How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Wow, nice :)

The only ideas I have about not getting U: - A-Data USB stick has the removable bit flipped, but then why your windows was seeing it as removable, but not the Setup? Or it has abilities to emulate CD-ROM device, does it? Other than that I am clueless why this would happen.

I noticed in BIOS its detected as 'USB Flash drive 0.00'

its seems like there is some id info for USB devices that designers had to write, something like SPD for DIMM,

and maybe A-Data didn't bother, so bios doesn't know how to interpret it.

Bot both ST and A-Data detected in Hard drive section of my BIOS setup (Foxconn A690GM2A)

As for the dummy file- did you try to create a second one?

Other way is to edit txtsetup.sif and space requirements.

edit- BTW I wonder how you managed to place 5.5GB file in FAT32 partition. The maximum file size is 4GB - 1byte, maybe this explains the error you had. Try putting 2 dummy files.

Yea, I had to create a second file, I totally forgot about 4GB limit of FAT32, and it puzzled me how come there is lots of space but I can't copy a file of even less size (I also wanted to put an image for acronis)

Mind you- FAT32 could be VERY slow, NTFS outperforms it in times:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=125116

THANK YOU for a tip, it makes all the difference in the world, FAT32 text mode copy stage took ~ one _hour_

in NTFS I just plugged a stick at the back of computer and before I set down on my chair, it was done, ~2 min total

crazy!

Also creating a filler file with fsutil with fat32 takes ~20 min, with NTFS - instant! seems like it doesn't write 0 on actual media.

Interesting, putting setup file on disk takes about the same type.

I assume text mode setup uses kernel drivers to copy files not BIOS and the same drivers are used when windows fully installed?

But with NTFS you can't put anything else, is it limitation of grub4dos? BartPE should be able to understand NTFS?

Maybe as fix partition USB stick and make second partition FAT32 (or ext3) and put linux tools there?

Grub4dos probably can see it.

root (hd0,1)

Also I assume WinSetupFromUSB should not interfere with RyanVM update packs and Nlite fixes?

(speedUp - reducing numbers of drivers loaded in text mode)

Also just, noticed, there is a lot of free spaces (several big gaps) in txtsetup.sif in the end portion, it make loading slower.

Just tested on 8Gb stick, txtsetup.sif

[DiskSpaceRequirements]

FreeSysPartDiskSpace = 7024

UpgradeFreeSysPartDiskSpace = 7024

doesn't help.

Edited by Sergo

I assume text mode setup uses kernel drivers to copy files not BIOS and the same drivers are used when windows fully installed?
Yep. And MS guys screwed up something in the FAT/FAT32 driver in windows after 2000.
But with NTFS you can't put anything else, is it limitation of grub4dos? BartPE should be able to understand NTFS?
You can put many things. Any Windows PE would work just fine, NTFS support is as in normal Windows.

Grub4dos is happy with NTFS, so everything is up to what you are booting with it.

Vista Setup/Vista PE is fine as above.

GParted 0.3.4-8 is OK from NTFS, later versions- not.

PartedMagic (after 3.0 tested) is fine too.

Ubuntu maybe fine too.

Second partition is always an option.

Also I assume WinSetupFromUSB should not interfere with RyanVM update packs and Nlite fixes?

(speedUp - reducing numbers of drivers loaded in text mode)

Most likely- no, it should not interfere.
Just tested on 8Gb stick, txtsetup.sif

[DiskSpaceRequirements]

FreeSysPartDiskSpace = 7024

UpgradeFreeSysPartDiskSpace = 7024

Not quite sure which lines should be amended. Do a quick search at msfn.org, I've seen many topics about modifying disk space requirements.

Just noticed in setuplog.txt.

Tried two different sources of vanilla XP with SP3 integrated same result:

is there any debug flags for setup programs to get more info?

Other than these so far seems to look OK.

Setup encountered an error while trying to set system security

01/11/2009 14:25:49.156,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\welcome.c,1289,BEGIN_SECTION,Installing security

01/11/2009 14:26:01.093,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,Setup encountered an error while trying to set system security.

The data is invalid.

01/11/2009 14:26:01.093,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,Error

01/11/2009 14:26:01.093,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,:

01/11/2009 14:26:01.093,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,Setup encountered an error while trying to set system security.

The data is invalid.

Plus repeating errors like this

01/11/2009 14:26:41.734,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\syspnp.c,5712,,SETUP: SetupDiCallClassInstaller(DIF_ALLOW_INSTALL) succeeded. Device = Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

01/11/2009 14:26:41.750,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\syspnp.c,5767,,SETUP: SetupDiCallClassInstaller(DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES) succeeded. Device = Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

01/11/2009 14:26:41.796,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\usbhub.sys was not deleted because of the following error:

The system cannot find the file specified.

01/11/2009 14:26:41.796,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\openhci.sys was not deleted because of the following error:

The system cannot find the file specified.

Setup already creates a bunch of log files in \windows\. I am not aware of any additional parameter, which would cause more verbose output.

As for the errors above- I'd ignore them if setup went fine.

Check with old offically supported version of Gparted and UBCD4Win 3.22,

the menu.lst get messed up anyway.

Does anybody know what 0x00030001 means (device attribute, removable?)

It's not present in original registry key.

HKLM,"SYSTEM\MountedDevices","\DosDevices\U:",0x00030001

Check with old offically supported version of Gparted and UBCD4Win 3.22,

the menu.lst get messed up anyway.

