How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

I recently encountered problems adding Ubuntu, ubcd5.x and Parted Magic, all use grub4dos method, with 1.0 beta8.

ubcd5.x can load into the menu, but several utility failed to work, include Parted Magic(pmagic-xxx.sqfs not found error).

Ubuntu: even a single iso installation won't work. loading it simply restart my PC. Official 12.10 iso distribution used.

Is there anyone share the same frustration with me?

Edited by Valeron

There was a bug in some grub4dos versions:

http://code.google.com/p/grub4dos-chenall/issues/detail?id=100&can=1

Get latest grub4dos package, stick to 0.4.5c versions:

http://code.google.com/p/grub4dos-chenall/downloads/list

Extract grldr and grub.exe in \WInSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos\ folder and recreate the USB disk.

If you don't want to recreate the USB disk, replace those 2 files in root of the USB disk.

If you have used the auto-format option, then you'd need to use FBInstTool to replace them in the hidden FB area of the disk, just run the tool and drag&drop the 2 files.

Or edit menu.lst and remove the NUL redirection around the lines starting with kernel and initrd as per the above topic.

As for UBCD- I don't know if it would work added it this way, have a look at their forum for clues:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/

You may also use the syslinux option and add the contents of UBCD to the disk, it should be FAT32/16 formatted.

It's not designed to, and most of these ISOs cannot be used directly with plain grub4dos CD emulation without some modifications for each of them.

Try Sardu:

http://www.sarducd.it/

http://reboot.pro/forum/100-sardu-multi-boot-builder-usbdvd/

sardu does not use grub4dos as winsetup?

Is sardu > winsetup?

Edited by bien1

sardu does not use grub4dos as winsetup?

As far as I remember there was an option whether to use grub4dos or syslinux.

Is sardu > winsetup?

That's personal choice. Try and use whichever you like better and fits your needs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi,

i used WinSetupfromUsb 0.2.3 on my external hard drive with Win7 and ubuntu 12.10. First, i decompress Win7 iso in a folder then i browse that folder in WInSetupFromUsb and finally browse Ubuntu Live iso.

I try to boot them and both start fine. But when i select Win7, when i press Install button in setup screen, a popup alert me that cd/dvd driver is missing. i don't undersrand why.... if i burn same iso in a dvd there's no problem...

This in my "menu.lst"

color light-cyan/blue light-red/blue
timeout -1
default /default

title Setup Windows
root (hd0,1)
chainloader /bootmgr

title Live Ubuntu 12.10 x86
map --unmap=0:0xff
map --unhook
root (hd0,1)
map /ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso (0xff) || map --mem /ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash --
errorcheck off
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
initrd /casper/initrd.gz
errorcheck on
map --unmap=0:0xff

i used WinSetupfromUsb 0.2.3

Try again this time using latest Beta, 1.0 beta8.

This is a known issue when the 7 is used as ".iso", but from what you write you are using a "flat" setup :unsure: :

jaclaz

i used WinSetupfromUsb 0.2.3

Try again this time using latest Beta, 1.0 beta8.

This is a known issue when the 7 is used as ".iso", but from what you write you are using a "flat" setup :unsure: :

jaclaz

thank you...can i use 1.0 beta 8 without format partition? Is there a solution modify manually some files?

hi,

i used WinSetupfromUsb 0.2.3 on my external hard drive with Win7 and ubuntu 12.10. First, i decompress Win7 iso in a folder then i browse that folder in WInSetupFromUsb and finally browse Ubuntu Live iso.

I try to boot them and both start fine. But when i select Win7, when i press Install button in setup screen, a popup alert me that cd/dvd driver is missing. i don't undersrand why.... if i burn same iso in a dvd there's no problem...

It may happen with some USB devices and certain Vista/7 versions, they are yet ready when Setup searches for the source files.

Try the latest unfinished yet hence not published, but fully functional beta9 from here, it takes care of these cases:

http://code.google.com/p/winsetupfromusb/downloads/detail?name=WinSetupFromUSB_1-0-beta9_rc4.7z&can=1&q=

You should use the Vista/7 option and point it to the ISO file, no need to extract or mount it in this version, and do not confuse it with the next option- PartedMagic/Ubuntu... ;)

Another idea- are you using USB3 port and USB3 device? Try plugging the disk in USB2 port.

thank you...can i use 1.0 beta 8 without format partition? Is there a solution modify manually some files?

Yes to the first question.

What files, you'll have to be more detailed what you want to accomplish.

@Jaclaz

It's added not as an ISO, just dump of the contents of the DVD to the USB disk and bootmgr chainloaded, nothing unusual.

@Jaclaz

It's added not as an ISO, just dump of the contents of the DVD to the USB disk and bootmgr chainloaded, nothing unusual.

I know ;), that's why it "tagged" the report as "unusual", I have never seen a "flat" asking for cd/dvd, I thought that beta 8 already was "fixed", my bad.

With all due respect :), you could change the description of WinSetupFromUSB_1-0-beta9_rc4.7z to "Experimental", instead of "Deprecated", that of WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 Beta8 from "nothing" to "Current", and post a link to:

http://code.google.com/p/winsetupfromusb/downloads/list?can=1&q=&colspec=Filename+Summary+Uploaded+ReleaseDate+Size+DownloadCount

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

there are 3 things that i don't say:

1) i use WD hard drive 3.0....if i connect it on 3.0 ports, it doesn't boot!! no problem...i use 2.0 port

2) i created 4 partitions...i use 2nd partition (NTFS) in a table on winsetup.

partitions.png

3) yesterday, i don't konw how, it worked properly one time, no popup cd/dvd driver ecc....when i try another time it doesn't work...

Yes to the first question.

What files, you'll have to be more detailed what you want to accomplish.

i thought that was possible modify menu.lst or other files to arrive at the same result of winsetup 1.0 beta 8...

i used beta 9, first i deleted all files of windows 7...then i used winsetup. i tried boot...when i select win7 setup on grub, i select first part of installation (partition 1) and works!! Then i aborted, i suppose that i will select the second stage of installation when system reboot . correct? old procedure has only one stage, the problem is it?

EDIT:

probabibly i found the mistake: with BOOTICE i hid partition used with Winsetup then i tried to boot windows and it doesn't work !!!

Foto%2023-03-13%2019%2012%2050.jpg

i tried disconnect it but it doesn't work....

then i unhid partition and it WORKS!!! probably i hid partition also when i used winsetup 0.2.3 and the only time that it worked because partition was unhide...

Edited by majinzin