How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Try if you can run this VBS script. It makes a list of your services and their status. Since it's using WMI as well, it may not start.

If it does start, please attach here C:\ServiceList\OnlyOnRequest\services.txt

If it does not start, hmm, maybe a screenshot of your services?

The only way I can reproduce this error on my side is to stop WMI service, however, there might be other dependent services or unregistered dll files- you may try dial-a-fix and re-register everything, it does not harm, although I'd prefer to find out why exactly WMI fails.

Edited by ilko_t

...guess i removed something in nlite thats needed....wmi is started and running....i cant start the wmi performance adapter service though

Yep.

Can you post your nLite settings, lastsession.ini?

Cannot spot anything. I wish I could help you...

edit: have look in event viewer if the are any errors, which might give a clue, if it's working.

Edited by ilko_t

Hello,

I am n00b please forgive if stupid question... I did try searching here for answer but did not come up with anything. Please point me if I missed, thank you!

I am preparing a USB stick with WinSetupFromUSB with GUI 0.1.1, to install XP Home on an ASUS Eee PC 1000 which was pre-supplied with Linux. I have removed Linux and deleted all partitions on the SSD so it is ready now to accept XP Home.

I have followed all instructions in WinSetupFromUSB Readme.txt file (I believe) correctly, and have reached the finish without error message.

But now there is a pop-up box at the end which is confusing. (paraphrase) The pop-up box requests to leave the USB stick plugged in and to restart three times? I am not sure what that means. If I follow those instructions will it not try to install XP Home on my SOURCE (preparation) PC?

Does this message really mean to now unplug the USB stick from SOURCE PC, and to plug it in to the TARGET PC. Then boot to begin the install of XP from USB stick, and to follow the three restarts without unplugging it from the TARGET PC?

Again sorry if this is really stupid question but this prompt at the end of the preparation step has confused me.

Thank you very much for your patience and regards,

--appyface

Edited by appyface

...Does this message really mean to now unplug the USB stick from SOURCE PC, and to plug it in to the TARGET PC. Then boot to begin the install of XP from USB stick, and to follow the three restarts without unplugging it from the TARGET PC?...

Correct :)

It means when you connect USB disk to the target computer, you have to start from USB 3 times, apparently keeping the USB disk plugged in:

1. Text mode part of Setup

2. GUI mode part

3. First start of Windows

thanks for the help....i guess i'll just have to remake my install and not take out so much in nlite :)
A few things which may help:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid...6715&page=2

http://www.nliteos.com/faq.html#Q26

Possible cause of the problem:

http://www.msfn.org/board/nLite-XP-Pro-sli...-S-t119487.html

Please let me know if there is a result.

Thanks for this! Ide controller failed on my server, no way to install windows, this got xp x64 installed perfectly. Wasn't sure if it would work with x64, but no problem! Faster than from cd or dvd too, I'm going to use usb install from now on.

Hi there...

Just tried WinSetupFromUSB and noticed I can't use my BartPE, as there is no folder "programs" but "Programme" as I'm using a german Source. The GUI denies to add this source to the Stick because of the wrong named folder :(

Thanks for this! Ide controller failed on my server, no way to install windows, this got xp x64 installed perfectly. Wasn't sure if it would work with x64, but no problem! Faster than from cd or dvd too, I'm going to use usb install from now on.
Thanks for the feedback :)

Keep in mind that with any versions different than XP i386 SP2 or SP3, Text mode setup will delete some of the compressed files and if you are doing a new install, you'd have to synchronize source files first, folders I386 and AMD64.

Hi there...

Just tried WinSetupFromUSB and noticed I can't use my BartPE, as there is no folder "programs" but "Programme" as I'm using a german Source. The GUI denies to add this source to the Stick because of the wrong named folder :(

There is no support for now for non English versions. Rename temporarily Programme to Programs, let it copy everything to the USB disk, then rename that folder back to it's original name.

If Programme is the only difference I can make it in the next version, it's easy.

Edited by ilko_t

I saw that note about replacing files ect in the ls folder.. but I actually didn't have to do anything. When I ran it, I didn't see any warning messages. When it finished, I tried a qemu boot, it did all 3 boots, so I stuck it in my server and installed! I did change the 2nd entry in boot.ini to partition 0/0/0/1 from 0/0/1/1 but not sure if I needed to do that. Also on 3rd reboot I switched boot devices from the flash drive to hd and booted normally from my sata hd. It's a full install and working perfectly, I can't find any missing files ect. I may try it with vista next, I imagine I'll have to modify things there. Oh and this was a new install, what would I have to synchronize if I needed to? Files on the flash drive vs files in the source?

Edited by CamelJock

thanks for the help....i guess i'll just have to remake my install and not take out so much in nlite :)
A few things which may help:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid...6715&page=2

http://www.nliteos.com/faq.html#Q26

Possible cause of the problem:

http://www.msfn.org/board/nLite-XP-Pro-sli...-S-t119487.html

Please let me know if there is a result.

I was thinking along those same lines...maybe a problem with SP3 slipstream.....gonna dig out my orig. disk and slipstream manually and see what happens