How to run a bat file as admin?

Th3_uN1Qu3

Just when i thought i fixed all bugs in the game i was patching, i realized it would throw voice errors under Vista or under updated XP. Turns out the game is hooked to a certain version of the ADPCM codec, and the one from 9x/Me/2k works, and the one from un-updated XP works. But when i update XP or try it under vista, boom. :no:

The problem is that those two ADPCM codec files are located in system32, and Vista asks for admin privileges to replace them. I need to do this via the command line or via an AutoIt script, with none or minimal interaction from the user. The only prompting i can accept would be asking for an administrator password to replace the files.

Help please? Or i'm going back to XP, thank you. But it would be unfair to make the game only work on XP.

you can use the Runas commonad from command line or you can right click on it and select runas.

if you type runas /? it will give you more information about the command.

runas /noprofile /user:mymachine\administrator cmd

this will open up a cmd window with the administrator privileges

you can use the Runas commonad from command line or you can right click on it and select runas.

if you type runas /? it will give you more information about the command.

runas /noprofile /user:mymachine\administrator cmd

this will open up a cmd window with the administrator privileges

It doesn't work. I get this:

cmdadminerrorzi2.jpg

Or am i supposed to also type in the username and computer name? If so i'll also need to find these via the command line. Besides, it says "Administrator: Command Prompt" in the title, then WHY THE HECK does it request admin permissions???

PS: The admin password is blank, i am the only user on the computer and have got admin privileges, and right-clicking and choosing "Run as administrator" works, but it STILL doesn't let me work with those files (imaadp32.acm and msadp32.acm). UAC is turned off btw.

Another edit: I found out i have to use takeown, well, i did a takeown /f on those files yet it STILL doesn't let me replace them. Takeown on the entire system32 folder doesn't work either. WTF is all this??? *fires up XP in Virtual PC, maximizes it and feels much better*

And yet another edit: I got the permissions set using the GUI, only that i've run into ANOTHER problem. The codecs that worked on XP don't work under Vista... I'm beginning to hate this.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

You need to have the Secondary Logon service running in order to use 'runas'.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You have a game that has sound in XP but not in Vista, so you want to copy the old decoder into Vista to see if it works?

BTW you can definitely script this, but I am not sure if it will be necessary. You need to use 'takeown' and 'icacls' for example:

takeown /f %SystemRoot%\System32\imaadp32.acm

icacls %SystemRoot%\System32\imaadp32.acm /G administrators:F