How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Try running dosdev before and after using showdrive ot mountstorePE

I just recreated the stick.

changes:

added dosdev.exe to txtsetup.sif

added the showdrive.exe call to setup.cmd. Positioned it right after the mountvol.exe check/call (before the "set TAGFILE")

After a new started setup, the system again reboots twice and ends up by GLOBALROOT\??\\WINSETUP.......

When i start the cmd and run mnt i get the same result as before.

When i use dosdev.exe i get the following result:

C:  =  \Device\HarddiskVolume1  [Fixed]
D: = \Device\CdRom0 [CDRom]
Y: = \Device\harddisk20\partition1; \Device\harddisk19\partition1; \Device\harddisk18\partition1; \Device\harddisk17\partition1; \Device\harddisk16\partition1; \Device\harddisk15\partition1; \Device\harddisk14\partition1; \Device\harddisk13\partition1; \Device\harddisk12\partition1; \Device\harddisk11\partition1; \Device\harddisk10\partition1; \Device\harddisk9\partition1; \Device\harddisk8\partition1; \Device\harddisk7\partition1; \Device\harddisk6\partition1; \Device\harddisk5\partition1; \Device\harddisk4\partition1; \Device\harddisk3\partition1; \Device\harddisk2\partition1; \Device\harddisk1\partition1; \Device\harddisk0\partition1 [NoRootDir]

When i try to Mount them with mnt.exe the only one which works is:

\Device\harddisk0\partition1

and thats the C: of the HDD.

I think the Y: mapping comes from the for-loop in the setup.cmd:

FOR /L %%G IN (0,1,20) DO (
mnt.exe Y: \device\harddisk%%G\partition1
dir Y:%TAGFILE% > nul 2>&1 && set CDDRIVE=Y:
if defined CDDRIVE goto :CDDRIVE_found
)

For some reason it does not overrive the mappings, no it extends it?!?

EDIT:

Okey, i changed the for-loop to:

FOR /L %%G IN (0,1,20) DO (
mnt.exe Y: \device\harddisk%%G\partition1
dir Y:%TAGFILE% > nul 2>&1 && set CDDRIVE=Y:
if defined CDDRIVE goto :CDDRIVE_found
mnt.exe -u Y:
)

If i'm not wrong, the last line in the loop runs only, if the TAGFILE was not found. If it is found, the goto jumps out of the loop.

Now the mnt.exe and dosdev show only the C: and D: Drives.

So i think the stick isn't found at all. Maybe a driver problem?

Edited by Rotbard

Well, no.

I mean the idea was to try using showdrive.exe or mountstorePE INSTEAD of mnt.exe.

mnt.exe needs to be given "arguments", showdrive.exe or mountstorePE will IF they find a device not mounted to a drive letter to mount it.

jaclaz

So i think the stick isn't found at all. Maybe a driver problem?

Which drivers are at hard disk after first reboot?

Can you do a favour and upload file system.sav too, again the version after first reboot? I'm rather curious about USB settings.

Hi, you are doing a great work!

I tried to install XP En 32bit with it from the 4gb usb drive, but it failed. I had read the FAQ and searched some information from the topic. Unfortunately, they can't solve my problem.

The problem: it went to the setup text mode of the first step, but it got the BSOD 0x0000007b when the system displayed "starting windows" at the bottom status bar.

I had tried: 1, to add the modified NTDETECT.COM to the USB drive root. 2, to integrate the mass storage drivers to the XP source using driverpacks tool. Because they are prompted in the FAQ.

My PC information: XP 32bit, Intel desktop board D845GBV, BIOS RG84510A (support USB boot)

What I am doing: USB stick drive 4GB hyundai, WinSetupFromUSB with GUI 1.0 beta, XP En 32bit( I had tried two sources, both failed. )

Something else: It works for BartPE. I mean that BartPE is added to the USB drive and BartPE can work from usb booting using the 1.0 beta4. And, the 1.0 beta4 is placed the G hard drive which is primary one, but not active. Does it matter?

Looking forward to your responses! Thanks a lot!

soarinblue

Here is the log file:

REMOVED by jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Which drivers are at hard disk after first reboot?

Can you do a favour and upload file system.sav too, again the version after first reboot? I'm rather curious about USB settings.

Uhm, the first question is a good one. I have no idea :blushing:

If you need the *.drv files from the system32 folder, i can upload thm, too.

For the system.sav file, i created 2 zip files wich contain the system.sav and default.sav from the windows/system32/config folder.

One direct after the textmode-setup. Without reboot.

The second after the 1. reboot.

I rebooted a second time, but then the there were no *.sav files in the config folder.

after_textmode.7z

1_reboot.7z

Thanks again for the help! :)

Here is the log file: ( Some of it are deleted as the file size is over 200K. How can I pass the full file to you?)

