Alternative location of Setup files when installing from HD media

Some news- Windows can be installed from a HD-like media, not using ~LS as source folder.

This was close:

http://www.msfn.org/board/How-to-boot-inst...730#entry684730

I have tried to change TXTSETUP.SIF to :

[SetupData]
SetupSourcePath = "\"
SetupSourceDevice = \device\harddisk0\partition1
MajorVersion = 5
MinorVersion = 1

Well, make it

SetupSourcePath = "\xppro\"

SetupSourceDevice = \device\harddisk1\partition1

:w00t:

Setupdd.sys finds source files in \xppro\, that's in root of a USB disk.

MsDosInitiated="1"

floppyless="1"

are not used needed.

If MsDosInitiated="1" is used, then SetupSourcePath and SetupSourceDevice are ignored, it defaults to $WIN_NT$.~LS.

Continue Text mode- source files are found and copied. No files are deleted. Migrate.inf is NOT used.

For now I used a partition on the USB disk as install target. BOOT.INI on USB disk gets:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

Different parts of Text mode see USB disk once as first disk, then as second. Having more disks or USB card readers can easily break the whole game. However, that proves how source location can be different than ~LS and MsDosInitiated="1" not used.

Another game- build a small ISO, and load it in RAM, start Setup from there.

Create folder \ISO. Copy bootsect.bin there. Create folder I386 inside, copy contents of ~BT there. Replace ramdisk.sy_ with the one from 2003 sp1. Get the modified with SourcePath txtsetup.sif and put it in \ISO\I386.

mkisofs.exe -iso-level 4 -volid ""XP"" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -hide boot.catalog -allow-lowercase -R -b BOOTSECT.BIN -hide BOOTSECT.BIN -o j:\xp.iso J:\ISO

Setupldr.bin from 2003 sp1 and ntdetect.com are in root of the USB disk.

Winnt.sif in root:

[SetupData]
BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"
BootPath = "\i386\"
OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /rdexportascd /rdpath=xp.iso"

Text mode goes fine source files are found in \xppro\, install to the same USB disk, second partition, boot.ini gets again

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

I didn't go much further, in QEMU if a second disk is used and boot.ini fixed, at start of GUI part it complains about corrupted DATA section. That must be

[setupData]

BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"

in out winnt.sif in root.

Winnt.sif inside the ISO is NOT read.

Hex edit setupldr.bin in root to use winn1.sif, leave our regular winnt.sif in USB disk root- it's not being read.

There is a possible solution- use presetup.cmd and remove from \windows\system32\$winnt$.inf the odd lines, not tested.

However, there is no much gain using RAM boot.

Still a lot to be tested, but the line "SetupSourceDevice = \device\harddisk1\partition1 makes huge restriction.

Edited by ilko_t

qemu-system-x86_64.exe -L . -boot c -m 300 -hda //./PhysicalDrive3

This is for QEMU 0.9.1. You have to change 300 whatever RAM you can afford and PhysicalDrive3 to the USB drive number. Numeration starts from 0, your first internal disk is PhysicalDrive0.

USB drive is used as QEMU IDE disk 0, all partitions are visible.

However, it's not advisable to test in QEMU, you should only test read-only operations there.

VMware has a similar option to use external disk, which could be your USB one.

Tests on real hardware are preferred.

Well, make it
SetupSourcePath = "\xppro\"

Hi ilko,

Interesting new experimental results. :)

There is always more to find out ....

At the moment I am adding to USB_MultiBoot.cmd the option to boot with boot.ini Menu from USB

with IMG or ISO Boot Image Files loaded into RAMDISK.

It is possible now to add Multiple PE Boot Images in a similar way as described by diddy

in his great Guide, Step 9a - Add another BartPE, for booting with Syslinux Menu.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=18846

In this way Multiple PE from USB-stick is possible without making Multiple partitions.

Instead of the SDI files I follow the handy aproach with IMG files used by the BootLand community.

The BootSDI.img files made with WinBuilder can be used with the next version of USB_MultiBoot.cmd

LiveXP is running quite well from USB using booting from RAMDISK with these BootSDI.img files.

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4111

This might be interesting in view of your experiments with Starting XP Setup from RAM.

The number of Downloads at CD Forum for USB_MultiBoot_10.zip is rapidly increasing,

now 30.500 since the release on June, 6th ....

Edited by wimb

LiveXP is running quite well from USB using booting from RAMDISK with these BootSDI.img files.

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4111

I used http://amalux.winbuilder.net/lx41208pg.exe to make BootSDI.img file

used for booting from USB-stick via RAMDISK.

The BootSDI.img file is located in the root of the USB-stick,

prepared with the next version USB_MultiBoot_11.cmd and using NO Copy of XP Install folders (BT and LS).

