Server 2008 install fails

footballking3420

I used vLite on an unmodified Server 2008 Standard disc. Everything went fine until I tried to install it. It failed twice on the exact same part, Expanding Files (73%). I then receive a error about how files could be corrupt or missing although that isn't the case. I tried copying the files twice, but still I get a error.

I removed everything. It was just a test install to see how Server 2008 would perform on my computer's specs so I know if I could run it or not.

No wonder it failed. Thats why NEVER remove everything from server or else it will fail. Server is different compare to vista when it comes to vlite. Removing certain components causes server not to install. Even if you dont remove too many components and succesfully install it, then server "add features and add roles" will fail to install its features or roles as well. Only 3 or 4 components can be removed safely.

btw when vliting server, vlite gives you a warning when you select "componenets" something like this, "removing components can break add features"

My advice is, do not remove anything if your planning to use server features, as server is not bloated compare to vista, you can remove certain stuffs and it will work fine, but might cause problems later. Tweaking server with vlite is safe.

Edited by shahed26

I removed everything. It was just a test install to see how Server 2008 would perform on my computer's specs so I know if I could run it or not.

No wonder it failed. Thats why NEVER remove everything from server or else it will fail. Server is different compare to vista when it comes to vlite. Removing certain components causes server not to install. Even if you dont remove too many components and succesfully install it, then server "add features and add roles" will fail to install its features or roles as well. Only 3 or 4 components can be removed safely.

btw when vliting server, vlite gives you a warning when you select "componenets" something like this, "removing components can break add features"

My advice is, do not remove anything if your planning to use server features, as server is not bloated compare to vista, you can remove certain stuffs and it will work fine, but might cause problems later. Tweaking server with vlite is safe.

How many features is removed and whatnot has absolutely nothing to do with that the file copy part fails.

The disc has most certainly been badly burned, burn a new one at slower speed.

Do not give advice or such if you don't know what you are talking about. :wacko:

How many features is removed and whatnot has absolutely nothing to do with that the file copy part fails.

Do not give advice or such if you don't know what you are talking about. :wacko:

I know exactly what am talking about. I have vlited server countless times for testing to see how it works and its "add features and roles" function, if you do remove everything then server fails to install. If you remove few components then server installs fine, but "add features" break, only few items can be removed without loss of server add features functionality

And yes, the high speed (bad) burn disc can also be an issue as well

Edited by shahed26

I know exactly what am talking about. I have vlited server countless times for testing to see how it works and its "add features and roles" function, if you do remove everything then server fails to install. If you remove few components then server installs fine, but "add features" break, only few items can be removed without loss of server add features functionality

No, you are wrong. Please don't give advice based on your obviously lacking knowledge.

I do not use Vlite, but I'm pretty sure Nuhi didn't give support for 2008 server if it will not install when removing all components.

Me and Nuhi have had our differences, but I know he sits on that much of knowledge anyway...

In any scenario, failing file copy stage has absolutely nothing to do with capability to install, and have no relation whatsoever with removed components.

You boot from boot.wim which is loaded in memory, then the files from install.wim gets extracted to HD. After file copy to HD is done your system reboots and then your installation continous from extracted files. The only files you are altering with Vlite is the ones residing in the install.wim image. So I hope you can now see, that if file copy fails it has nothing to do with components removed.

Instead of simply base your 'knowledge' on results from clicking vlite buttons, do some reading and try to understand what is going on in the system.

Edited by Clint

No, you are wrong. Please don't give advice based on your obviously lacking knowledge.

I do not use Vlite, but I'm pretty sure Nuhi didn't give support for 2008 server if it will not install when removing all components.

Me and Nuhi have had our differences, but I know he sits on that much of knowledge anyway...

In any scenario, failing file copy stage has absolutely nothing to do with capability to install, and have no relation whatsoever with removed components.

You boot from boot.wim which is loaded in memory, then the files from install.wim gets extracted to HD. After file copy to HD is done your system reboots and then your installation continous from extracted files. The only files you are altering with Vlite is the ones residing in the install.wim image. So I hope you can now see, that if file copy fails it has nothing to do with components removed.

Instead of simply base your 'knowledge' on results from clicking vlite buttons, do some reading and try to understand what is going on in the system.

I runned into same problem as above, "server 2008 failed to install". Reason was because i also did remove everything with vlite, and server setup failed. Thats why i said, i know what am talking about. Maybe you should try testing server and remove everything with vlite, to see it for yourself.

Maybe you do have more experience than me in many things, but you can't master everything in computing, and sometimes some people with less experience than you can know more things than you in a particular topic.

Sorry don't mean to be rude here :)

EDIT: Yes you were right, the filecopy (expanding files) has got nothing to do with component removal (even i knew that), its main cause was badly burned cd. Just vlited and tested again BUT this time burned it at a low speed, (before i was burning cd at a very high speed), thats were i got the same problem as above, and gave wrong advice. So yes you were right :yes::thumbup . sorry!

Edited by shahed26

I runned into same problem as above, "server 2008 failed to install". Reason was because i also did remove everything with vlite, and server setup failed. Thats why i said, i know what am talking about. Maybe you should try testing server and remove everything with vlite, to see it for yourself.

Maybe you do have more experience than me in many things, but you can't master everything in computing, and sometimes some people with less experience than you can know more things than you in a particular topic.

Sorry don't mean to be rude here :)

EDIT: Yes you were right, the filecopy (expanding files) has got nothing to do with component removal (even i knew that), its main cause was badly burned cd. Just vlited and tested again BUT this time burned it at a low speed, (before i was burning cd at a very high speed), thats were i got the same problem as above, and gave wrong advice. So yes you were right :yes::thumbup . sorry!

That sounds good, and I'm sorry for coming out harshly. ;)