@soarinblue

I do understand that most of the board is dedicated to help not-very-expert people and that one should be very gentle with them.

As well I perfectly know that "common sense" is one of the least common things around.

You BLOCKED the present Board thread by posting in three subsequent posts three logs by copying and pasting them inside your posts! :realmad:

For the record, first one is 1,590,262 bytes long, second one is 1,592,324 and the third one (since you "reduced" it as being bigger than 200Kb) is a mere 43,502 bytes.

Please find ATTACHED, NOT, and I mean NOT pasted inside a post, your three files COMPRESSED in a .7z archive, totaling 66,781 bytes.

Next time, please ask how to send a file BEFORE posting two of them, each over 1.5 Megabytes! :angry:

It took me more than half an hour and had to use all the tricks of the trade +1 to be able to access the thread and fix the mess you created.

jaclaz

soarinbluelogs.7z

hi all! this is my first post on this forum. :)

i used this program (ver. 1.0 beta 4) to make a bootable usb pen to install windows 2000. i would install this os on a old laptop without the cdrom and without bios support to usb boot.

i used a floppy with plop boot manager to make the boot from usb pen and it works perfectly. the laptop boots from usb pen and the installation starts fine. but before the installation come to the screen to select the install partition, i got a blue screen with the error "inaccessible boot device".

i used the fat16 file system to format the usb pen, to prevent incompatibility issues.

someone can help me??

(sorry for my bad english... :whistle: )

the laptop boots from usb pen and the installation starts fine. but before the installation come to the screen to select the install partition, i got a blue screen with the error "inaccessible boot device".

i used the fat16 file system to format the usb pen, to prevent incompatibility issues.

You don't have a problem with the USB booting, you have a problem with booting in Protected Mode, when text setup "switches" to it.

Sometimes it can be solved by using a modified NTDETECT.COM, FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions) are there exactly for this scope, check #3 here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/faqs-t116766.html

They should be actually called FGA (Frequently Given Answers) but call them how you like, they should be ALWAYS READ before asking what's already covered in them :whistle:

And BTW ;):

someone can help me??

Yes. :)

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollar...no-answers.html

jaclaz

If you need the *.drv files from the system32 folder
Does exist a file system32\drivers\usbstor.sys at hard disk?
For the system.sav file
Thank's so far. Unfortunately this enhance the confusion, that's more fun :)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\textmode\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27CC&SUBSYS_81791043&REV_01\3&11583659&0&EF]

"Service"="usbehci"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\textmode\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&353844c7&0]

"Service"="usbhub"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\textmode\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\Vid_152d&Pid_0602\00000000000000000001]

"Service"="usbstor"

USB controller, USB hub and USB storage drivers are loaded.

ControlSet001\Enum and ControlSet001\Services seems nice.

Maybe a timing problem, BIOS disconnect/reconnect USB at boot.

Can you confirm another part?

Boot several times to USB, (textmode, first reboot, second reboot, just for fun a third one).

Does exist a file reboot.1 and reboot.2 at hard disk?

press shift F10 and run

reg query hklm\system\currentcontrolset\control\criticaldevicedatabase\USB#CLASS_09

Does exist the USB#CLASS_09 entry?

Does exist a file system32\drivers\usbstor.sys at hard disk?

Yes, along withsome more usb*.sys files.

*8023 ; *camd ; *camd2 ; *d ; *ehci ; *hub ; *intel ; *port ; *uhci

Maybe a timing problem, BIOS disconnect/reconnect USB at boot.

To test if theres a problem with the stick and on/off switchings while booting, i unpluged the stick and rebooted.

When the windows logo appeared i pluged the stick in. Now one LED of the stick is on but in the setup i still end up in the same error.

(it was a stupid test, i know ;) )

Does exist a file reboot.1 and reboot.2 at hard disk?

Yes they are generated like defined in setup.cmd.

exist the USB#CLASS_09 entry?

Yes, it exists with 2 entries:

ClassGUID   REG_SZ   {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
Service REG_SZ usbhub

...The problem: it went to the setup text mode of the first step, but it got the BSOD 0x0000007b when the system displayed "starting windows" at the bottom status bar.

I had tried: 1, to add the modified NTDETECT.COM to the USB drive root...

Add it to the ISO file in WINSETUP directory. Use UltraISO to replace it directly, or extract contents of ISO, replace NTDETECT.COM and recreate the ISO:

mkisofs.exe -v -iso-level 4 -volid ""WINSETUP"" -R -o "L:\WINSETUP\XPpSP3.ISO" "G:\Path_To_The_Extracted_ISO\"

Or simply replace ntdetect.com in your source and recreate the USB stick. :ph34r:

BTW- similar problem was posted and resolved just one page pack in this thread, a little reading never hurts ;)

@VegetaSSJ5- Doesn't this machine support USB boot? If it doesn't I doubt this method will work, there is an valid ARC path needed to the USB stick, or Setup fails with 0x7B when stick is mapped to non-existent drive.

