How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

I guess it won't be fatal error, but that's yet to be confirmed.

By the way- on what machine are you testing? Does it have in BIOS an option for the SATA controller called IRRT, alongside IDE and AHCI?

I wiill check it and try to confirm it.

Testing on msi gx serie based laptop, which have only ahci enable/disable option in bios.

As i am aware IRRT is not suported by hardware.

I tried it. 1st part of install pass well, but it fails with a hal error at the boot of 2nd. Not sure if its related to the 'unknown error'...

Edited by chavis

By the way- on what machine are you testing? Does it have in BIOS an option for the SATA controller called IRRT, alongside IDE and AHCI?

Testing on msi gx serie based laptop, which have only ahci enable/disable option in bios.

I tried it. 1st part of install pass well, but it fails with a hal error at the boot of 2nd. Not sure if its related to the 'unknown error'...

This would be a nice testing machine... :whistle:

1) Can you check what has been written in boot.ini in the internal disk? You may use some live distro, XP Recovery Console, or even grub4dos:

find /boot.ini

if the output is like (hd0,1) then type:

cat (hd0,1)/boot.ini

2) Did you start from USB for the second part, the GUI mode?

3) Did you use PLoP by any chance?

4) In grub4dos CLI (press "c" when you see boot menu entries) type the following:

root ( 

and press [TAB] right after (, what's the result?

geometry (hd99)

and [ENTER] , what's the result?

find /usbdrive.tag

[ENTER] , what's the result?

Fantastic tool, I've been using several incarnations of this tool for quite some time, and I love every improvement that goes into this mastermind clockwork.

I've actually registered to MSFN to leave this post, in hopes that it will strike a cord with the folks here, and the developer in particular.

When using a "dirty" disk, especially very large disks there is the risk that the boot files will not reside at the beginning of the disk.

Up till recently my solution would be to backup everything, format the disk, and then copy the files in order back to the disk.

But with a 500GB HD, which is 40% full, it's a real pain in the $%^*^&&$, so I looked for another solution - defrag tools.

MyDefrag is the only tool that is both free and could accomodate my needs: free up space at the beginning of the disk, move specific files/dirs to the beginning of the disk - do it fast.

I suggest you take a look at MyDefrag: http://www.mydefrag.com/

And here is the MyDefrag script I used to fix my grub bootloader + Win 7 setup from USB HDD:

# A Lockszmith MyDefrag script: Fix Grub Position
#
# This script was written by Lockszmith (CC-AT)

Title('Fix Grub Position')
Description("Fix Grub Position") // See the "Settings.MyD" file.

/* Write the header to the logfile. See the "Settings.MyD" file for the
definition of the "LogHeader" string. */
WriteLogfile("MyDefrag.log","LogHeader")

/* Select and process the volumes one by one. */
VolumeSelect
CommandlineVolumes()
VolumeActions

/* Write the "before" statistics to the logfile. See the "Settings.MyD" file
for the definition of the "LogBefore" string. */
AppendLogfile("MyDefrag.log","LogBefore")

/* Place files at 30% into the data on the disk. */
# MakeGap(RoundUp(VolumeUsed * 0.3,VolumeSize * 0.01), DoNotVacate)

/* Zone 1: Place the MFT and some other special NTFS files. */
FileSelect
SelectNtfsSystemFiles(yes)
FileActions
PlaceNtfsSystemFiles(Ascending,MftSize * 0.1)
FileEnd

/* Zone 2: Directories. */
FileSelect
Directory(yes)
FileActions
SortByName(Ascending)
FileEnd

/* Place files at the beginning of the disk. */
MakeGap(0)

/* Zone 3: files used when booting, and a gap. */
FileSelect
FileName("GRLDR") or FileName("menu.lst") or DirectoryName("BOOT") or DirectoryName("BOOTWS") or DirectoryName("EFI") or FileName("BOOTMGR") or FileName("MEMTEST")
FileActions
Defragment(Fast)
FastFill()
# AddGap(RoundUp(ZoneEnd,VolumeFree * 0.01))
FileEnd

/* Write the "after" statistics to the logfile. See the "Settings.MyD" file
for the definition of the "LogAfter" string. */
AppendLogfile("MyDefrag.log","LogAfter")

VolumeEnd

/* Write the footer to the logfile. See the "Settings.MyD" file for the
definition of the "LogFooter" string. */
AppendLogfile("MyDefrag.log","LogFooter")

Hope someone finds this useful, also hope to see MyDefrag with a similar script be integrated to a next release of WinSetupFromUSB.

Thanks for reading.

@ Lockszmith

Thanks, that's very good usage.