In root of stick we have additionally:

• XPSOURCE folder complete
  • SETUPLDR.BIN of Server 2003 SP1 copied as RMLD1 to USB-stick, cracked and patched with gsar
  • winnt.sif renamed as ramx1.sif

Multiple PE from USB is supported for max 9 Boot Image files either IMG or ISO

In the case of 1 Boot Image file you might keep winnt.sif as filename and don't need to patch with gsar

makebt\gsar -b -o -s:x46:xda:x74:x03 -r:x46:xda:xEB:x1A %usbdrive%\RMLD1
makebt\gsar -b -o -swinnt.sif -rramx1.sif %usbdrive%\RMLD1

where %usbdrive% is changed for your USB-stick e.g. Q:

ramx1.sif

[SetupData] 
BootDevice="ramdisk(0)"
BootPath="\i386\System32\"
OsLoadOptions="/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdexportashd /rdpath=BootSDI.img"

For ISO files we have to use /rdexportascd instead of hd ;)

In the PE environment you can first format your C: drive with NTFS format.

This LiveXP has a build in XP Setup script to specify XP Setup parameters and

to launch XP Setup with XPSetupLauncher.exe

Launching XP Setup from LiveXP PE environment is quite interesting. ;)

The XPSOURCE folder can be located on USB-stick bootdrive or on any partition of any HardDisk,

or you can even use your XP Setup CD as XPSOURCE.

This means an Alternative location of Setup files is possible in various ways and seems to be unlimited.

After launching XPSetup from LiveXP, the $WIN_NT$.~BT was made on the USB-stick bootdrive,

but the $WIN_NT$.~LS folder was made on C-drive used for Install of WINDOWS.

So the BT and LS folders are made on different drives ;)

Now on Reboot from USB-stick, XP Setup is auto-launched from the modified boot.ini file.

Filecopy to WINDOWS Install folder occurs.

Then on Reboot from USB-stick I selected to boot from HD1 to start GUI mode and again to Start XP.

The XPSOURCE remains on stick OK, $WIN_NT$.~BT folder on stick is removed.

Next XP Install from USB via LiveXP PE, the temporary folder is made again.

This works :)

The procedure needs some small modifications, prior to first reboot from USB-stick

Default in boot.ini on stick can be set to boot from HD1

MkMigrateInf2.cmd can be used to make USB-stick bootdrive U: instead of now E: (the third HD)

binifix4.cmd will be needed to repair boot.ini on harddisk (put binifix4.cmd in XPSOURCE\I386 folder)

txtsetup.sif in root of stick Add:

[SourceDisksFiles]
binifix4.cmd = 100,,,,,,_x,2,0,0

winnt.sif in $WIN_NT$.~BT folder on stick Add:

[GuiRunOnce]
"binifix4.cmd c:"

To let USB-stick be preferred Boot drive U: use:

copy migrate.inf from USB_MultiBoot_10\makebt folder to $WIN_NT$.~BT folder on stick

and make changes with makebt\MkMigrateInf2.cmd using

MkMigrateInf2.cmd %usbdrive% %usbdrive%\$WIN_NT$.~BT\migrate.inf

Change line with Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT in boot.ini on stick as:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2. and 3. Continue with GUI Mode Setup Windows XP + Start XP from HD 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 2, use if installing on HD2" /FASTDETECT
c:\grldr="4. Start GRUB4DOS Menu - DOS FPY IMAGES + Linux + XP Rec Cons + Vista"
C:\btsec\RMLD1.bs="PE 1 - BootSDI.img from RAMDISK"
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

This can all simply be automated with a batch command :)

Edited by wimb

Install from PE environment, running winnt32.exe or equivalent tool, which will run the same with some adjustments has always been an option.

The downsides are, that you cannot distribute this PE build. Now we have 2 options:

1) One builds it himself, this sends unexperienced users to something new, they want simply to install Windows from USB. I assume if one knows how to make PE, he should know how to install Windows from that environment.

2) We make this PE from the Windows source, which goes way beyond the scope of this project.

There is third option

3)Make small XP with drivers pack included off the windows source:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=3717

Do not use winnt32.exe, but rather build ~BT and ~LS folders on the target disk from a batch script.

Target has to be properly formatted, or include some simple partition tool in the small XP.

That's a lot of work and experiments, is it worth?

Edited by ilko_t

Do not use winnt32.exe, but rather build ~BT and ~LS folders on the target disk from a batch script.

Target has to be properly formatted, or include some simple partition tool in the small XP.

That's a lot of work and experiments, is it worth?

