Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

• Please log in to reply
2120 replies to this topic

Caspean

Caspean

• 24 posts
  • Joined 04-January 09
Based on what you wrote I thought I'd play around with this and see if I could figure out if anything is being deleted.

I reformatted the flashdrive with WinSetupFromUSB 0.2.1 (HP format Tool). Then I put in my installation CD and ran WinSetupFromUSB with the default settings.

The flashdrive Info (before attempting an install):
7602 Files
187 Folders
811,129,730 bytes
advpack.mui and ieframe.mui are not present, but these files of similar name are:
G:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\IEFRAME.DL_
G:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\IEFRAME.MU_
G:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\ADVPACK.DL_
G:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\ADVPACK.MU_

During the first stage of the two part install I get each of the following errors one time: (after NTFS formatting, when the files are copied, before reboot)

Windows XP Professional Setup
=========================
Setup cannot copy the file: advpack.mui

• To retry, press ENTER.

If you are installing fomr a CD, make sure the Windows XP CD is in the CD-ROM drive.

• To skp this file, press ESC.

CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete and Windows XP may not work properly.

• To quit Setup, press F3

and

Windows XP Professional Setup
=========================
Setup cannot copy the file: ieframe.mui

• To retry, press ENTER.

If you are installing fomr a CD, make sure the Windows XP CD is in the CD-ROM drive.

• To skp this file, press ESC.

CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete and Windows XP may not work properly.

• To quit Setup, press F3

I tried the retry option several times on both, it failed every time. So used the ESC option to skip the file and continue with the install. I completed both steps of the install and removed the flashdrive and inserted it back into the machine it was formatted on.

These are the characteristics after installation:
7602 Files
187 Folders
811,129,730 bytes
advpack.mui and ieframe.mui are not present, but these files of similar name are:
G:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\IEFRAME.DL_
G:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\IEFRAME.MU_
G:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\ADVPACK.DL_
G:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\ADVPACK.MU_

They appear to be identical, so I would say no files are deleted.

So I decided to take a look around and see if I could find out what's going on. What I came up with this this:

IE7 Slipstream to SP3 - Missing advpack.mui and ieframe.mui

This is basically the same setup as my disk, but I go on to use NLite afterward to create an unattended ISO. So to make a long story short, I would have to agree with your original assessment that this is not an issue with WinSetupFromUSB. My guess would be that NLite is suppressing the error messages on install, which is disheartening. The next time I update my disk I will create an ISO in HFSLIP and test it before moving on to NLite.

Caspean

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Thanks for the details.

FYI - files are compressed, and extracted before copied to destination, that's why they end with _.

Another idea- Text part of setup attempts to delete them, but the USB stick is write-protected by entries in migrate.inf. At the same time setup is instructed to copy the same file to another destination right after the same file was attempted to be deleted. It could be timing issue.
This does not happen when installing from a CD since Setup would not attempt to delete the files in question.

If you move just the lines we commented out to the bottom of the same section [SourceDisksFiles] in txtsetup.sif, right below tempunat.inf=1,,,,,,,2,0,0 , uncommenting them, so Setup has some time before attempting to copy the same file for a second time, you may not get the error messages, hopefully.
Just an idea...

Still not sure if such duplicated lines should be present at first place.

You may also watch when the duplicated lines show up, after HFSlip or after using nLite.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

NT Man

NT Man

• 20 posts
  • Joined 22-December 08
Hello, with latest WinSetupFromUSB vers. 0.2.1 on eeePC 900 I have problem. When I try boot from flash drive, booted instead system from SSD. Version 0.1.1 don't have this problem. OS: Windows 2003 Server SP2

Edited by NT Man, 12 June 2009 - 03:40 PM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
This shouldn't have anything to do with the versions. The programs which format drive are external and never been changed.

Reformat the stick, try another stick, double check BIOS settings.

How large is the USB stick? What files system did you use to format it with? Using PEtoUSB or HP format utility? Did you format it at all?

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

John89596

John89596
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 13-June 09
Hi I have problem
The boot from usb flash drive is OK and run windows XP setup in notebook MSI wind u100
but when I try Delete Partition I have message : Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation.
What I need to do, to format drive in setup XP?

Edited by John89596, 13 June 2009 - 07:37 AM.

NT Man

NT Man

• 20 posts
  • Joined 22-December 08

This shouldn't have anything to do with the versions. The programs which format drive are external and never been changed.

It seems, there is no GRUB on stick.

Reformat the stick, try another stick, double check BIOS settings.

I try use two different stick, on both WinSetupFromUSB versions. On version 0.1.1 all right, but on version 2.1, I don't see grub menu.

How large is the USB stick? What files system did you use to format it with? Using PEtoUSB or HP format utility? Did you format it at all?

I use 1Gb and 8Gb stick's. Format with FAT and FAT32 and using both PEtoUSB and HP format utility.

