go-oo

Steven W

http://www.go-oo.org

This link will take you to a special build of OpenOffice.org that has a few features the official version does not. They claim it has OOXML support (I'd say it has Office 2007 docx, xlsx, etc. support). I have tested a few simple docx files (on XP) and everything except graphics have worked. They claim that it is also faster than the official OOo.

Go-oo has built in OpenXML import filters and it will import your Microsoft Works files. Compared with up-stream OO.o, it has better Microsoft binary file support (with eg. fields support), and it will import WordPerfect graphics beautifully. If you are reliant on Excel VBA macros - then Go-oo offers the best macro fidelity too. If you expect your spreadsheets to calculate compatibly, or you get embedded Visio diagrams in your documents, you'll want Go-oo.

Do note that they recommend dual licensing under the LGPL and CDDL for the majority of their code.

If you go to the download page, the link for the Windows version is a bit dated, going here http://go-oo.mirrorbrain.org/stable/win32/ instead will allow you to get the latest 2.4.1 build.

I have not tested this version on Win98 as I'm not running it at the moment.

The latest version as of this posting is GoOo-en-US-2.4.1-5.exe (I guess you install a language pack if need be). If someone could test and let us know, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

I know some are disappointed with the OOo losing Win98 support. I think this version could fill some gaps for a while. Hopefully, it will work with 98 and there will be a few additional updates.

Edited by Steven W

Windows ME here with unofficial SP from MDGX, IE6SP1 and every automatic update installed ( no NET framework ) :

Application extracts,installs and works like expected.

Opened a MS Powerpoint Slide and handles new DOCX file too.

post-137838-1214257961_thumb.jpg

cons : consumes hughe amount of memory ( this machine has 192 MB Ram /PII mobile ), so nothing for people with 64 or so..

Original MS Office XP would only require 8-16 MB per Application. Enhanced with the compatibility pack from MS it can open docx too. but for free this is a nice one :-)

:sneaky:

Edited by geek
added link to fullsize of 1st attachment (caused by board bug)

I can confirm the GoOO 2.4.1 does work in the Windows 98SE. It does not have the Java plugin and the Google Toolbar plugin, as the UX version of the OpenOffice 2.4.0 has. So, I'm satisfied, because the java plugin kills the Microsoft Update system in the Windows 98. I'm not the Google Toolbar user, as well.

I tested just the Calc application. The two differences I've found so far are the DOCX support and a bit different icon and button style.