Server 03 to Server 08 migration

jgray1978

I am a complete newbie to server 08. I worked with server 2000 years ago and then went to BSD for many years. About a year ago I setup two Server 03 machines at my home with AD and Exchange. They are fairly simple. The AD has a few group policies to restrict the kids on some stuff. Both servers do DNS for the network and are domain controllers. The secondary machine is also a print server. The secondary machine died about a month ago so I am now just dealing with the one server. I just got server 08 enterprise and exchange enterprise. They are both X64 (obviously because that is the only way exchange comes now).

I am looking for any advise or web tutorials on migrating my 32bit 03 to 64bit 08. It is not an upgrade as I am using a new server.

FRom what I have gathered, it appears pretty straight foward. Same as before. Prep, join domain, set as GC, and it will replicate. Only problem I have is that the users have folder redirection to a share that is on the server 03 box. The only thing that I can think of is get everyone logged out, move the data to a share on the new server, and resetup folder redirection. Only problem is that the Administrator account does not have rights on the user's data. Any ideas? Should I take ownership, move the data, and then change ownership back to the users?

Also, I have no clue on migrating exchange over. I am using public folders and have heard that there are no public folders in exchange 07. I guess that it is time to study up on share point...

Well, the migration did not happen. I got to the point of demoting the old 2003 box and it wouldn't demote. It was barking about the old secondary domain controller that died. I went and the old one (ttdc2) from AD comp and users but still had issues with dcpromo. I would tell dcpromo that it was the last DC in the forest and it would error stating that it was not the last. I then tried telling it that it was not the last in the forest and it would error stating that it was the last.

Anyway, all in all everything went ok. Took 3 days (evenings after work) and two $60 books. I have two server 08 boxes us as domain controllers. Bother are GC servers. Primary server is also running exchange 2007 as well as DNS and secondary is also a print server. AD is redirecting folders as I wished. I am generally pleased. I hope for better stability then Vista.

• 2 weeks later...
Only problem is that the Administrator account does not have rights on the user's data. Any ideas? Should I take ownership, move the data, and then change ownership back to the users?

You can take ownership and it'll be okay.

I take ownership of server copies of roaming profiles and home folders all the time without a problem. Just make sure the appropriate users still have rights (I think they have to have Full Control, but I could be wrong--Modify might be enough).