How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

On 4/23/2020 at 10:30 AM, jaclaz said:

Now, when you run (WITHOUT mapping (fd0) to (hd1)) 

usb --init

it should produce (hd1) (or drive 0x81) and go on as before, it should do the same as before but with (hd1)

From my first post all this time I experience sudden lockups, freezes and reboots. Several times windows setup tell that "some xxxx line in txtsetup.sif is invalid", grub4dos dies after recognize usb etc. The same UFD with exactly the same files, sometimes boots to windows setup and others freeze etc on this old BIOS. When I remove some stuff using nlite it may go to the famous 7b error, but it never arrive to the screen which shows disk/partitions to choose for the installation to continue. It is not a hard disk controller driver issue either because the disk is IDE.

To investigate further after usb --init I chainload to DOS IO.SYS. This time grub4dos provides me with D drive which is the UFD. Nor the DOS setup (winnt.exe), neither a simple copy of the UFD I386 folder to the internal IDE disk came with success. DOS copy reboot after it copies some 200MB of files. With debug 3 in the winsetup.lst I had found that grub4dos throws some warnings on find and geometry commands "MBR cylinders(xxxxx) is not equal to the BIOS one(xxxx). MBR  total sectors(xxxxxxxxx) is greater that the BIOS one (xxxxxxxx). Some buggy BIOSes could hang when you access sectors exceeding the BIOS limit. Initial estimation blah-blah-blah, err=1  blah-blah" for the UFD, but it throws err=0 for the internal IDE. That same UFD throws err=0 on another newer PC at which both WinSetupFromUSB and the Rufus work fine to the end of the windows setup. Do you believe the "second thought" approach could work in my case?

Edited by seahorser

• 2 years later...

6 hours ago, JesusGod-Pope666.Info said:

Uhh, God is Good!!! I think I just might have found a solution to try out: http://wp.xin.at/archives/2702
You guys most likely know it... dunno... But I will be trying that out tomorrow!!!

How awesome if it worked.

And - should it not work - you can try the similar solution using grub4dos (already linked to in a comment on that xp.win.at page):

https://msfn.org/board/topic/154071-f6-without-a-floppy-drive/

though most of surrounding info is about XP, so it may or may not work with 2000.

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

I was find the fastest method possible that work on all computers both old, new and with bugged BIOS.
I copy I386 to the root of hard disk's active partition (usually a second hard disk in the active partition that will be any partition, not only the first one.)
Delete \ntldr form that partition (the partition which now has the i386 folder).
If \ntldr is hidden, read only etc., attrib -R -S -H \ntldr then delete it or use the Total Commander or any other orthodox file manager

On TC the Ctrl-T make a new tab, Ctrl-W to close a tab, Tab goes to other panel, Numeric +/- makes a set selection/deselection, * makes the selected one deselected, and the deselected selected, Insert selects/deselects a file or folder, Alt-left arrow to go back in history, Alt-right arrow to go forward in history, hidden file view Configuration->Options->Display, side by side compare by content two files or two folders eg. a backup copy and the working one. Ctrl-PageDown to go inside the ms packed two character and a bottom line extension like .ex_, .iso, .cab, .zip, .7z etc. by iso.wcx and Total7zip.wcx plugins which without TC to see them I have to call expand.exe on two separete folders for one file and for the other which had to work. Ctrl-D for folder bookmarks, separate editor with F4, internal TC file associations and many more

copy \i386\setupldr.bin ..\ntldr
copy \i386\ntdetect.com ..
So on the root I now have setupldr.bin renamed as ntldr and ntdetect.com
Inside \i386\txtsetup.sif replace the line [SetupData]
as:
[SetupData]
BootPath = "\I386\"
SetupSourceDevice = "\GLOBAL??\C:"

and save it.
copy \i386\txtsetup.sif ..
So now on the root I have the modded txtsetup.sif
Connect that hard disk to the computer which the real setup will take place and boot from it.
P.S. The second hard disk should have at that partition boot record as NTLDR (the Process PBR button on bootice tool and press Install/Config button if needed). The MBR on that hard disk should be Windows NT 5.x/6.x at which the bootice came handy because I was used a backup taken place earlier of the MBR and any PBRs to revert that disk to the previous state. (\ is the root of the drive)

Edited by seahorser
clear meaning

11 minutes ago, seahorser said:

I was find the fastest method possible that work on all computers both old, new and with bugged BIOS

... that has nothing to do with USB, let alone with WinSetupFromUSB with GUI (this topic) :whistle:.

jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

... that has nothing to do with USB

Of course. I simply write a good alternative solution for people having similar major issues with crappy bios.
If I post that workaround in another thread alone, no one is going to find it as a solution to USB connected to motherboard with bugged bios and WinSetupFromUSB can't do it this time.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys. I just saw this sub-forum after posting in startallback area, I'm just confused what this is about - when I need to install windows from a USB stick I just flash the ISO using rufus to the usb stick.

Is this for installing windows ON TO a usb stick, so it's a completely live and functional windows on a stick? because that is something I would like.

3 hours ago, paradox said:

Hey guys. I just saw this sub-forum after posting in startallback area, I'm just confused what this is about - when I need to install windows from a USB stick I just flash the ISO using rufus to the usb stick.

Is this for installing windows ON TO a usb stick, so it's a completely live and functional windows on a stick? because that is something I would like.

No, this is about installing FROM a usb stick and it was born in XP times (when this was impossible), 14 (fourteen) years ago.

Rufus, since several versions ago, is not (anymore) compatible with XP.

With "modern" Windows you can have a "Windows to Go" install just fine (even if it is officially deprecated- why? - by Microsoft), see:

http://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=22745

jaclaz