Problem: Calling wpi.hta via external program not working.

Hi, i am newbie in WPI stuff and need your help.

I am encountering a peculiar problem while trying to call WPI.hta via another .exe program (Custom made autorun .exe program that placed in the root. This has been created so that I can install the applications independently when I do not require any OS install). I am currently testing this in my pen drive.

WPI is working fine when I am starting it by double clicking on WPI.HTA file. (Both tested in hard drive and pen drive i.e. flash drive)

However when I am calling WPI.HTA via Start.exe (in conjunction with start.ini) it throws 2 error msgs before WPI page appears and functioning correctly.

My start.ini (For autorun start.exe) file contains following lines;

[splashStart]

ExecutePath=WPI\WPI.hta

1st error: Could not save WPIScripts/Useoptions.js

2nd error: Could not save WPIScripts/Windowoptions.js

Can anybody please help me to find and problem and possible fix?

Regards,

Pokemon

Total noob here but I think it should read like this ExecutePath=%CDROM%\WPI\WPI.hta if it's on your cd.

Hi thx for suggestion. but it is not working.....I am executing the wpi on running vista.....from usb disk. it is something with the usb disk. while running wpi from withiin hard drive, everything is fine..

Kel, mritter, any suggestion pls.

Thanks,

Pokemon

I sent a bug fix to midiboy to test out, he never replied back; he is on vacation. The default paths were not being set properly and a bug Kel found that I fixed made it worse. I think I have corrected, I will send you a link to dowload the latest version.

Thanks Kel for your advise, however it is not working. It made it worse, WPI is not opening at all.

Mritter, thanks for your effort. Please update me once you are done with the fix.

Regards,

Pokemon

• 2 weeks later...

:hello:

I was having the same problem using a Wise executable I created to map my network drive and then run the HTA. I ended up creating a batch file on the C: drive that ran "Z:\WPI\WPI.HTA" My executlable maps the Z: drive and a few other things and then runs the local batch file. It appears to be working now!

Good Luck!

The bug has been fixed. I hope you saw that in other posts.

You may also want to try the full path:

ExecutePath=W:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe C:\WPI\WPI.hta

just to see if that is needed.

The bug has been fixed. I hope you saw that in other posts.

You may also want to try the full path:

ExecutePath=W:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe C:\WPI\WPI.hta

just to see if that is needed.

Thanks Mritter,

I will test and confirm.

Pokemon

Hello again, I am a total Jscript / HTA noob, so please forgive me if I am missing something. If I comment out these lines at the bottom of the WPI.HTA, I no longer get the Could not save useroptions and windowsoptions error. Are they performing some needed function I missed?

Please note: I am running this from a network share when i get the errors. The logged on user account would not have rights to modify any of these files on the server.

Thanks!

// if (!FileExists(optionsFile) && hdd != "")

// SaveDefaultUserOptions();

// if (!FileExists(windowFile) && hdd != "")

// SaveDefaultWindowOptions();

Edited by bkmdano

That is the bug I fixed. It has nothing to do with that particular code, but in a totally different location. It has been fixed for a while now and will be in the next release. Not sure when that will be......keep adding new stuff like it was going out of style.

If you want to test it send me a message. I do want to make sure this is fixed for network shares.