IS supported on Windows 95. Adobe probably messed it up.

But if you really intend this PC to be used for office work, why are you bothering with Flash and DirectX? OpenOffice works fine on Windows 95.

I also wanted to update the USB without too much hassle.

This doesn't make sense. Either there are drivers, or there aren't.

I also need a good free firewall.

Kerio 2.1.5 is best. Can also be used on Windows 95.