Unable to use Vlite due to missing WIM Filter

shof515

I cant use vlite because the wim filter is missing. I tried downloading the waik, so i did but i cant installed it because it is asking to input the original disc in my drive. I tried mounting it using deamon tools, but it gets half then the mount gets disconnected. I tired extracting the .img file so i can run the installer within the folder on my desktop but says to put disc in

Well, @MagicAndre it's a way but not a solution. I've got the same problem. I know it's a free application, but I know too that Nuhi is a good professional, and the solution is correct the program availabe for download. I downgrade the version, from 1.2 to 1.1 and I'm waiting for the correction on the last version, 1.2

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand how vLite including the WIM filter is any different from any other piece of software - professional, freeware, personal, or otherwise - distributing Microsoft's runtime files. They're files that are required to make the software operate properly. Software doesn't (normally) point a person to a website to download a ___HUGELY___ oversized installer (1.3gb, for freaking out loud, come ON!) to just grab a single ~200kb file!

I think vLite has legal grounds to distribute the WIM filter as part of the package... I can't tell if it is, or isn't, in Microsoft's best interests to package the WIM filter separately anyway. I know there are easier ways (older nLite) to get it, but it's silly that it's not simply included in the current version.

I don't understand how vLite including the WIM filter is any different from any other piece of software - professional, freeware, personal, or otherwise - distributing Microsoft's runtime files.

Indeed, it's no different than any other app. But nuhi doesn't have redistribution rights for it, much like autopatcher didn't have rights to redistribute patches (and aren't doing so anymore). Various runtimes (VB, C++, etc) have different licenses permitting redistribution with compiled apps. But in WAIK's case, the license forbids it, blurbs like:

You may not

· work around any technical limitations in the software;

· reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation;

· make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation;

· publish the software for others to copy;

· rent, lease or lend the software;

· transfer the software or this agreement to any third party; or

· use the software for commercial software hosting services.

It even forbids several uses, like "you may not use these portions of the software for any other purpose, including without limitation for purposes of backing up your Windows operating system" (and then again, isn't vLite essentially making a copy of the OS from the DVD? yay for ambiguous wording). Plus, they have a "genuine windows" check on the download page, so I doubt they'd want people to redist files protected by that (it would likely be seen as a way to bypass validation)

Nuhi doesn't want to receive letters from the lawyers @ One Microsoft Way, Redmond. And it's pretty understandable.

They're files that are required to make the software operate properly.

It's a required component, yes.

Software doesn't (normally) point a person to a website to download a ___HUGELY___ oversized installer (1.3gb, for freaking out loud, come ON!) to just grab a single ~200kb file!

It's actually fairly common to have to download a full SDK for a single utility. And it's 992MB (still big, I know). Besides, it's not just a hugely oversized installer for a 200KB file, it's just that you don't happen to use the actual app you're downloading, but rather a component from it. I understand it sucks, but then again one can grab it from other places too.

It's not in the package for legal reasons. There's nothing silly about that.

The WIM filter from the WAIK is removed. Which should be fine to redistebute for private persons as it is a part of a freely downloadable but rather bulky piece of software. This is very helpful for people on slower connections, I once found myself in a similar situation when I needed imagex and had to download the whole WAIK for it. Step-by-step below for those who like step-by-steps.

1: Install vLite 1.2beta or newer.

2: Download: removed

3: Unpack the archive into \Program Files\vLite\.

4: Start vLite and click "install WIM" filters.

Fin.

Edited by nuhi

• 2 weeks later...
It won't ever be "Corrected" guys. Nuhi did what he did for a very good reason. MS has been getting REALLY anal about people re-distrubuting their files! It was done to prevent vLite from being shut down...

MS are mad

3 files and that already free to use they make it ilegit

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a pretty pathetic reply... you post that just to make an irrelevant point? That was the entire basis of this topic.

Nobody wants to download a 1gb file from M$ just to grab a single ~200kb driver. Nobody in their right mind will, either. Sanely, if given the choice between downloading - and INSTALLING ON YOUR COMPUTER - a massive 1gb download from Micro$oft, and just ditching Vistaids altogether, a sane individual would choose the option of ditching Vista.

A third option is most reasonable, which is to download an older version of vLite (1.1x), installing the filter driver, and upgrading to 1.2. It can be found relatively easily by Googling for vlite 1.1.6. Just install that, install the driver, close it, then install 1.2.

If you really want to stick it to Microsoft, set up a server to continuously download WAIK. Maybe they'll get the idea that a) Vista is crap, and B) WIM is the most important piece of that download and needs to be packaged separately. But then again, how much an act of God did it take to get Microsoft to realize that Vista is a total market failure and a worse mistake than ME, and fix up their screwups in Win7? I'm looking forward to 7's release, and after the miserable failure of Vista, that's hard to be able to say... :P

Edited by Volatus

Please don't spew such nonsense.

If someone want to use their vLite to fix up their system they will HAVE to download WAIK or find the old vLite and install it first (The ONLY thing you said that was sensible)

Nuhi wanted to avoid a debacle like Autopatcher had a couple of years ago. It is the price we pay for wanting to customize our os.

Besides a person who can READ and use the SEARCH feature will quickly know that they only need to install WAIK or the old vLite ONCE and then backup the 5 files they need. Heck building a winrar installer is super easy to...

Vista is not crap after sp1 BTW it is just a decent os nothing special.

@Volatus

READ THE RULE ON TOP OF THE vLITE SECTION:

Providing links to download individual portions of the WAIK, including but not limited to wimgfltr components, will earn you the right to be banned without further notice as per forum rule 1b.

@Volatus

READ THE RULE ON TOP OF THE vLITE SECTION:

Providing links to download individual portions of the WAIK, including but not limited to wimgfltr components, will earn you the right to be banned without further notice as per forum rule 1b.

Yet another completely irrelevant reply, and yet more fuel for my entire library of reasons why anyone claiming that Vista is even an acceptable OS has absolutely zero credibility.

P.S. NICE WORK WITH THE CAPS

What the hell is your problem?

You don't like Vista then fine, go away to the Win9x forum. But to say that some of us with at least twice the amount of experience that you have has "zero credibility" is way over the line. You are now just trolling and flaming your way to (Hopefully a vacation).

After SP1 Vista has become merely acceptable nothing more, nothing less. You should respect that some like it.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian