How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

You may try the modified ntdetect.com as mentioned here. Copy and paste all in Tiny Hexer (freeware), select HEX TEXT, save as ntdetect.com and put it in USB stick root, filesize must become 47,596 bytes. I don't know other ways to give you this file without breaking forum and MS rules.

Thanks,

Have I to edit the file WINSETUP/XPhSP3/I386/NTDETECT.COM? Or only put the ntdetect.com created in root?

Have to put it in the small ISO file in WINSETUP/XPhSP3, in folder I386 in the ISO image.

Other way around is to put it in your source, I386 folder and redo the stick.

hi, ilko_t.

Any news about the 1.0 FINAL release?

btw, UBCD5.0 is out. That seems it has a built-in script for USB boot and has integrated grub4dos. Can 1.0 cooperate with it?

Thanks

Edited by Valeron

Quite limited spare time, sorry.

For the final version there are a few things I wanted to work on:

-rewrite the documents, how-to etc.

-recreate the problem and find solution for the rare cases when setup dumps "somefile nof found" during text mode stage.

-find a workaround for those rare BIOSes which emulate the USB stick as superfloppy and refuse to use it as hard disk type

-start XP/2000/2003 setup with only USB disks connected, allowing install from to USB. Currently the nice, infamous 0x7B BSOD appears.

Since beta6 is fairly stable and no major issues have been reported so far, you should be good to use it.

As for UBCD 5.0- haven't checked lately, but I guess it should work with the "add g4d compatible ISO" option. Want to test?

for BSOD just use ntdetect.com from win2k3 as well ramdisk.sy_ if bad don't remember.. i was getting bsod testing with dell machines, with hp and Eee Pc (mini laptop) all worked well except for dell so i did the trick of the file replacement.i did replace them from the iso and from the i386 all working ok on all machines i have tested so far :)

i just getting a trouble while windows copy the files needed for the installation.. i haven't found anything about it yet so i decided to come here and ask the experts as well the author ilko_t

thanks ilko_t for such great and easy tool, in my opinion the best so far =)!

i have attached the screenshot(photo) of my problem..

if i press esc the installation continue and all work ok, i used the latest beta with the option that prepares the xp for installation and uses driverpack.. i have driverpack integrated, 4 version of winxp working great, with drivers, program installation, 2 unattended and 2 normal installations for repair purposes.. (2 english and 2 spanish)

all installation gives the invalid file usbbootw.exe... please if someone know about this let me know.. or please give some hints where to look at..

My Best Regards

post-59111-127405851353_thumb.jpg

As for ntdetect.com- check FAQs, for XP the modified file does the trick. Ramdisk.sy_ is not needed at all, it's when building RAM booted PE with XP source.

As for the error you are getting- do not select the option "Prepare for USB installation", it's still experimental and meant to prepare to install Windows to USB disk, from USB disk as well.

Don't have the source code around to look for mistakes, just do not use that option.

As for ntdetect.com- check FAQs, for XP the modified file does the trick. Ramdisk.sy_ is not needed at all, it's when building RAM booted PE with XP source.

As for the error you are getting- do not select the option "Prepare for USB installation", it's still experimental and meant to prepare to install Windows to USB disk, from USB disk as well.

Don't have the source code around to look for mistakes, just do not use that option.

are you sure if that option is marked then appears errors like the one i got?

if i have to do all the work again that will take a lot of time... if necessary please just tell me the steps to take care of the problem manually.. i'm sure it will take less time than building everything since the begining.

My Best Regards

Just wanted to report a problem I had with this.

I've got a stick that works fine to install XP to my two desktop PCs. My sister has a laptop with Vista on it and I shrunk the system partition to make room for XP, so that I could setup a dual-boot, but when I booted XP setup from the stick, it didn't detect the hard drive at all and only showed the stick as a possible install destination.

I haven't had a chance to test whether installing from CD will work yet, so I'll report back when I have and also get the exact details of the laptop. Perhaps this is an already known situation where WinSetupFromUSB doesn't work, or maybe it's because the laptop HD has a Recovery partition as the first partition on the HD (which is probably quite common with laptops), but I thought I'd let you know in case it's something you want to look at.

I haven't had a chance to test whether installing from CD will work yet, so I'll report back when I have and also get the exact details of the laptop. Perhaps this is an already known situation where WinSetupFromUSB doesn't work, or maybe it's because the laptop HD has a Recovery partition as the first partition on the HD (which is probably quite common with laptops), but I thought I'd let you know in case it's something you want to look at.

It is more probable that the BIOS doesn't expose the (possibly SATA) disk properly.

What happens in "plain" grub4dos?

Try pressing C to access command line, then issue a

geometry (hd0)

and a

geometry (hd1)

jaclaz

are you sure if that option is marked then appears errors like the one i got?

if i have to do all the work again that will take a lot of time... if necessary please just tell me the steps to take care of the problem manually.. i'm sure it will take less time than building everything since the begining.

My Best Regards

Make sure USBBootW.exe is present in USB_disk\WINSETUP\XPpSP..\I386\, if not- get it from program directory and rename it to USBBootW.exe if it's not already.

Is it the only file it complains about?

A corresponding WinSetupFromUSB.log in program directory or backup folder may also help finding out what's going on.

please i need help with the issue i'm having.. do i have to delete some lines/information about that file to let setup continue without saying it's an invalid image/windows file?

where the UsbBootW.exe information is stored?

My Best Regards

sorry for delay.. i have attached all logs the program has made so far..

i see the file is there at the i386 directories..

and yes is the only file giving trouble :yes:

remember i used the last 3 options of advanced options menu

any ideas?

My Best Regards

logs.rar

Edited by CRK

It is more probable that the BIOS doesn't expose the (possibly SATA) disk properly.

What happens in "plain" grub4dos?

Try pressing C to access command line, then issue a

geometry (hd0)

and a

geometry (hd1)

jaclaz

Thanks, I'll try that next time I get my hands on her laptop :)

sorry for delay.. i have attached all logs the program has made so far..

i see the file is there at the i386 directories..

and yes is the only file giving trouble :yes:

remember i used the last 3 options of advanced options menu

any ideas?

My Best Regards

Please zip and attach txtsetup.sif files from each ISO in g:\winsetup\.