XP Media OS issues

wildbill411

I am working on a HP Pavillion DV8000. the main reason the client gave it to me is because the sound is choppy (media player, utube etc)

However it seems the issues are deeper than any sound hardware, drivers etc.

Everything is very slow.

I have done a thorough cleaning and this thing should be fast but takes ~10 minutes to start.

Process explorer shows the cpu being worked hard by "hardware interupts"

I have run full HDD scans and no luck. I also ran memtest and the memory is fine. Hijack this is clean. I scanned with Nod32, bitdefender, adaware, spybot, ccleaner also.

I also tried to restore using the OEM restore partition but I get a blue screen: STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file):\System

Root\System32\Config\SAM or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

So I do not know if it is hardware or OS related. I would just reformat and load windows but I have no disc.

Can I download an oem version? I have the MS license key?

options? ideas?

TIA

Process explorer shows the cpu being worked hard by "hardware interupts"

Update your storage drivers (Intel's)

Edit: mind you, if you tried to restore it from somewhere else and it failed, it's probably screwed up now.

Can I download an oem version? I have the MS license key?

The OEM version wouldn't do you any good, as MS won't activate it with that key, they'll tell you to use the recovery discs instead.

Edited by crahak