That can be interesting for a fourth option which is not too much work I think

4) - Make 2 scripts for WinBuilder, Use WinBuilder to make USB-stick and Boot from USB-stick with LiveXP

• Apps - XP Setup script to give XP Setup Parameters, to Format C-drive and
    to create on C-drive the $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS plus $OEM$ folders and Root BootFiles.
  • Finish - Create USB MultiBoot script to make MultiBoot USB-drive with boot.ini Menu,
    where the BootSDI.img Image File in the Root Directory can be used to Boot from RAMDISK with LiveXP.

Using WinBuilder to make the USB-stick will be quite easy and is not more difficult than using USB_MultiBoot.cmd

May be the script developers of the BootLand community can make the scripts for option 4

Or use the fifth option which is even more simple:

5) - INSTALL XP after Booting with PE from USB, using XP_SETUP.cmd on USB-stick.

XP Setup Batch Program was made which is copied to USB-stick by USB_MultiBoot.cmd Program

and can be used after booting from USB-stick from any PE such as LiveXP, BartPE or UBCD4WIN.

Manually Quick Format C-Install-Drive with NTFS using Drive Explorer from PE Environment.

XP Setup Batch Program will Create on C-drive the $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS plus $OEM$ folders

and OEM folder for DriverPacks and will Copy Root BootFiles to C-drive.

Unattended Setup is supported using Current_winnt.sif and $OEM$ folder for giving XP Setup parameters.

This fifth option is most nearby and I have made such a Batch Program XP_SETUP.cmd,

which provides at Boot time more freedom in the location (USB-stick, HD or CD/DVD)

and the type of XPSOURCE (Home, Prof, MCE, Tablet) used for Install of XP.

Instead of using XPSetupLauncher, I did already a manual try of the idea presented above:

• Boot with LiveXP from USB-stick prepared with next version of USB_MultiBoot.cmd see previous post:
  • Quick Format C-drive with NTFS using Drive Explorer if we want to Install XP on C-drive
  • When E: is the bootdrive letter of the USB-stick, we can Run from command window in LiveXP PE environment:

E:\XPSOURCE\i386\winnt32.exe /noreboot /makelocalsource /syspart:C: /tempdrive:C: /unattend:E:\XPSOURCE\i386\winnt.sif

• Copy $OEM$ folder with Registry Tweaks and UserAccounts to $WIN_NT$.~LS folder on C-drive
  • Copy OEM folder to C-drive if DriverPacks are used
  • Remove USB-stick and Reboot Computer from C-drive for Install of XP

The procedure is OK and there are no changes needed using binifix4.cmd and MkMigrateInf2.cmd

Now both $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS folders are created on C-drive as determined

by parameters /syspart:C: (for Bootdrive with folder ~BT) and /tempdrive:C: (for Install Drive with folder ~LS)

The XPSOURCE type used for Install is Selectable after Booting with PE from USB and

can be located anywhere: on USB-stick , HDD or CD/DVD :)

It is interesting to add this fifth option for those who are familiar already with

Booting with PE from USB using LiveXP, BartPE or UBCD4WIN.

Edited by wimb

• 4 weeks later...
5) - INSTALL XP after Booting with PE from USB, using XP_SETUP.cmd on USB-stick.

XP Setup Batch Program was made which is copied to USB-stick by USB_MultiBoot.cmd Program

and can be used after booting from USB-stick from any PE such as LiveXP, BartPE or UBCD4WIN.

Manually Quick Format C-Install-Drive with NTFS using Drive Explorer from PE Environment.

XP Setup Batch Program will Create on C-drive the $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS plus $OEM$ folders

and OEM folder for DriverPacks and will Copy Root BootFiles to C-drive.

Unattended Setup is supported using Current_winnt.sif and $OEM$ folder for giving XP Setup parameters.

This fifth option is most nearby and I have made such a Batch Program XP_SETUP.cmd,

which provides at Boot time more freedom in the location (USB-stick, HD or CD/DVD)

and the type of XPSOURCE (Home, Prof, MCE, Tablet) used for Install of XP.