What did i see:

First step: On eeePC I press Esc for call boot order menu.
Posted Image
Second step: I see second part (Windows boot menu) from stick. (no GRUB menu)
Posted Image

Edited by NT Man, 13 June 2009 - 07:38 AM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

Hi I have problem
The boot from usb flash drive is OK and run windows XP setup in notebook MSI wind u100
but when I try Delete Partition I have message : Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation.
What I need to do, to format drive in setup XP?

You may get PartedMagic and put it on the USB stick, delete all partitions and start Setup again.

Well, this is different that what you posted in your first post ;)
Is Windows 2003 what you run WSFUSB under, or what you put onto the USB stick?

Here is a link to pre 0.2.2, which has some checks if grub4dos BS is installed properly and if not- puts grub4dos MBR instead. Please try it and let me know the result. If still have problems- attach WinSetupFromUSB.log file found in program directory.

http://www.datafileh...d-adccfd78.html

NT Man

NT Man

• 20 posts
  • Joined 22-December 08
Posted Image
seems archive is broken, please reshare pre 0.2.2

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
A few fixes made to the program, here is 0-2-2pre2:
http://www.datafileh...d-3697ab94.html

edit: Downloaded and tested both archives and they were ok, just redownload the second one if you get again broken archive.

Edited by ilko_t, 13 June 2009 - 08:23 AM.

NT Man

NT Man

• 20 posts
  • Joined 22-December 08
grub4dos in MBR help me, thanks.

My log attached here: Attached File  WinSetupFromUSB.zip   85.82KB   6 downloads

Is Windows 2003 what you run WSFUSB under, or what you put onto the USB stick?

Both. I run WSFUSB under Windows 2003 and put distrib Windows 2003 onto the USB stick.

Edited by NT Man, 13 June 2009 - 09:44 AM.

John89596

John89596
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 13-June 09

You may get PartedMagic and put it on the USB stick, delete all partitions and start Setup again.

Thanks, I was thinking something wrong with usb flash drive XP setup.
but I not managed to run PartedMagic from usb flash drive
I format a hard drive with BartPE on usb flash drive.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
@NT Man

Lets check something if you don't mind, it seems grubinst fails on NTFS and Vista/7, maybe it doesn't like 2003 too...

Please open up CMD and cd to \winsetupfromusb\files\grub4dos\

Then run:
grubinst -v -l (hd3)

If that's the USB stick according to partition size then run:
grubinst -v (hd3,0)
I need the result of both commands.

Edited by ilko_t, 13 June 2009 - 09:54 AM.

NT Man

NT Man

• 20 posts
  • Joined 22-December 08

I need the result of both commands.

C:\WinSetup-0-2-2pre2\files\grub4dos>grubinst -v -l (hd3)
Partition list
# id base leng
0 0E 3F 1EBBC1 (983M)

C:\WinSetup-0-2-2pre2\files\grub4dos>grubinst -v (hd3,0)
Start sector: 0x3F
Image type: FAT12/FAT16
Install mode

C:\WinSetup-0-2-2pre2\files\grub4dos>

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Thanks, so 2003 is not affected.

NT Man

NT Man

• 20 posts
  • Joined 22-December 08
It seems there is still a problem

Now I can't boot without stick.
At each boot I see

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+ el to restart

Boot sector on SSD don't want updated. Rescue console couldn't help. FIXBOOT and FIXMBR no affect.

Edited by NT Man, 13 June 2009 - 11:31 AM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Did you delete all ( this means all, not all but one) partitions and create a single one on the SSD?
What file system did you format it in?
Do you have an option in BIOS "OS Installation"?

Also:

Using the 8/16GB SSD on the Eee 900

If you're installing on an Eee 900 and want to use the larger 8 or 16GB SSD, you'll want to disable the onboard 4GB SSD in the BIOS prior to installing Windows. Otherwise Windows will insist on writing its bootsector and files to the 4GB drive, possibly corrupting what is already there. Most guides on the subject assume you're using a desktop that you can swap master and slave drives on, or remove drives you don't want to affect - not so with the soldered 4GB SSD.

To disable the onboard SSD:

1. Hold F2 and turn on the Eee.
2. When the BIOS configuration screen appears, press right to switch to the “Advanced” tab.
3. Select “IDE Configuration”, and set the IDE Master to “None” instead of onboard SSD.
4. The 4GB SSD will still appear in the Windows Setup program (text portion), but you can safely ignore it - Windows will not attempt to place its bootsector there, and instead will keep everything self-contained on the 16GB SSD.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/windowsxpusb

NT Man

NT Man

• 20 posts
  • Joined 22-December 08

Did you delete all ( this means all, not all but one) partitions and create a single one on the SSD?

Yes. On my Eee-PC two SSD. First 4GB, have one partition, there I am installing Windows 2003. Second 16Gb, have one partition too, there I am store my data.

What file system did you format it in?

All partition's formated in NTFS.

Do you have an option in BIOS "OS Installation"?

Yes. This option during Windows 2003 installation is set to "Finished". But this option on my opinion affect only on USB mode. Where is set to "Start" USB controller work as USB 1.1 (operation's with stick are very slow), where is set to "Finished" USB controller work as USB 2.0.

When I try fix boot with Windows restore console I try set this option at both position.

Unfortunately, I never understood what it was, but Paragon Hard Disk Manager fix it, and now Windows 2003 boot properly without stick.
Unclear why FIXMBR not help, nor fdisk / cmbr x

Edited by NT Man, 13 June 2009 - 03:00 PM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Glad you have all this sorted :)

nForce4

nForce4

• 19 posts
  • Joined 21-July 08
hi guys ! i have a little small problem with WinSetupFromUSB 0.2 which i don't know how to solve it . i have searched for answers on forum but i couldn't find something :|
i use a 250 GB external HDD which is partitioned on 3 , first has 5 GB , and the rest up to 250 .. all work like a charm , the only problem is if i install XP from it , Windows sees it as a removable drive and i can't access the other two partitions , only the first one. :blink: it's happening only at me or it's a bug ? tried with hitachi microfilter but still doesn't work..

nForce :)

Edited by nForce4, 13 June 2009 - 05:28 PM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Is it like this after you reboot the newly installed Windows? The responsible driver is supposed to stop after first restart.

Sergo

Sergo

• 23 posts
  • Joined 22-September 05
Hi, ilko_t & Co.

Do you offically support booting from SD card readers?
I had a Dell with multi-card reader and WSfromUSB saw all extra drives.
At home I had just simple SDHC card reader (from Ledshoppe) and WSFUSB doesn even show it?

BUT, hp format utility works fine, and MS DOS boots fine from it.

Edited by Sergo, 14 June 2009 - 09:34 AM.

=================
Best regards,
Sergo.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
You may try, however, you may need to play with boot.ini entries (rdisk(N) values) if during Text mode the card reader drives shift down the internal disk.

At home I had just simple SDHC card reader (from Ledshoppe) and WSFUSB doesn even show it?

Was the inserted card properly formatted, with MBR and active partition?

Sergo

Sergo

• 23 posts
  • Joined 22-September 05

You may try, however, you may need to play with boot.ini entries (rdisk(N) values) if during Text mode the card reader drives shift down the internal disk.

Was the inserted card properly formatted, with MBR and active partition?

Maybe you didn't understand my question.
It was preformatted with FAT32 but
wasn't even visible in USB Disk Selection dropdown list.
HP format utily saw it fine.
After I formatted with it outside of WSFUSB, and run WSFUSB again it saw it.

Edited by Sergo, 14 June 2009 - 01:42 PM.

=================
Best regards,
Sergo.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

...It was preformatted with FAT32 but
wasn't even visible in USB Disk Selection dropdown list.
HP format utily saw it fine.
After I formatted with it outside of WSFUSB, and run WSFUSB again it saw it.

WSFUSB will not show USB disks which do not have a MBR and an active partition set. Since it showed after reformat with HP tool this means the first time it was not formatted properly.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,393 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

It was preformatted with FAT32 but

...not partitioned and with a MBR. :ph34r:

Here comes the first GUI for our little project.

Some features:
- grub4dos is the main bootloader/manager. Without it's advanced features, multiple partitions will not be easily achieved.
Bootsector loading GRLDR is installed in the active partition of the selected disk. Hence the requirement for active partition and MBR.

Please read the included ReadMe.txt and \Docs\HOW-TOs.txt, it should help you get started. When in doubt hold the mouse over the element, a tooltip should help you with the choice.

How to start-
1. First make sure you have a properly formatted USB disk or flash media.
It must have MBR and active partition set.

a) USB flash media- format it with PEtoUSB in FAT16 or FAT16x (LBA checked) for partitions up to 2GB. This will preserve all partition information.
If your media is above 2GB you will have to use FAT32- use HP USB disk format tool. Note that it will DELETE all partitions and create a single one, occupying the whole disk. NTFS is reported faster on some systems, your USB stick parameters are also factor. Whereas NTFS generally is not recommended for USB flash media, if you are not planning excessive usage, but rather occasional installs from it, then it should be safe to use it as long as you can boot from it.

There is another way to format USB flash media- to use filter driver, such as Hitachi microdrive filter driver or dummydisk.sys (included, look in FILES\MULTIpartitionUSBstick folder). Using such driver will 'make' your stick to appear to Windows as fixed disk. In this case, when formatting Windows will write MBR on in with partition information.
You may now use Disk management console, or third party programs to make multiple partitions and format them as you desire.
Usually NTFS performs way faster on some systems, or with some USB sticks. However, keep in mind that depending on usage and USB stick quality, it may "wear it out" quicker.
!!!Make sure you set an active partition, either from Disk management, or from your favourite external program.!!!
!!!Use primary partitions when placing Windows based sources!!!
!!!Usew first partition when copying Windows Setup!!!

Setup Windows XP/2000/2003
==========================
1. Insert your USB disk and run the program
2. Select the folder with your Windows source files
3. If your USB disk is not displayed make sure it's formatted and has MBR and an active partition.

:whistle:

jaclaz

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN