A sad mistake I've done

DJ_Shay

Hi

I added some softs (*.CAB) to my unattended CD and now I want to remove some of them.

The problem is that I deleted (formated) my HDD since then and I don't have these "Last Session" things..

How can I remove those manually?

10x.

1. I don't have "LastSessions" at all.. (on CD as well)

I) What am I supposed to look for in the "Txtsetup.sif"? I went through all of it...

II) Same for "Dosnet.inf".

III) For the "sysoc.inf", I dont even have such.. there is a "sysoc.in_", but its unreadable..

10x

The sysoc.in_ is compressed and you need to uncompress it so that you can edit it in notepad and look for any referance to any .inf files for you .cab files. As for Txtsetup and Dosnet search the files for any referance to your cab and inf files and just delete them.

search for expander to compress and decompress the Sysoc.in_

Edited by Worf

How hard would it be to just start over from scratch?

Time wise it might be easier and cleaner than searching through and hacking files.

I keep a master copy of my source files that are never touched except for updates in case I mees up and have to start over again. I just start with a fresh copy of the OS source files and drop in my saved $$OEM$$ directory from my master files..... done!

search for expander to compress and decompress the Sysoc.in_

or simply open it in 7-zip....

jaclaz

Or simply use the built-in command in XP, expand which can expand files only, not compress it but you can download Cab SDK from microsoft for that ;)

How hard would it be to just start over from scratch?

Time wise it might be easier and cleaner than searching through and hacking files.

I keep a master copy of my source files that are never touched except for updates in case I mees up and have to start over again. I just start with a fresh copy of the OS source files and drop in my saved $$OEM$$ directory from my master files..... done!

Lats say that some of my stuff were only there..

It is not impossible to get them again, but I think it will be easier to just fix this one.

or simply open it in 7-zip....

It seems that WinRAR works fine.

About the files..

Is it enough to find a reference in one of them, them all, or is it changes for each case?

I don't know, but unless you have good knowledge and understaning of the interworkings of Windows and nLite, I think you're fighting an uphill battle on this project. I guess that depends on how much information you have and what parts are missing that would possibly prevent you from just rebuilding the image from scratch. I can blow through an nLite'd image build pretty fast these days! :thumbup

So.. if starting from scratch will be my LAST resort, will it be better to uninstall (if possible at all) the unwanted softs while XP is being installed rather then searching for the files and references?

Edit:

I've got a new Idea..

The Image was created by nLite, so if I'll use nLite again it will edit the files.

will it delete the previews changes? does it mean that everything that I'll re-edit will be ONLY as I re-edit them?

(and things I will not touch will stay the same?)

I think the programmer of it should know the answer for these..

Had anyone tried it?

Edited by DJ_Shay

nLite is meant to help build images, but it can't change and then put stuff back to original again.... there are no magic slippers to send Dorothy back home. LOL!

I don't know what kind of image you're working with, but it's really not a major deal to just do it over instead of wasting hours attempting the impossible. But you must start with clean source files, otherwise you'll still have major problems.

The Image was created by nLite, so if I'll use nLite again it will edit the files.

will it delete the previews changes? does it mean that everything that I'll re-edit will be ONLY as I re-edit them?

(and things I will not touch will stay the same?)

I think the programmer of it should know the answer for these..

Had anyone tried it?

Please rephrase your question so we can understand it, that will help you get an answer.

The Image was created using nLite.

If I'll use nLite again, will it overwrite or add changes the previews files?

Does it mean that everything I'll re-edit will be ONLY as I re-edit them? (things I will not change will stay the same?)

Rephrased.