Yes, along withsome more usb*.sys files.

*8023 ; *camd ; *camd2 ; *d ; *ehci ; *hub ; *intel ; *port ; *uhci

I like this machine, destroyed five years of USB knowledge.

So far CriticalDeviceDatabase settings, drivers settings and driver files did work.

Time to invent a new approach: early PNP

Unfortunately without own testing hardware.

Can you do another test? Boot to Shift-F10 prompt and run

@echo off
setlocal EnableExtensions EnableDelayedExpansion

:USB_PNP.cmd
:: Batch to load USB devices - XP 32bit
:: by cdob v0.01

set Seed=%random%%random%%random%
set Seed=0x%Seed:~,8%
reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\WPA\Pnp" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "Seed" /d %Seed%
reg.exe query "HKLM\SYSTEM\WPA\Pnp"
set Control=HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
reg.exe add "%Control%\Session Manager\WPA\Pnp" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "Seed" /d %Seed%

reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Driver Signing" /f /t REG_BINARY /v "Policy" /d 00000000
reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Non-Driver Signing" /f /t REG_BINARY /v "Policy" /d 00
reg.exe add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "BehaviorOnFailedVerify" /d 0x0

rem set driver signing policy
dsigning.exe

:: reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "LogLevel" /d 0xFFFFffff

rem PNP USB devices and attach drive letter to USB flash drive
rem no RunDll32.exe Syssetup.dll,UpdatePnpDeviceDrivers
rem devcon.exe [url="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272"]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272[/url]
echo. &echo USB controller and USB HUB
for %%a in (PCI\CC_0C0300 PCI\CC_0C0310 PCI\CC_0C0320 USB\ROOT_HUB USB\ROOT_HUB20) do (
devcon.exe hwids "%%a" | find.exe "%%a" && devcon.exe install %SystemRoot%\inf\usbport.inf "%%a"
)
echo. &echo USB storage device
rem no hwids defined for USB storage device
for %%a in (06 05 02 06 05 02) do (
devcon.exe install %SystemRoot%\inf\usbstor.inf "USB\Class_08&SubClass_%%a&Prot_50"
)

rem USB keyboard and mouse
devcon.exe install %SystemRoot%\inf\usb.inf "USB\COMPOSITE"
devcon.exe install %SystemRoot%\inf\input.inf "USB\Class_03"
devcon.exe install %SystemRoot%\inf\msmouse.inf "HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_MOUSE"
devcon.exe install %SystemRoot%\inf\keyboard.inf "HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_KEYBOARD"

rem attach drive letter to USB hard disk
rem ShowDrive [url="http://bbs.wuyou.com/viewthread.php?tid=116177"]http://bbs.wuyou.com/viewthread.php?tid=116177[/url]
ShowDrive.exe

rem view drives
MountVol.exe

addional applications:

dsigning.exe, driversigning part of floppy image http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=137714

devcon.exe http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272

ShowDrive.exe http://bbs.wuyou.com/viewthread.php?tid=116177

I am super happy to admit stupidity here ladies and gentlemen, the tool works fine for loading the Windows XP and Windows 7 install, I can even get BartPE/DOS to boot.

The problem is with BartPE/DOS I can't get any of the drives other than the ramdrive made and the usb stick to show, I am not really the sort to want to learn the entire documentation just to add a little functionality. I only need DOS for the odd firmware flash and the BartPE for the odd tool i.e. backup/file management if a drive got corrupted or whatever.

I assumed that all drives would show by default but i've tried fiddling with a few commands, looked through some forums/google but the commands I add still don't let me see ALL my drives.

I am obviously missing something REALLY simple here but I don't know what it is. The partition is NTFS, i've tried fat32. I load DOS as a loaded floppy image and BartPE just how it was installed with this tool.

tl;dr

How can I get BartPE/DOS to see all the drives on my computer?

How can I get BartPE/DOS to see all the drives on my computer?

You go in BIOS and (if you have this setting availble) turn "AHCI" off or set "IDE compatibility mode" on (or some similar settings).

Most probably you have SATA disk drive(s) and you need to access them in "IDE compatibility mode" OR to add to the build the appropriate SATA drivers.

DOS, while being able to see the HD, won't however be able to access volumes in it formatted with the NTFS filesystem, unless you add to it a NTFS filesystem driver.

jaclaz

That makes BartPE work fine but DOS still doesn't see anything, is there any way to use the sata drivers in the windows xp/windows 7 sources to load for the DOS/BartPE so I don't have to fiddle with BIOS?

I don't need NTFS read/write to be honest but if anyone could quickly show me the menu.lst entries required to achieve this then my super usb will be complete. or any extra files that I may need to find

I've been looking through lots of posts/forums etc. but my brain be fried and it is just driving me bonkers

Edited by Solivagus