How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Hi,

I downloaded wsfUSB 0.2.3 and I need to install nLite-d WINXP on my usb stick, but when I get to choose source, I get error message saying "This doesn't seem to be valid source, could not find DOSNET.INF". Before that, I had a different error message saying something like "WIN32.exe could not be found", but that one disappeared now...

Any advices please?

Thank you.

It is likely that you are using a (probably nlited) NON-ORIGINAL version of the Source from which some needed files were removed. (or somehow the source is corrupted/unreadable)

You cannot use the 0.2.3 with such a source, you can try with 1.0 beta7, but probably you will have to try with this approach :unsure::

jaclaz

To put it short, I have a question: is there a way to replace the usage of Grub4dos with Syslinux?

Yes/No. :ph34r:

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html

I hope I'm not asking some dumb question. :)

The question in itself it's not dumb at all (exception made for the way you asked it ;)), but I guess you should at least mention WHY anyone should want to modify a working app (at the risk of introducing bugs/problems/issues). Mind you I am not saying it is possible or not, though form the little I kow of Syslinux/Memdisk, etc. it has IMHO some less flexibility in re-mapping drives, which is conversely one of the needed features for the WinSetupfromUSB and that grub4dos provides flawlessly)

I mean WHAT advantages would you expect in using Syslinux instead of grub4dos? :unsure:

jaclaz

Sorry. I was quite tired when I was asking the question above, and presumed that the question implies that I would like to know how to do that, or if it was possible. At that time, I didn't found the words necessary to extend the sentence.

Anyway, I don't want the program modified, I wanted some help or advice from people with greater knowledge than mine to replace G4D with Syslinux. Sorry again if I put the question the wrong way. The purpose? One USB stick with other tools besides Win setup, tools that are already using Syslinux. I would like to avoid multi-partitioning and I wonder if Winsetupfromusb's boot manager can be recreated in Syslinux.

1) Extract the ISO somewhere, select Syslinux option and point program to the directory with the extracted contents. Press GO. Then rename ISOLINUX directory on USB disk to SYSLINUX, rename ISOLINUX.CFG to SYSLINUX.CFG inside the renamed SYSLINUX directory too.

Hi,

I want to add Nero BackupItUp ImageTool to my USB disk, this is ISO with "ISOLINUX" files: ISOLINUX.BIN, ISOLINUX.CFG, root.img and other...

I tried quoted method and fail. How I can add this ISO to my USB-pendrive?

P.S. In BCDW 1.5 it working fine (extracting filesfrom ISO and launching ISOLINUX.BIN)

The purpose? One USB stick with other tools besides Win setup, tools that are already using Syslinux. I would like to avoid multi-partitioning and I wonder if Winsetupfromusb's boot manager can be recreated in Syslinux.

Yes, but I don't still see WHY you want to REPLACE grub4dos, maybe it would be easier to integrate the result of WinsetupfromUSB into your Syslinux based thingy. :unsure:

The multipartiioning is only needed (talking of WinsetupfromUSB) if you need several Vista :ph34r:/7 /Server 2008 versions.

grub4dos can be chainloaded by Syslinux allright, like (example):

LABEL grub4dos

KERNEL /grub.exe

So, all you have to do should be to use Syslinux to load the thingy as is (instead of having grub4dos being the "main" bootloader/bootmanager).

jaclaz

The purpose? One USB stick with other tools besides Win setup, tools that are already using Syslinux. I would like to avoid multi-partitioning and I wonder if Winsetupfromusb's boot manager can be recreated in Syslinux.

Yes, but I don't still see WHY you want to REPLACE grub4dos, maybe it would be easier to integrate the result of WinsetupfromUSB into your Syslinux based thingy. :unsure:

The multipartiioning is only needed (talking of WinsetupfromUSB) if you need several Vista :ph34r:/7 /Server 2008 versions.

grub4dos can be chainloaded by Syslinux allright, like (example):

LABEL grub4dos

KERNEL /grub.exe

So, all you have to do should be to use Syslinux to load the thingy as is (instead of having grub4dos being the "main" bootloader/bootmanager).

jaclaz

If it is possible to have on the same partition G4D and Syslinux, you're right, chailoading from one to another is the solution. Worth trying. Thank you.

If it is possible to have on the same partition G4D and Syslinux, you're right, chailoading from one to another is the solution.

Sure it is possible, as said in the form of grub.exe grub4dos is a Linux kernel (besides being a DOS program), all you need is to add to your Syslinux booting thingy the grub.exe and possibly a modified menu.lst.

Worth trying. Thank you.

You are welcome.

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

Is this the only line in txtsetup that gets edited

[SetupData]
SetupSourcePath ="\WINSETUP\XPpSP33\"
MajorVersion = 5
MinorVersion = 1
DefaultPath=\WINDOWS
OsLoadOptions = "/fastdetect /noguiboot /nodebug"
ForceScsi = 1
ForceDiskClass = 1
ForceCDRom = 1
Architecture = i386
DriverCabName=driver.cab
ProductType = 0
LoadIdentifier = %wks_id%
LoadIdentifierCancel = %cancel_id%
LoadIdentifierWin9x = %9x_id%
BaseVideoLoadId = %wks_id_vga%
RequiredMemory = 67108864
Pagefile = 115,250
SetupSourceDevice=\ArcName\multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)
BootPath="\WINSETUP\XPpSP33\I386\"
BootDevice="multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)"

The reason I ask is because when I update my source files, I can just copy the new files to the WINSETUP folder already on my USB Hard Drive so I dont have to rerun the program every time and just add the line above to my new txtsetup file.

The boot group of the USB drivers is also changed. There are also a few lines added to SourceDisksFiles section.

Folder name is tied up to the lines you quoted, winsetup.lst and setup.cmd in \I386 folder.

If you want to go that route- get Beyond Compare:

http://www.scootersoftware.com/

Trial version works for looong time. Compare original txtsetup.sif in the small ISO file and the original in \I386 folder. Compare I386 folder structure on USB disk and in your source. I could be forgetting something.