I did try several times, couldn't manage to get it screwed. Can you zip all your program log files from \backups\ directory and attach them here or upload at www.datafilehost.com for example?
Does anybody know what 0x00030001 means (device attribute, removable?)
Comes from MkMigrateInf.cmd. Compare:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19663

0x00030001 is a flag, but what exactly it means I cannot see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms794514.aspx

hmm this thread has grown and your program has progressed, thats nice. But it seems that the new version doesn't work for me.

The old version from the quote below however works.

Heh, quotes were not expected there too :)

Here is a version, which should take care of them.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-4bf62239.html

BTW what version of nLite is that? It rather seems like nLite bug, I wonder if winnt32.exe would accept that syntax.

If you're wondering what doesn't work, after installation is done and I'm trying to boot without USB it says hal.dll is missing.

hmm this thread has grown and your program has progressed, thats nice. But it seems that the new version doesn't work for me.

The old version from the quote below however works.

Heh, quotes were not expected there too :)

Here is a version, which should take care of them.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-4bf62239.html

BTW what version of nLite is that? It rather seems like nLite bug, I wonder if winnt32.exe would accept that syntax.

If you're wondering what doesn't work, after installation is done and I'm trying to boot without USB it says hal.dll is missing.

The problem you describe has nothing to do with the quoted messages, and in other hand, is not related to the program at all ;)

Do read the FAQs, look at this thread too:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128303

BTW did you miss the numerous topics and FAQs in this subforum about the very same problem?

Do read this post and below , just a couple of pages back:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=815523

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, im having an issue with the USB stick.

I've got a DVD setup and working perfectly doing the unattended setup in full for me.

However, when i use the source files for that disc with this tool, it no longer runs fully automatically. Its now prompting me to choose which partition to use and then do i want to format it etc.

Ive not altered the WINNT.SIF files at all after the tool has created the USB Stick and ive confirmed the [data] section has the Autopartition=1 and Unattended="Yes"

WINNT.SIF [DATA] section shown below

[Data]
AutoPartition=1
MsDosInitiated="1"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
floppyless="1"
winntupgrade="no"
win9xupgrade="no"
EulaComplete="1"

Ive then answered the partition questions and allowed the process to continue and the rest of the installation appears to run unattended as intended.

I have read through here a couple of times but most times its been late so its possible ive glossed over the answer to my problem.

Any help would be appreicated though!

Thanks and keep up the good work, your work and this site as a whole has so far proven invaluable!

However, when i use the source files for that disc with this tool, it no longer runs fully automatically. Its now prompting me to choose which partition to use and then do i want to format it etc.
...unattended section is removed because even with an empty section Text mode setup will attempt to install windows where ~BT and ~LS folders are.

Did you get the idea?

Fully unattended Setup during Text mode is not possible using this method. Target disk by default is where our BT and LS folders are, on our USB stick/disk.

Hmmm it seems i spoke too soon.

It was prompting for partition info (as intended according the answer to my last question) when using my 1GB USB Stick.

However when i use my 8GB stick which then contains 1 additional folder within $OEM$\$$ that contains other application files for later installation its giving me an error saying its unable to create \Windows prior to trying to copy files to the hard drive at the start of the text based installation

Im guessing from reading other info, its working on the 1GB disk because it doesnt have enough room to install Windows and therefore prompts for another location to install and the 8GB has enough room so there is no prompting, which leads me to think that its trying to install on to the USB Stick when using the 8GB.

Its probably worth noting that this machine does not require any F6 additional drivers to install and will happily proceed with installation with whatever is shipped on the CD as standard

How do i correct this issue?

Edited by Lagerstars

What are contents of that folder $OEM$\$$, what do you install through it?

Does the 8GB stick gives that error when using the source, used for the 1Gb stick?

Are the proper drivers integrated in both sources? Is the disk contreoller in AHCI/SATA mode?

Did you put back unattended section in winnt.sif, or did the program fail to remove it? Check winnt.sif.

Similar problem, reported as solved by integrating BTS mass storage drivers pack:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128718

As stated above, when performing the installation the $OEM$\$$ folders are identical on the 1GB and 8GB memory sticks. The only change is a subfolder under $oem$\$$ and the additional folder is titled Install and simply contains source files for other applications for the runonceex.cmd and the only reason thats not on the 1GB stick is due to its size.

The source files are the same files for both the 1Gb and 8Gb sticks with the one exception of that install folder due to size.

The $$ folder copies across wallpaper files, power scheme files, a theme, couple of tools to the system32 folder and the installation files for applications.

It does not have an AHCI/SATA controller or drives and as per above, it will install fine with the standard WinXP SP2 CD, however i have just tested with the base driver pack and mass storage inc textmode based drivers slipstreamed in

I have not touched the WINNT.SIF at all after running the tool and have checked that the [unattended] section has been removed by the tool.

As i say though, on a DVD, the files work perfectly, but using your tool to create the USB stick install seems to trip up so i just need to work out where and why as this will help speed up my testing and adjustments considerably

Edited by Lagerstars

Hmm, I am puzzled.

A few ideas:

Does the machine have USB card readers or any other USB mass storage device, including USB printer with card reader, iPod, etc. etc.? It may "shift" USB disks numbering. Try disabling/removing everything, but the hard disk.

What type is the 8GB USB stick? Does it have CD-like part?

Try renaming migrate.inf to migrate.inf.bak in ~BT folder. Go only to the partitioning screen in Text mode. What drive letter each device/partition got? Which one is listed first? A picture of that screen may help you have camera around.

Try renaming $oem$ to $oem$.bak. Does setup continue?