Instead of using XPSetupLauncher, I did already a manual try of the idea presented above:

• Boot with LiveXP from USB-stick prepared with next version of USB_MultiBoot.cmd see previous post:
  • Quick Format C-drive with NTFS using Drive Explorer if we want to Install XP on C-drive
  • When E: is the bootdrive letter of the USB-stick, we can Run from command window in LiveXP PE environment:

E:\XPSOURCE\i386\winnt32.exe /noreboot /makelocalsource /syspart:C: /tempdrive:C: /unattend:E:\XPSOURCE\i386\winnt.sif

• Copy $OEM$ folder with Registry Tweaks and UserAccounts to $WIN_NT$.~LS folder on C-drive
  • Copy OEM folder to C-drive if DriverPacks are used
  • Remove USB-stick and Reboot Computer from C-drive for Install of XP

The procedure is OK and there are no changes needed using binifix4.cmd and MkMigrateInf2.cmd

Now both $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS folders are created on C-drive as determined

by parameters /syspart:C: (for Bootdrive with folder ~BT) and /tempdrive:C: (for Install Drive with folder ~LS)

The XPSOURCE type used for Install is Selectable after Booting with PE from USB and

can be located anywhere: on USB-stick , HDD or CD/DVD :)

It is interesting to add this fifth option for those who are familiar already with

Booting with PE from USB using LiveXP, BartPE or UBCD4WIN.

I like the 5th option much better because it's very simple and standard. That means, after I prepare my Windows XP source with nLite and DriverPack, I simply use your USB_Multiboot to format the USB drive and then select the XP source to copy to the USB without any modification. Boot PE from USB and run the a setupxp.cmd to start Windows XP Setup.

Do you have a beta version out yet to test the option 5?

Kenneth

================================================================================

*** Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB ***

Tutorial at Boot Land Forum http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5306

The package USB_XP_Setup contains 3 Batch Programs:

• Make_USB.cmd can Copy your XP Source to USB-Drive and can make it Bootable
  • BOOT_IMG.cmd Copies WinBuilder LiveXP BootSDI.img Image file to C-HDD or USB-Drive
    and makes Entry for boot.ini Menu and GRUB4DOS menu.lst for Booting with PE from RAMDISK.
    BOOT_IMG.cmd can also Create IMG or ISO BOOT IMAGE Files from LiveXP / BartPE output Folder.
  • USB_XP_SETUP.cmd can make XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on C-Install-Drive
    and will specify in TXTSETUP.SIF where to find the FULL XP Source on partition 1 of USB-Drive

Before you Start:

• Run the SFX SelfExtractor USB_XP_Setup.exe and Extract to the Root of your drive
    In this way you will get in the root of your drive folder USB_XP_Setup containing 3 Batch Programs
  • Prepare your XP Source Folder on HDD and get a fast USB-stick (Preferred)
  • Run Make_USB.cmd to Copy your XP Source Folder to partition 1 of USB-Drive
  • Copy the Folder USB_XP_Setup to your USB-Drive
    so that it is available in PE Environment after formatting C-Drive of Harddisk

The XP Setup Procedure:

• Run BOOT_IMG.cmd to Copy LiveXP BootSDI.img file to the root of your C-HDD
    and to make the Entry in boot.ini and / or GRUB4DOS Menu for booting with PE from RAMDISK
  • Connect USB-drive having XP Source in partition 1 (Connect before Booting with LiveXP from HDD)
  • Reboot from C-Harddisk with LiveXP into PE Environment
  • Then for Fresh Install, Quick Format your C Install-Drive using Drive Explorer of LiveXP
  • Run USB_XP_SETUP.cmd to make XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on C-Install-Drive
  • Reboot Computer from C-Install Drive and Select XP Setup from boot.ini Menu
  • Proceed as usual with TXT-mode and GUI-mode of Unattended XP Setup

The advantage of the present technique is that there are no changes needed in the BIOS Setting.

Booting for XP Setup occurs all the time as normal from the C-Install Drive.

Thus the USB-stick does not need to be bootable

and it is not needed that the motherboard supports booting from USB.

XP Setup Source Folder can be on USB-stick or on partition 1 of USB-HDD or second HDD-Drive.

Edited by wimb

• 5 months later...

If you follow the procedure of USB_XP_Setup described here

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5306

then you can use the Option: Copy XP Source Folder to Target Drive.

That solves your problem and XP Source can be on second partition of USB-drive.

However, in that case it is essential that your Target Install Drive is Partition 1 of your Harddisk,

so there must NOT be some Hidden Partition being the First Partition.

Edited by wimb

i want to install operating system from the second or another partition(not first partition) so i can keep my files safely from virus and it will not be deleted in other places is there any way to do like that please help me

What's your idea? How putting Setup files in a second partition will make them safer to viruses etc.?

As for your question-

Do you notice partition1? It could be partitionN. But boot files, ~BT folder has to be in the active partition anyways.

What's your idea? How putting Setup files in a second partition will make them safer to viruses etc.?

As for your question-

Do you notice partition1? It could be partitionN. But boot files, ~BT folder has to be in the active partition anyways.

i mean i want to keep the files in another partition of the pendrive because it will be not accessable by other pcs which dont contain cfadisk or dummydisk so they are safe from viruses and i can use the other memory for storage of my data is it sufficient to change that SetupSourceDevice