How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Thanks. I was thinking maybe there was a simple fix besides to reinstall or redeploy an image. The fact is that sometimes I don't realize that my stick is infected, thus broken. I go to another town to install a WinXP, and surprise! The stick doesn't work. :)

Also, I am curious why this behaivior appears after the infection. To say things right, this is my greatest curiosity.

Would you recommend a good tool (freeware maybe) for imaging USB sticks?

Edited by MackTK

I am using ver 0.2.3. I went thru instructions and created a bootable usb for me.

However, It is crashed (tried many times) right after the message "Setup is starting Windows".

Do I missed any steps or do I need to modify some file after preparing and copying sourc files to USB drive?

Please advise.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by ilko_t
needless quote removed

@donpham

What does the error message say? Is there an error code, something like 0x0000007B?

Did you check FAQs thread?

And please, refrain from quoting lengthy posts just to ask a simple, unrelated to other posts question, use ADD REPLY button.

I did not pay attention what was the exact error code. It is blue screen with white text. I recalled it says something like "if this is the first time etc..."

@donpham

What does the error message say? Is there an error code, something like 0x0000007B?

Did you check FAQs thread?

And please, refrain from quoting lengthy posts just to ask a simple, unrelated to other posts question, use ADD REPLY button.

I did not pay attention what was the exact error code. It is blue screen with white text. I recalled it says something like "if this is the first time etc..

Good, next time pay attention what the screen says and provide details, so you can be helped :)

The error code is STOP: 0x0000007B...

...Did you check FAQs thread?

To answer anyway:

1) Try the modified ntdetect.com

2) In BIOS switch SATA mode to IDE if you have similar option or integrate the appropriate mass storage driver(s).

Please, do a little search before asking questions, this has been answered numerous times, at least check the pinned FAQs topic.

I found a link in this forum and replaced with a modified ntdetect.com. It worked and I do not have an error code 7B.

However, during the GUI mode, it asks to enter Product key. I integrated ahci drivers into the XP setup source files with (fully automatic) unattended setup.

I use WinSetupFrusb to copy source files from modified XP CD.

Is the setup XP from USB similar from CD with fully unattended setup?

To answer anyway:

1) Try the modified ntdetect.com

2) In BIOS switch SATA mode to IDE if you have similar option or integrate the appropriate mass storage driver(s).

However, during the GUI mode, it asks to enter Product key.

Is a product key supplied in winnt.sif? Is it in the correct format? Is it valid? A lot of keys were blacklisted as of SP3. Double check.

Is the setup XP from USB similar from CD with fully unattended setup?

Almost, with a few exceptions in 0.x.x versions, but the product key part is just as same as from a CD.

Starting with version 1 unattended settings are fully covered and not changed, except one- autopartition, which is set to no (0) because Setup may screw up the USB drive.

The one used by setup is in ~BT folder. No idea why yours differ, should not, in your source you should have a single one in I386 folder, and this one is used by the program and copied to ~BT folder.

Did you make changes after the USB drive was prepared?

I am getting following error

post-314586-0-78921900-1295112991_thumb.

It says:

INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 13.

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

Windows root/system32/hall.dll

Please reinstall a copy of the above file

Edited by hallo

I am getting following error...

How did you format the USB disk? Using what program and options?

Any reason to use an old and outdated version of the program? The latest version is 1.0 beta7.