How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Let's try to manually load the setup and see where it breaks.

Type one by one:

find --set-root --ignore-cd /WINSETUP/XPpSP3.ISO

(hd1,0)

root (hd0,0)

filesystem type is ntfs, partition type 0x07

map /WINSETUP/XPpSP3.ISO (0xff) || map --mem /WINSETUP/XPpSP3.ISO (0xff)

Error 15: File not Found (when written as in code. when i write just "/winsetup/xppsp3.iso" (don't use Shift-key i mean), i just get a new command line.)

map (hd0) (hd1)

new command line

map (hd1) (hd0)

new command line

map --hook

new command line

root (0xff)

filesystem type is iso9660, using whole disc

chainloader (0xff)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN

Error 15: File not found

(when wriiten "/i386/setupldr.bin")

Will boot NTLDR from drive=0xff, partition=0xff(hidden sectors=0x0)

(when written "/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN")

Would need the output after each command.

It's very interesting what's with this machine, since it works fine in QEMU :unsure:

Yeah, I'd love to know that too :)

added code gets this result:

9 (hex:0x9)

Ahh, here we go. BIOS reports 9 hard drives. Menu entries are intended for up to 8. Grub4dos doesn't support more than 8 map slots...

http://reboot.pro/12449/page__view__findpost__p__108897

What type and how many mass storage devices are connected?

Are there any USB card readers?

How many internal hard drives are connected?

Is this a laptop? What model?

Is it a desktop? What motherboard model?

I got 8 internal HDDs connected.

5x Samsung HD154UI (SATA), 1x HD103UI (SATA), 1x 500GB WD (system, 2 partitions) and 160GB WD (both IDE),

1 USB-Stick connected to install Windows from

No USB card readers

no other external mass storage devices connected

It's a Desktop.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-M720-US3

I got 8 internal HDDs connected...

:w00t:

Wouldn't have guessed.

You'd have to disconnect temporarily some of the unneeded ones to get going. Can't properly support more than 6 internal disks + the USB one = 7. One mapping reserved for the virtual CD. Total 8. That's what grub4dos allows currently.

I'll put a warning message in the next version if grub4dos detects more than 7 disks.Didn't expect in a real world scenario such configuration.

Can you test if everything goes smoothly with some of the disks disconnected?

Will ask grub4dos developers if this number can be increased in future release.

I want to add Windows XP setup both x32 and x64

Ubuntu 10.10

Vista x86 and x64

Windows 7 x86 and x64

and Hiren Boot CD to my USB Drive

I have to Internal HDD (Will That be a problem or its ok with that I dont want to loose my data trying to install windows on my second HDD)

Is this possible....

I don't think now it comes under warez now it contains only the freeware utilities all the commercial softwares have been removed....leave apart hiren tell me can I do the thing I mentioned above....

Sure, miniXP and Windows 98 being nororiously Freeware.... :whistle:

And still, try reading again the first post.

Get the stable release.

Read the documentation that comes with it.

Then re-read first post.

jaclaz

For years it's gone well, Nlited XP installation with DP and updates integrated. RMUSBPrep NTFS, 2 partitions, then WinSetupFromUSB.

This installed beautifully on a pre-partitioned harddrive with three primary partitions by means of a lot of scripts and .reg files. In this way it finished with a System drive, a Data drive and a Misc drive, the latter for all the to-do installation sources and being FAT32, fully accessible..

The 2GB Sandisk Cruzer I used became too small for the purpose so I decided to use a bigger one, had some PQI's laying around and a unknown brand.

None of them does the intended job: With the PQI's the initial start of Windows gives a BSOD as Unmountable_Boot_Volume with stop error ED and the undefined one is mounted with drive letter D in stead of U,V or W, which renders it unusable because my scripts expect C, D and E for the hard drive partitions.

The Sandisk acts as expected with exactly the same procedure and computer. The versions of WinSetupFromUSB differ only in the fact that Beta7 works with a Asus-based laptop as was meant by the developer (Except for the hybrid video of course, but this is a matter of DP). RMPrep was tried with many possible combinations of Filesystems and Overrides, reducing size if appropriate.

Two logs are in the attached archive: One for the PQI and one for the unknown brand. After days of struggle I sincerely hope someone can tell me where I'm goofing. It should be me, nowhere I found a clue to similar problems. I suspect the firmware in the sticks used. But then, there's no problem in booting.

About the BSOD- did you try again to boot it? MS articles also mention corrupted file system or disk as a reason not to be able to mount the boot volume. Can try running chkdsk on that stick? Does it actually work reliably when used for regular tasks?

As for the wrong drive letters using the unknown brand- please attach it to your computer and export as a reg file from regedit the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Let me know what drive letter that USB stick has at that time and attach the reg file.