In case of large hard disks wouldn't it better to create several GBs primary partition at beginning of the disk and place all those files there? In another partition(s) goes all the rest.

Why aren't you using such partitioning?

This would be a nice testing machine... :whistle:

1) Can you check what has been written in boot.ini in the internal disk? You may use some live distro, XP Recovery Console, or even grub4dos:

find /boot.ini

if the output is like (hd0,1) then type:

cat (hd0,1)/boot.ini

2) Did you start from USB for the second part, the GUI mode?

3) Did you use PLoP by any chance?

4) In grub4dos CLI (press "c" when you see boot menu entries) type the following:

root ( 

geometry (hd99)

and [ENTER] , what's the result?

find /usbdrive.tag

[ENTER] , what's the result?

Iread your post too late:(

Already installed it using the stable version. I will try to test it again this week.

1Can you check what has been written in boot.ini in the internal disk?

I checked while and i am sure it was some random seed.

2Did you start from USB for the second part, the GUI mode?

Yes

3Did you use PLoP by any chance?

Yes.Both ways.With plop is very fast, but the same error persisted so i supose it isnt related.

In grub4dos CLI (press "c" when you see boot menu entries) type the following:root (

I will check it with the next test.

I am sorry cant be of much help right now, but will post as soon as possible with more detalled information.

3Did you use PLoP by any chance?

Yes.Both ways.With plop is very fast, but the same error persisted so i supose it isnt related.

I think that's the case, changed drive mapping leading to wrong ARC paths. Without PLoP, I guess, you could run the first part without errors, although a bit slowly.

I think that's the case, changed drive mapping leading to wrong ARC paths. Without PLoP, I guess, you could run the first part without errors, although a bit slowly.

Actually if i remember well i was getting the error without plop too.

The stable version is working well with plop.

And some other thing.The installer didnt set well the grub menu entier for the plop and linux.(the beta version)

Edited by chavis

I'd like this to be confirmed.

There were changes in PLoP version 5.0.11 and it's a bit tricky to figure out what's the right combination of PLoP and WinSetupFromUSB version on a particular machine, hence the capitalized EXPERIMENTAL in PLoP menu title.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmngrusblog.html

Updates from 5.0.10 to 5.0.11:

Update of the number of hard disk drives in the bios data area for booting usb reactivated.

Previous versions do not need and use ARC paths, with msdosinitiated=1 Setup defaults to using ~BT and ~LS folders and searches for them, this is hardcoded. Default and somehow supported by MS method, which also brings number of nasty limitations, which all were avoided using the small ISO method in the newer versions.

And some other thing.The installer didnt set well the grub menu entier for the plop and linux.(the beta version)
Can you elaborate a bit more?

I'd like this to be confirmed.

There were changes in PLoP version 5.0.11 and it's a bit tricky to figure out what's the right combination of PLoP and WinSetupFromUSB version on a particular machine, hence the capitalized EXPERIMENTAL in PLoP menu title.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmngrusblog.html

Will try to confirm it.

Previous versions do not need and use ARC paths, with msdosinitiated=1 Setup defaults to using ~BT and ~LS folders and searches for them, this is hardcoded. Default and somehow supported by MS method, which also brings number of nasty limitations, which all were avoided using the small ISO method in the newer versions.

I dont really understand what you want to say.The stable version is working well with plop.

Can you elaborate a bit more?

Yes.Botting the plop with the boot entries generate from last version result in reboot.(switching manually to entries generated by previous version work fine).

Booting mint lxde 9 result in kernel panic.Switching to previous works fine.

Edited by chavis

Yes.Botting the plop with the boot entries generate from last version result in reboot.(switching manually to entries generated by previous version work fine).

Would you write what exactly you change?

Will later today. I am planing to test it today again for you, so if you have more question or need more information please ask now. because the period of actual testing will be short.thank you

Got a smaller question for you:p

Do I have to use the tool to formate the usbdrive?

I tried beta107 without formating it using the tool (i used windows dduuh)

and that didnt work so i tried beta 106 and formatted the drive using the tool and then it did work.

Will later today. I am planing to test it today again for you, so if you have more question or need more information please ask now. because the period of actual testing will be short.thank you

1) what entries do you change for PLoP?

2)

Got a smaller question for you:p

Do I have to use the tool to formate the usbdrive?

I tried beta107 without formating it using the tool (i used windows dduuh)

and that didnt work so i tried beta 106 and formatted the drive using the tool and then it did work.

Was this a USB hard disk? It should work formatting it by disk management. How far did you get when it didn't work? What was the last thing you saw on the screen?

If USB stick- yes, you better to use the tools supplied.