wol can windows xp what Linux seems to be unable to

bookie32

Hi again :hello: sorry about the silly title...one of those days today...one of those weeks is probably closer to the mark.

I am a great Linux fan (don't shoot the messenger) but Linux seems to have problems with certain things. Still not happy with Linux regarding a Media Center......so I have Vista for that. And they don't seem to be able to successfully get wol working with some of the kernels?

Sorry, will get down to business. Been trying for some time to get wol working with Linux - but there is always something that comes in the way!! I have reinstalled my XP PRO on a computer I would like to dedicate to a server.

I have a little home network including a home server but would like my XP server to be outside of the network and connected to the net via DHCP. Because I want to use wol...I have an account at no-ip to keep track of ip addresses with DHCP.

Again because this computer is outside my home network...I have installed no-ip's updater on the XP computer I want to use with wol.

I have checked bios and my settings are as follows:

ACPI Standby State S1 POS

USB wake up from S3/S5 enabled

Powermanagement /APM enabled

Video Power Down Mode Suspend

Hard Disk Power Down Mode suspend

Standby Time Out Minute disabled

Suspend Time Out Minute disabled

Power Button Function suspend

Restore on AC / Power Loss Last State

Resume On Ring/lan enabled

Resume On PME enabled

Resume On RTC Alarm disabled

I have a d-link 528T gigabyte pci desktop adapter which has a cable connection to my motherboard. The motherboard is an old MSI MS-3609 which by the above and cable connection supports wol.

If I trun of the computer, I can wake it again aslong as I do it within about and hour. After that time, I have to manually start it?

Is there anyone that can see what I am missing here? Do I need to make any changes in the bios?

I am really open for any suggestions that might get me on the right track.

Thanks

bookie32 :sneaky:

Hi jaclaz, thanks for coming by. Sorry if you misunderstood what I am trying to do. Sending the magic packets is not the problem, waking the computer is not the problem, but... when I shutdown the computer I can start stop the computer as many times as I like as long as I do it within a certain time.

After about an hour the computer will not wake with magic packets - I have to do it manually. I just wondered if there was a setting in bios I have missed. My network card is setup and receiving the magic packets ok it is when the computer has been turned off for a while is the problem.

bookie32 :thumbup

I'm afraid I won't be of much help for the WOL problems, never run into those issues.

Still not happy with Linux regarding a Media Center......so I have Vista for that

That's kind of strange.

Linux supports WAY more devices (including DVB-S/S2/T/C cards, for which MCE has zero support), MCE remotes funnily work FAR better in Linux than they do in Windows, mythtv lets you have separate front ends (to watch tv -- it can be a dirt cheap PC with passive cooling, running off of a flash drive -- totally silent) and back ends (for capturing/storing -- it could easily handle analog capture cards, DVB cards and ATSC tuners at once) -- this way you can watch anything live or pre-recorded from any mythtv box just like if it was local, it has way more nice features like automatic cutting of ads and re-encoding, it has better scheduling, doesn't have issues with the broadcast flag (some ppl had such issues with MCE lately), it's more customizable when it comes to pulling TV guides from different places (like DVB streams, XML TV guides and such), MCE has some issues with various containers and codecs it seems (even with reg hacks and what not, it wouldn't index/find half my stuff), I don't really care for how the menus are laid out in MCE (although that's a personal preference), from what I've seen MCE is quite memory/resource hog too, etc. And MythTV is free, with free updates forever.

I love Vista and all, but MythTV is all-around better than MCE in my opinion.

After about an hour the computer will not wake with magic packets - I have to do it manually.
[Disclaimer: I know zilch about WoL]

Are you sending the magic packet to the DNS name/unicast IP address or the MAC address?

I could imagine that if you are using the IP address resolved via DNS then you could have 2 possible issues:

- Dynamic DNS registration expires after 60 minutes, so the name no longer resolves to an IP address

- DHCP TTL is 60 minutes, so the lease vanishes and no longer associates IP addresses with MAC addresses

If you're using the MAC address all the time I guess a network device could be flushing the ARP cache periodically and as the device isn't powered on to respond to ARP queries the MAC is no longer associated with a port...

If it is multicast then the problem shouldn't occur if it's caused by a network device I assume.

If I was trying to troubleshoot this, I would probably get my hands on a hub (not a switch) and connect the machine to wake up and a second machine to it, then connect the hub to your regular network.

On the second machine run NMCAP or WireShark to see if the magic packet is even arriving at the hub after the 60 minutes has passed.

If the packets are still hitting the hub then the issue is definitely within the network card/BIOS on the target machine.

• 1 month later...

Hi again, sorry Mr Snrub for not getting back to you sooner - been busy of late.

I made a mistake by saying it was wol. I should have said wake on wan. I have checked like you say and yes the info isn't there after about an hour. I have talked to the tech guys that supply our broad band and they say it is a common problem with sending magic packages over the net.

I also talked to the tech guys at D-link who confirmed that the info disappears when there is now contact with the network card after a period of time.

He said there were third party programs that you could download that could solve this problem for either windows or linux. He wasn't able to give me more info on that.

I can, as I said before, wol on my network and wake on wan as long as I do not leave it more than an hour or so to do that.

I don't know if you know of some program that is capable of solving this problem for me?

bookie32

• 2 weeks later...

For Wake on lan to work there are a few basic requirements.

If your ethernet card is an addon one there should be a short jumper link from the card to the mother board. You should also have the wol feature turned on in your bios. Lastly your power supply must be able to supply 700 ma of power in S1 standby mode.

AlthoughI have not used this feature in quite a while never had a problem with this feature.

One more thing I would look out for is the fact that on some motherboards I have come across an experience that due to low battery condition while the clock is maintained other bios settings get reset to factory defaults.

Hope this helps.