Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Hide Administrator user on Logon but show for UAC prompt

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04
I am using Vista Ultimate x86 SP1 and want to hide the built-in Administrator account from the logon screen but still have UAC show "Prompt for credentials".

Unfortunately the following registry tweak seems to affect Secure Desktop globally...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]
"Administrator"=dword:00000000

Is there another way (GPO?) to achieve the effect without the problem shown below?

[EDIT] This even happens with "All elevation requests will go to the interactive users desktop" Enabled

before tweak
Posted Image

after tweak
Posted Image
Recommended Software: KeePass | Microsoft ICE | VisualWget | Vitamin D Video |

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

fizban2

fizban2

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,900 posts
  • Joined 14-April 05
is there a specific reason the admin account needs to be on? You could change in the local security policy not to show the last logged on user so that you are prompted for an account to log on with. that way you don't need to tweak the admin account

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04

is there a specific reason the admin account needs to be on? You could change in the local security policy not to show the last logged on user so that you are prompted for an account to log on with. that way you don't need to tweak the admin account

Well a system with multiple User accounts will stop at the "Welcome Screen" (?) and see the Administrator account. I want the User accounts to be able to elevate to Administrator without being presented an easy way to go fully Administrator by just logging is as such. This would be useful for Family PC's.

john demin

john demin
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 03-July 08
On a side note how can these messages be stopped?
Everytime I'm on my wifes laptop (vista) this is displayed, its getting on my nerves!

John Denim.

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04

On a side note how can these messages be stopped?
Everytime I'm on my wifes laptop (vista) this is displayed, its getting on my nerves!

John Denim.

Hey John I see you're relative new to MSFN :thumbup
See this topic: http://www.msfn.org/...ts-t120552.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users