Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

• Please log in to reply
2122 replies to this topic

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
For some reason program fails to create the folder and copy from D:\Private\Projekt\USB\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\ where ~BT files are placed temporarily.
What windows are you using? Do you have rights to write in this folder?
Are you using limited account?
Is the folder TEMP created and only copy to it fails?
Can you try to install the program in let's say D:\WinSetupFromUSB and see if the long path is the problem?

To save time and write cycles to the USB stick you may use COPY BOOT FILES ONLY option and eventually QEMU option to test until the problem is fixed.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Raboo

Raboo

• 17 posts
  • Joined 08-January 07

What windows are you using? Do you have rights to write in this folder?
Are you using limited account?
Is the folder TEMP created and only copy to it fails?
Can you try to install the program in let's say D:\WinSetupFromUSB and see if the long path is the problem?

Vista x64
Yes, I have rights
Administrator privilege account
Yeah TEMP is created
Tried from D:\WinSetupFromUSB, did not help, same error messages.

Edited by Raboo, 06 August 2008 - 06:20 AM.

Get Hosted Exchange or virtual servers at LetIT.

Raboo

Raboo

• 17 posts
  • Joined 08-January 07
Ok I manually copied & extracted all files that failed to copy using WinSetupFromUSB. And the TXT setup starts but I run into another problem now.. while loading drivers/controllers when it reaches Silicon image SATA something... SI3132B4.sys
It says roughly translated:
Not enough memory for SI3132B4.sys.
Press any key to continue.

And when I do that it says
Installation Failed. Press any key to reboot.

I don't think the whole 1 gb of ram would be full with drivers.. :S

And somehow it worked with USB MultiBoot 10.

The question is, is it the memory or something else?
Did I do something wrong while i copied the missing files?
The $WIN_NT$.~BT is 24mb so I don't really think that the drivers takes 1 gb of ram....

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07
The parsing of dosnet.inf fails. The double quotes are the problem.
Try to copy first complete XP Source from CD/DVD to Folder on Harddisk e.g. F:\XPR3
Then run WinSetupFromUSB again.

2008/08/05 18:07:25- ERROR!!!----F:"\I386"\ntdetect.com could not be copied to D:\Private\Projekt\USB\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\

Edited by wimb, 05 August 2008 - 11:40 PM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
:blushing:
Thanks Wimb, I should have seen that, guess jet lag is killing me more than I realize.

It's an AutoIt issue with x64 or Vista, under XP i386 using DVD/CD as source does not fail in that part, I took care of that while coding. Just tested it again under XP with Windows files in CD:
2008/08/06 01:27:39- DOSNET.INF parsed, 125 files for ~BT folder
2008/08/06 01:27:39- D:\I386\disk1---> C:\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\disk101
2008/08/06 01:27:39- D:\I386\ntdetect.com---> C:\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\
2008/08/06 01:27:40- D:\I386\ntkrnlmp.ex_ ---> C:\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\
2008/08/06 01:27:40- D:\I386\setupldr.bin---> C:\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\
2008/08/06 01:27:40- D:\I386\txtsetup.sif---> C:\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\
2008/08/06 01:27:40- D:\I386\biosinfo.inf---> C:\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\
2008/08/06 01:27:40- D:\I386\disk1---> C:\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\disk102
2008/08/06 01:27:40- D:\I386\hal.dl_ ---> C:\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\
2008/08/06 01:27:40- D:\I386\halacpi.dl_ ---> C:\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\
2008/08/06 01:27:40- D:\I386\halapic.dl_ ---> C:\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\
2008/08/06 01:27:41- D:\I386\halaacpi.dl_ ---> C:\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\
2008/08/06 01:27:41- D:\I386\drvmain.sdb---> C:\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\
2008/08/06 01:27:41- D:\I386\setupreg.hiv---> C:\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\
At the same time I tested a while ago the program under XP x64 with source on the hard disk and that worked fine.
Quites are not needed in AutoIt for file paths and are not added in the script anywhere, I am curious where they came from.
May have to compile separate version for x64 when I get back home, will investigate further.

Thanks for the accurate reports Raboo, it's pleasure responding to such.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

Raboo

Raboo

• 17 posts
  • Joined 08-January 07
I copied the XP CD to D:\

It didn't help much... still get the same errors

I've attached the log files

Attached Files

Raboo

Raboo

• 17 posts
  • Joined 08-January 07
I tried to do the same thing on a windows XP 32bit in vmware, i still get the same errors... maybe it's my WindowsXP that is messed up

Raboo

Raboo

• 17 posts
  • Joined 08-January 07
I've found the problem, the problem is in my DOSNET.INF
[Directories]
d1 = "\I386"
d2 = "\cmpnents\tabletpc\I386"
d3 = "\cmpnents\mediactr\I386"

It should be
[Directories]
d1 = \I386
d2 = \cmpnents\tabletpc\I386
d3 = \cmpnents\mediactr\I386

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Please test the attached version. Extract the file in WinSetupFromUSB folder and launch it.

http://www.datafileh...d-2c3b0317.html

Yep, the problem must be there, I haven't seen quotes in that section of DOSNET.INF, and included removal if present anyway.

Raboo

Raboo

• 17 posts
  • Joined 08-January 07
The new version mostly works except for 2 important files:
2008/08/06 22:56:20- ERROR!!!----F:\I386\ntdll.dll could not be copied to D:\Private\Projekt\USB\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\"system32\ntdll.dll"
2008/08/06 22:56:20- ERROR!!!----F:\I386\usetup.exe could not be copied to D:\Private\Projekt\USB\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\"system32\smss.exe"

and it's from this part of DOSNET.INF
[FloppyFiles.3]
d1,disk1,disk104
d1,ntdll.dll,"system32\ntdll.dll"
d1,usetup.exe,"system32\smss.exe"
And again this works if I remove the quotation marks, ex. d1,ntdll.dll,system32\ntdll.dll

And btw the qutation marks is something nlite have added since my original windows source doesn't have them.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Heh, quotes were not expected there too :)
Here is a version, which should take care of them.
http://www.datafileh...d-4bf62239.html

BTW what version of nLite is that? It rather seems like nLite bug, I wonder if winnt32.exe would accept that syntax.

Edited by ilko_t, 06 August 2008 - 04:13 PM.

Raboo

Raboo

• 17 posts
  • Joined 08-January 07

BTW what version of nLite is that? It rather seems like nLite bug, I wonder if winnt32.exe would accept that syntax.

1.4.5 Final I think.

btw this latest one fixed the quotation marks issues but introduced a new error:
2008/08/07 03:29:51- ERROR!!!----F:\I386\Bootfont.bin could not be copied to D:\Private\Projekt\USB\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

btw this latest one fixed the quotation marks issues but introduced a new error:

2008/08/07 03:29:51- ERROR!!!----F:\I386\Bootfont.bin could not be copied to D:\Private\Projekt\USB\WinSetupFromUSB\TEMP\$WIN_NT$.~BT\

Good :)
You can safely ignore that error if bootfont.bin doesn't exist in \i386.
Did you perform installation, any issues there?

Raboo

Raboo

• 17 posts
  • Joined 08-January 07

Did you perform installation, any issues there?

I actually installed Windows with the old version, I edited the DOSNET.INF first of course..
But I tested the TXTsetup with this new one (with the old DOSNET.INF) and it works.

Raboo

Raboo

• 17 posts
  • Joined 08-January 07
btw while we are at it I have a question regarding nlite+USB Sticks.
nlite has a feature "RunOnce" to run commands after first install.
And it usually gets it's "Source Drive info" from the registry and it tells the CD/DVD drive letter from where the installation CD is.
for /f "tokens=3" %%i IN ('reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup /v "SourcePath" ^| findstr "REG_SZ"') do set SOURCE=%%i
But the SourcePath is set to A:\ when using USB-stick instead of a CD/DVD.

Is there any way of determining the SourcePath of the USB-stick?

And another thing i noticed that when booting GRUB4DOS "First part of Windows XP Professional setup from partition 0" is the set to default.
I just think that it would be better to have "Second part of XP Professional setup+Start it first time from part 0" as the default to autoboot after 30 seconds.
The reason is if like you are about to start a new installation it's most likely you are monitoring the screen to start the setup and then you can manually select "First part". And then you start the install and format the C: drive or whatever.. And after that it's mostly unattended I think. It copies a bunch of files and then it reboots. After reboot it would be good if GRUB4DOS runs the second part without user intervention after 30 seconds. That way you don't have to monitor your installation. Of course I know this can be done by setting "default 1" in menu.lst. But I thought perhaps this can be changed in your next version?

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
This is part of Binifix4.cmd, which is launched at GUIRunOnce, you may include your stuff inside or use the code.
Mind you- when multiple windows sources are on the USB stick, tagfile is different- WIN_00.BT, WIN_01.BT etc. etc. You may use your own tag file.

SET USBDRIVE=
SET TAGFILE=\WIN_NT.BT

FOR %%h IN (C D M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y) DO IF EXIST "%%h:%TAGFILE%" SET USBDRIVE=%%h:

if "%USBDRIVE%" == "" (
   FOR %%h IN (E F G H I J K L) DO IF EXIST "%%h:%TAGFILE%" SET USBDRIVE=%%h:
)

menu.lst will be fixed in next version, by the end of september when I will have spare time- have a look at the posts at bottom of first page and firsts on second page of this thread- they are all about menu.lst and the default entry.

edit: similar part for finding USB drive you will find in ren_fold.cmd, launched from SetupParams in winnt.sif.

edit2: It would be good idea ren_fold.cmd or binifix4.cmd to set the found drive letter in

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup SourcePath

Need to investigate when it is created, and will include it in the next version, thanks.

Edited by ilko_t, 07 August 2008 - 02:53 AM.

edie209

edie209

• 33 posts
  • Joined 27-February 06
I have been following this project and decided to give it a go, but I have run into a problem.

The install to Flash Drive seems to work fine I have opted to have XP, BartPE, and Vista. XP boots and starts to install but blue screens on "Starting Windows" (text section) the error is

Stop 0x0000007b (0xf7c80524, 0x00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Vista works fine I have yet to try BartPE

The PC is a Dell 755 with sata hard drive

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

And you have integrated the specific sata drivers, right? :unsure:

Can you try again setting in BIOS "ATA or IDE" compatibility mode?

jaclaz

cdob

cdob

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 29-September 05

That's a well known troublemaker.

Use a edited ntdetect.com http://www.msfn.org/...m...st&p=738009

edie209

edie209

• 33 posts
  • Joined 27-February 06
Ok I have done that and it works but install is really slow Usb 2.0 flash drive is there anything known to speed things up ?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Ok I have done that and it works but install is really slow Usb 2.0 flash drive is there anything known to speed things up ?

Maybe that Dell has USB 2.0 ports but only boots at 1.1 speed. :unsure:

For the moment no solution, something is in the works, but nothing yet functional.

jaclaz

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

Which part goes slow? Loading drivers during Text mode only or loading drivers AND copying files at end of Text mode?
If it's first- your BIOS does boot in USB 1.1 speed, after loading drivers it should be USB 2.0.
If second- try formatting stick in NTFS/FAT32 or FAT16 if it's 2GB or less and BIOS supports boot from such, matter of experimenting.

edie209

edie209

• 33 posts
  • Joined 27-February 06
I have been playing around and I tried formating in NTFS the results are amazing I have gone from nearly 2 hours for the 1st section of the install to about 4 mins.

All is not well though on part3 of the install I get an error

Windows could not start because the following file was missing or currupt
<Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll
Please reinstall a copy of the above file

So I am going to try and find out why I get this message, but if anyone knows why please tell me

sunray73

sunray73
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 13-August 08
So I was able to get BartPE to load up but as far as any of many linux dist.. nada... I get the following error. I'm running a 4GB formatted FAT32.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Booting 'Start SysLinux bootsector from partition 0'

Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0cx

SYSLINUX 3.64 2008-04-10 EBIOS Copyright © 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin
could not find kernal image: linux
boot:
------------------------------------------------------------------

sunray73

sunray73
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 13-August 08
Well I tried with a 2GB Fash drive FAT16 and same error... Please help!

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users