How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Ok I have done that and it works but install is really slow Usb 2.0 flash drive is there anything known to speed things up ?

Maybe that Dell has USB 2.0 ports but only boots at 1.1 speed. :unsure:

For the moment no solution, something is in the works, but nothing yet functional.

jaclaz

Ok I have done that and it works but install is really slow Usb 2.0 flash drive is there anything known to speed things up ?

Which part goes slow? Loading drivers during Text mode only or loading drivers AND copying files at end of Text mode?

If it's first- your BIOS does boot in USB 1.1 speed, after loading drivers it should be USB 2.0.

If second- try formatting stick in NTFS/FAT32 or FAT16 if it's 2GB or less and BIOS supports boot from such, matter of experimenting.

I have been playing around and I tried formating in NTFS the results are amazing I have gone from nearly 2 hours for the 1st section of the install to about 4 mins.

All is not well though on part3 of the install I get an error

Windows could not start because the following file was missing or currupt
<Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll
Please reinstall a copy of the above file

So I am going to try and find out why I get this message, but if anyone knows why please tell me

So I was able to get BartPE to load up but as far as any of many linux dist.. nada... I get the following error. I'm running a 4GB formatted FAT32.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Booting 'Start SysLinux bootsector from partition 0'

Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0cx

SYSLINUX 3.64 2008-04-10 EBIOS Copyright © 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin

could not find kernal image: linux

boot:

------------------------------------------------------------------

I've gone through the thread, and read the FAQ, but please forgive me if I've missed the answer.

I got directed here after being dumped with a Tablet PC pre-installed with XP Pro (no pen/touch support, great huh?) and no Floppy/CD/DVD etc.

I downloaded the GUI, ran it to format the USB key and copy the XP Tablet files and plugged it into the Tablet ...

I can boot into USB fine, I can start Setup fine - but I get:

Q8: I got "Insert WinXP CD" Error, why?

A8: The correct value in WINNT.SIF is MsDosInitiated="1". This is done automatically by the script. You must have changed WINNT.SIF after prepared USB disk.

Well, I don't have a WINNT.SIF (apart from the Sample one) and I can't find a reference to MsDosInitiated in any of my files on the USB key.

I know I'm probably doing something fundamentally stupid ... but if anyone could tell me what it is, I'd be grateful!

Sorry about the delayed responses, I am still on holiday and have a little break from computers :ph34r:

I have been playing around and I tried formating in NTFS the results are amazing I have gone from nearly 2 hours for the 1st section of the install to about 4 mins.

All is not well though on part3 of the install I get an error

So I am going to try and find out why I get this message, but if anyone knows why please tell me

Good, NTFS really helps sometimes. For HAL.DLL error please check the FAQs.
So I was able to get BartPE to load up but as far as any of many linux dist.. nada... I get the following error. I'm running a 4GB formatted FAT32.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Booting 'Start SysLinux bootsector from partition 0'

Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0cx

SYSLINUX 3.64 2008-04-10 EBIOS Copyright © 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin

could not find kernal image: linux

boot:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Umm, you need you ammend your syslinux.cfg for the particular distro and check kernel parameters for USB boot. The program just adds syslinux bootsector, copy the contents to USB and loads syslinux, and from the message you have posted it seems that syslinux is loaded indeed.
I've gone through the thread, and read the FAQ, but please forgive me if I've missed the answer.

I got directed here after being dumped with a Tablet PC pre-installed with XP Pro (no pen/touch support, great huh?) and no Floppy/CD/DVD etc.

I downloaded the GUI, ran it to format the USB key and copy the XP Tablet files and plugged it into the Tablet ...

I can boot into USB fine, I can start Setup fine - but I get:

Q8: I got "Insert WinXP CD" Error, why?

A8: The correct value in WINNT.SIF is MsDosInitiated="1". This is done automatically by the script. You must have changed WINNT.SIF after prepared USB disk.

Well, I don't have a WINNT.SIF (apart from the Sample one) and I can't find a reference to MsDosInitiated in any of my files on the USB key.

I know I'm probably doing something fundamentally stupid ... but if anyone could tell me what it is, I'd be grateful!

It happens if your source is on CD, will be fixed very soon. Please use the file in post #36 it's fixed there, just extract it to WinSetupFromUSB folder and launch it instead of the other EXE.

When I get back from holiday will put all changes in new beta version.

Thanks for the feedbacks. :)

ilko

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting this error all the time.

I've read the FAQ's and can't seem to understand what I'm doing wrong?

I'm trying to install to a notebook that has no problem with formating and reading the first set of files,

but when the computer restarts it just gives the error above.

Now when I'm trying to install with another USB-stick with other settings it doesn't allow me to format anymore. It keeps giving me this hal.dll error.

What can be wrong?

Thx!

jonsa79- what partition are you installing windows to? First, second...?

What folder name you gave for Windows, is it the default Windows?

Doe the laptop have a hidden first partition?

Please post your BOOT.INI on the root of the USB stick too. There must be a mismatch between BOOT.INI parameters and the location you install Windows to.

tonich- thanks :)

@ilko_t

Nice work and pls. receive my congratulations for it ! :thumbup

I have test it today and it is working OK from a 2GB USB Stick (formated as NTFS) and installed from it a winxp sp3 profesional VLK on my notebook but there is "small problem". The setup it seems not ask to select your Name and Organization and also skip the selection for time zone :(. Can you fix that because not all of us are live in US :blushing: . Thank you in advance !

Edited by onepic

$OEM$

Presetup.cmd

Would you please add support to copy the $Docs and $Progs folders inside the $OEM$ folder in the Presetup.cmd

Thanks

The next version will support everything as if installing from a CD. Hence no hacks or modifications will be needed to to accomplish such tasks.

Currently working on it, should be ready very shortly.

@ilko_t

Nice work and pls. receive my congratulations for it ! :thumbup

I have test it today and it is working OK from a 2GB USB Stick (formated as NTFS) and installed from it a winxp sp3 profesional VLK on my notebook but there is "small problem". The setup it seems not ask to select your Name and Organization and also skip the selection for time zone :(. Can you fix that because not all of us are live in US :blushing: . Thank you in advance !

The program is not messing with these settings. You most likely have a file unattended.txt in your source, which if found is copied and used as winnt.sif. This replicates what normal Setup would do.

If that's the case- have a look in \I386 in your Windows source and rename unattended.txt to anything else BEFORE you use the program if you don't want to use it.

Thanks for the feedbacks :)

Edited by ilko_t

I have renamed unattended.txt into unattended.tx_ and i have rebuild the setup and now all ok and it run like from original CD. Th'x for the tip !

btw... tested today on a 16GB usb stick and is working OK from there too.