Worst OS Ever? New and Improved Poll for 2008
Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:11 AM
Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:04 PM
Look here, 2/3 of all votes tell ME is the worst one, but as ME has never been very common, I even doubt 2/3 of all people have ever used it.
My personal experience covers Dos, 95a, 95b, 98fe, 98se, ME and W2k (marginally Xp), and ME isn't that bad:
- It has working USB 2.0 drivers, while these plagued 98fe and 98se.
- It has working Internet protocol programs and Internet connection sharing, while 98fe has none.
- It ships with Dll newer than 98-98se, meaning fewer are replaced by applications, leading to fewer blue screens.
- It boots a bit faster than 98-98se do, if you have enough Ram.
- Its Defrag is way better than 95-98-98se, its FDisk has one bug less. And it has the pinball!
- Most of its other "improvements" must first be switched off, granted.
Blue screens were often provoked by authentic hardware faults at the time of Via chipsets. On a Via, my 98se was as stable as a piece of soap. Now, I maintain a ME on a Sis chipset, it's been stable for 3 years.
All together, I got huge amounts of anger with 98-98se and little with ME - though none of these is as stable and swift (but difficult to install) as 95.
And I will replace my W2k as soon as Microsoft gives up Wga and activation, meaning that my next one could well be a Linux.
So I fear the horrible reputation of ME relies little on direct personal experience and much on rumour.
Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:34 PM
I had always heard from people, time after time--how bad Me is, .....and they did not even have Me on their machines!
I finally got a used PC with Me, that had been butchered by the previous owner; I worked on it for a week---and it's great!
After hearing about Me for so many years, it took on some mysterious quality for me.
Using it for the first time put me into a state of absolute bliss---similiar to various states of mind achieved through the practice of certain yoga desceplines.
Something about Me, just does it for me!!!!
Anyone else here, dares to admit that they believe Me is a good OS?
Speak up! Be not brow beaten by the weight of majority opinion!
Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:22 AM
windows me is good
now windows vista damm thats s***!!!!!!!!!!!!
am not sure why people hate wndows me because i uesd it for 10 years and win 98 for 4 years and there both were great
but windows xp was crappy and didit like it but it was ok and windows vista is so damm bad
i got win me on a computer and vista on a laptop with is about 20x more powerful then the winme comp and win me RUNS FASTER WOOOOOO
even with all crap in msconfig off in win vvista
Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:22 AM
- They introduced some new concepts, but the implementation was half-baked and it didn't work right (Upnp, System Restore, compressed folders, movie maker, WIA). At least during launch, but that's when it's most important.
- The above gave it a perception of a resource hog (since most people turned them off)
- They killed some old, but proven and working technology for no apparent reason (real-mode DOS)
- While breaking old and introducing new things, they didn't have the guts to make a clean cut, so neither worked right.
- Most important, none of the third-party programs required/targeted this exact OS version. They were written either for the previous, or for the next version. I guess it means it brought nothing essentially new/useful.
- Biggest selling point was a shiny new interface.
- Was soon replaced with another OS.
The above is not meant to be accurate, just my perception.
Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:56 PM
my personal experience extends to may os's, drdos,msdos,amigaos,beos,linux,bsd,windows 3.11,windows nt 4 and all the future nt versions, windows 95, 95b, 98, 98 second edition, ME, 2000, xp, 2003 server, mac os 9, mac os x 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, vista, 2008 server and a bunch more.
and ME is thr worst ever, seriously, i vividly remember that after a format and a clean install i got a bsod in the first boot with ME, i gave them several chances but there always problems, as well as vista, i'm getting some bsod every once in a while. Windows 7 runs very smoothly though.
Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:05 AM
On the other hand, the best versions of Windows were 98 SE, 2000 SP4, WinXP SP2, Windows Server 2003 (SP1, SP2 and R2) and Windows 7. It seems, Microsoft has learned from its mistakes[fingers crossed].
Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:31 AM
Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:42 AM
Worst non-Microsoft OS : MacOSX
Best OS : Windows XP Professional edition followed by windows vista.
In my opinion windows vista ultimate is better than XP but i am simply not used to it. But i have not experienced any serious bug in Windows Vista.
It is definitely more secure, while XP has been a target for viruses for a long time and they manage to find a vulnerability in it because of the enormous number of people using it.
but win me is fine and good
10 years and still going LOL
Well can't be helped, some people definitely found the experience with Windows Me really good, but the reason remains unknown to me.
And I have noticed that most people who are against windows vista have not tried it, but only one of whom I know managed to find much faults with Vista. There has been an enormous fixes in vista and is reliable.
This post has been edited by specialbao1: 09 March 2009 - 08:46 AM
Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:40 PM
But most all of the Windows editions are forever
i think some of x64bit OS's are bad
i hate the x64 os's and board's
Use MS-Windows Forever to make Better performence
This post has been edited by pm*: 01 July 2009 - 08:40 PM