How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

I am getting following error...

How did you format the USB disk? Using what program and options?

Any reason to use an old and outdated version of the program? The latest version is 1.0 beta7.

I have used old version 1.0

Now I have new version 1.0.7 beta downloaded and hope it will help me!

I did not make any changes at all.

I tried to go thru the process again. I also selected "FAT16 and BOOT AS HDD". After copying source files to the USB and replaced with modified NTDETECT.COM, it works perfectly just like setup from CD.

I tested on 2 different models HP laptops, and Dell OptiPlex 780, the installation processes went smoothly without asking to enter product key.

The one used by setup is in ~BT folder. No idea why yours differ, should not, in your source you should have a single one in I386 folder, and this one is used by the program and copied to ~BT folder.

Did you make changes after the USB drive was prepared?

I did not make any changes at all.

I tried to go thru the process again. I also selected "FAT16 and BOOT AS HDD". After copying source files to the USB and replaced with modified NTDETECT.COM, it works perfectly just like setup from CD.

I tested on 2 different models HP laptops, and Dell OptiPlex 780, the installation processes went smoothly without asking to enter product key.

The one used by setup is in ~BT folder. No idea why yours differ, should not, in your source you should have a single one in I386 folder, and this one is used by the program and copied to ~BT folder.

Did you make changes after the USB drive was prepared?

You are confusing me :)

Does everything now work as expected?

Hello. I'm new here and I thank you for the great job you've done.

I also encounter a problem when installing XP SP3

I have a legal copy of WIn XP SP2 which had slipstreamed SP3, and I made it unnattended with an WINNT.SIF file with product key and all other settings, also with an $OEM$ folder to get automatically a few programs that I use very often.

Now, the problem that I encounter is that right after the first reboot ( on the second part of installing Windows XP ) I get the Fatal Error message:

" An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing.

One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

There are no more files.

Press OK to view the Setup log file"

I pressed OK and I get the next window:

" System Setup Log - (C:\Windows\setuperr.log)

Error:

SXS.DLL: Assembly under D:\WINSETUP\XPPSP3\I386\asms\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON could not be installed because manifest is missing.

Error:

Installation Failed: D:\WINSETUP\XPPSP3\I386\asms. Error Message : There are no more files.

Fatal Error:

One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

There are no more files.

*** "

I've looked up in that folder ( D:\WINSETUP\XPPSP3\I386\asms\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON ) and I have these files:

MSVCIRT.DL_

msvcirt.dll

MSVCRT.DL_

msvcrt.dll

MSWINCRT.CA_

mswincrt.cat

MSWINCRT.MAN

and a folder: CONTROLS which contains the files:

COMCTL32.DL_

COMCTL32.DLL

CONTROLS.CA_

CONTROLS.CAT

CONTROLS.MAN

The original CD contains only the folder CONTROLS which contains the files:

COMCTL32.DLL

CONTROLS.CAT

CONTROLS.MAN

Hope you can help me. Thanks

PS: I want to mention that after restart, I booted up also from USB stick (selecting the option with the second part) and HDD directly. In both cases aI get the same error.

Similar SXS.DLL "ASMS" related errors are traditionally (from CD) a sign of:

1. a non-original (or however "messed with") source
  2. a bad burn (or an .iso created with "wrong" mkisofs parameters)

I wonder what can be the problem on a USB stick. :whistle:;)

If I were you I would try with a "clean" SP3 (without your mods/integration/unattended/whatever) first, and then with the SP2 "original", should have the slipstreaming of SP3 has caused the problem, BTW HOW was it slistremed? (directly, using. nlite, any other program)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Similar SXS.DLL "ASMS" related errors are traditionally (from CD) a sign of:

1. a non-original (or however "messed with") source
  2. a bad burn (or an .iso created with "wrong" mkisofs parameters)

I wonder what can be the problem on a USB stick. :whistle:;)

If I were you I would try with a "clean" SP3 (without your mods/integration/unattended/whatever) first, and then with the SP2 "original", should have the slipstreaming of SP3 has caused the problem, BTW HOW was it slistremed? (directly, using. nlite, any other program)

jaclaz

Was directly slipstremed through the /integrate command.in Run window. No other programs used. No other programs added and used to modd the image of windows other than the ones in $OEM$ folder which are Winamp, Total Commander and a startup.cpl aded in system32 of windows folder.

The answer file was made with the setupmgr.exe tool from the same disk.

Here is the WINNT.SIF file (maybe something is wrong in it):

'

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutomaticUpdates="No"

AutoPartition="0"

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

UnattendSwitch="No"

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

FileSystem=*

WaitForReboot="No"

NoWaitAfterTextMode=1

NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1

OemPnPDriversPath=Drivers

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

KeyboardLayout="US"

Hibernation="No"

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=115

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey= ---REMOVED---

FullName="WindowsXPPro"

OrgName="WindowsXPPro"

ComputerName=WINDOWSXPPRO

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

Vrefresh=60

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=2

Language=00000418

SystemLocale=00000418

UserLocale=00000418

InputLocale=0418:00000409

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[WindowsFirewall]

Profiles=WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]

Mode=0

[branding]

BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

Home_Page=http://www.google.com/

[Components]

msmsgs=off

msnexplr=off

AutoUpdate=off

chat=off

deskpaper=off

dialer=off

fax=off "

In case I didn't mention it, The windows copy was burned onto a CD, and one whole year as I used that CD , the installation was smooth every time, and I never had one problem with that copy. Whenever I install from CD this copy I get no error whatsoever.

Nou when I made the USB stick , I used the tool downloaded from this very first post (V1.0 beta 7) and I only added Windows XP and a Windows 7 x64 on the USB stick, whithout making any changes to the settings. W7 installes without a problem, and the XP won't install at all.

Edited by mihaipricop82

Can you zip and attach the following three files- winsetup.log from \windows directory on the hard disk and WInSetupFromUSB.log in program directory. If you used the program after the build the old logs are cab compressed in \backups folder, just find the relevant one, and txtsetup.sif from the small ISO file in \WINSETUP folder on the USB disk.

My advise to new people is

Using Setupfromusb v0.2.3.

Select FAT and Boot as HDD.

Make sure your Windows XP setup CD works fine.

After finishing copy source files, replacing NTDETECT.COM with "modified ntdetect.com" found in this forum.

Using Setupfromusb v0.2.3.

I'd use latest available version, currently 1.0 beta7. Don't get scared away because of the word beta. It's mostly beta because it's not bundled with docs, installer, etc etc.

Select FAT

Only if disk/partition size is 2GB or less.
and Boot as HDD.
Let the program decide this. The radio button is to FORCE detection of one or another, in most cases one does not need to touch this at all.
Make sure your Windows XP setup CD works fine.
:thumbup
After finishing copy source files, replacing NTDETECT.COM with "modified ntdetect.com" found in this forum.

:thumbup

Select FAT

Only if disk/partition size is 2GB or less.

FAT 16 can be "extended to 4 GB and FAT doesn't mean "FAT16" inly, it may ALSO mean "FAT32". :whistling:

Just for the record (anf for the interest of donpham) there may be trade-offs ;):

jaclaz

I have a legal copy of WIn XP SP2 which had slipstreamed SP3

How do you slipstream?

As for testing purposes:

did you create a ISO image?

can you install XP SP3 using this ISO image? (CD or vitutal machine)

SXS.DLL: Assembly under D:\WINSETUP\XPPSP3\I386\asms\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON could not be installed because manifest is missing.

MSVCIRT.DL_

msvcirt.dll

MSVCIRT.DL_ contains msvcirt.dll too. This may lead to confusion.

Do not use MSVCIRT.DL_ and msvcirt.dll. Delete older file.

This goes to all file pairs.

Can you zip and attach the following three files- winsetup.log from \windows directory on the hard disk and WInSetupFromUSB.log in program directory. If you used the program after the build the old logs are cab compressed in \backups folder, just find the relevant one, and txtsetup.sif from the small ISO file in \WINSETUP folder on the USB disk.

I have attached them in this post.

for cdob:

I mentioned before. Through /integrate command in Run window. I copied the contents of the CD on a folder on the hard drive, ant I've runed the command integrate SP3 into that folder.

About MSVCIRT.DL_, msvcirt.dll. I removed MSVCIRT.DL_ and nothing is different. The same error everytime.

Maybe those logs will help finding the problem.

Good day.

3files.zip

I mentioned before. Through /integrate command in Run window.
Which Run window do you use? Which OS do you use?

Run XP to slipstream a XP SP.

Unclear still: slipstream error or USB boot error.

Verify slipstreamed XP first. Create a ISO file.

Burn a CD. Make a test installation.

Anyway: which hardware do you use?

Motherboard, BIOS, USB device, USB storage size

I mentioned before. Through /integrate command in Run window.
Which Run window do you use? Which OS do you use?

Run XP to slipstream a XP SP.

Unclear still: slipstream error or USB boot error.

Verify slipstreamed XP first. Create a ISO file.

Burn a CD. Make a test installation.

Anyway: which hardware do you use?

Motherboard, BIOS, USB device, USB storage size

OK. i'll explain so to be clear.

Under Windows XP Pro SP2 operating system:

1. I used an original OEM Windows XP Pro SP2 English CD, a yellowish one from Microsoft with hologram and all those other security things.

2. Copied all the contents to a folder named "XP" on C:\ partition.

3. Downloaded SP3 and left it in the root on C:\ partition, named XPSP3.EXE

4. Clecked Start > Run... and in that windows wrote C:\XPSP3.EXE /integrate:C:\XP and left it to be done.

5. Saved the boot image from original CD with UltraISO.

6. Added the $OEM$ folder in the C:\XP folder and with Total Commander and Winamp in $Progs, and a startup.cpl utility in $$ / Windows / system32 folder.

7. Created an answer file with the setupmgr.exe tool from the CD and saved it and renamed it in WINNT.SIF and put it in the I386 folder.

8. Using Nero Burning Rom, I burned all those files in the C:\XP folder onto a new CD, made it bootable with the boot image extracted with UltraISO.

All of these were made under the Windows XP Pro SP2 operating system, not Vista, not W 7 nor '98, and it was made about 2 years ago.

I didn't use any other tool, no nLite, no updates were included, nothing else at all.

I used that CD for 2 whole years at the installation and I neved had a problem. Everytime the installation and the os newley installed worked very very fine.

Now I've decided to put it on an USB stick because it intalls a lot faster so I didn't want to use too many tools, bit this one from here.

Was tested on 2 different systems and I always had the same problem. Now it's more convenient for me to test it on a Asus P5N-E SLI MB, BIOS 0703, CPU E2220 2,4Ghz, 1G RAM, 80G Western Digital ATA, VGA Asus EN6600.

The USB stick, is an Silicon Power of 16Gb, and I also used an Kingston DT400 of 4Gb - same problem with both of them.

I didn't even renamed the partition on the USB stick. I left it blank.

I will try to rephrase my previous post. :unsure:

We have reports that:

• UNTOUCHED original SP2 sources do work with WinSetupFromUSBwithGUI
  • UNTOUCHED original SP3 sources do work with WinSetupFromUSBwithGUI

Then we have reports that :

• UNTOUCHED original SP2 sources with SP3 ONLY integrated do work with WinSetupFromUSBwithGUI

Then we have few reports that:

• MODIFIED original SP2 sources with SP3 integrated DO NOT work with WinSetupFromUSBwithGUI
  • MODIFIED original SP3 sources DO NOT work with WinSetupFromUSBwithGUI

Please consider that a MODIFIED original SP2 sources with SP3 integrated may work on CD and fail on USB stick.

As well it is possible that something ELSE is causing the problem (the steps you take when using WinSetupFromUSBwithGUI, the hardware you are testing on, whatever)

A very good way to understand if it's the latter or the former is to have a report of what happens when you try using the same steps on the same hardware BUT using an UNTOUCHED source, known to be working for all the other people using the program.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz