Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

• Please log in to reply
2120 replies to this topic

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
What didn't work? :unsure:
Wrong topic?

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

wivelden

wivelden

• 17 posts
  • Joined 10-December 08
I added Vista to the USB flash drive after already adding 3 versions of XP but when I boot to it....it loads the bootmgr instead of grub so I had to take Vista off so it would load the menu to install the XP versions.

steve6375

steve6375

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-November 04

Also 1 more question --

if I use RMPREPUSB, lets say, would using C:\WINXPCD under "Choose Folder; Copy files from here after preparing USB drive" do the full job or should I run WinSetupFromUSB_0-2-2 (without formatting) to get to the bootable USB?

Also, I checked "Boot as HDD" option in RMPREPUSB but got a notice that "This device is classed as USB_ZIP <Removable Disk>. Not like I mind but it matters for the BIOS settings probably... ?

Evidence attached.

And what is that 2-nd hidden partition? Why do I have it & am I supposed to have it with so many formattings... [this one is not Micro Center that I am torturing too].

RMPrepUSB will clean, partition and format a USB stick and then if you have the tick box selected, copy the folder you have specified to the USB stick.
The 'This device is classed as USB-ZIP' means that of the three types of USB writeable mass storage devices (USB-FDD, USB-ZIP and USB-HDD) your USB stick is classed as USB-ZIP / Removable Drive. A USB Hard disk would appear as USB-HDD (Fixed Disk). Most USB sticks appear as Removeable.

If you run a utility like BootIt.exe and use the 'Flip Removable Bit' button - then unplug and re-plug - it may change your USB stick to a USB-HDD device. If it works (and I have only see it work on Netac and Lexar USB sticks so far) then the USB stick will appear as a USB-HDD. If you can get this to work then you will have a much better chance of getting any BIOS to treat the USB stick as a hard disk.

The 2PTN switch is to add an extra tiny hidden ptn which helps some BIOSes to treat the USB stick as a hard disk (USB-HDD) and not a USB-ZIP.

XP, WinPE and Vista need to boot from a hard disk or a CD. These OS's think that any device that has a normal MBR + ptn table is a hard disk (if it is accessed by the BIOS using Int 13h DL=80h which is used for hard disk access). The problem is that some BIOSes map a USB stick as a super-floppy (USB-ZIP) and these don't have an MBR once the BIOS boots to them as the BIOS returned the Volume Boot Record when the MBR (block 0) is requested - ie the BIOS is trying to fool any OS that is on the USB stick into thinking it is a floppy. Also, they are accessed via Int 13h DL=0 which is used to access floppy disk devices, so the OS will not see a hard disk unless you also have a real hard disk attached. Hint: Always have a real hard disk attached when you are testing USB bootable sticks as you can get unpredictable results if the OS sees no hard disk at all in the system even if you can fool it into booting from a USB stick.

A way to test if the BIOS is 'converting' the USB stick to a USB-ZIP super-floppy is prepare using RMPrepUSB to put MS-DOS on the USB stick (no config.sys or autoexec.bat). If the prompt is C:> then the BIOS is booting it as a hard disk. If the prompt is A:> then the BIOS is booting it as a floppy disk. Try different BIOS settings and RMPrepUSB settings until you can get the C:> prompt. Experiment with FAT16 and FAT32 and NTFS.

I have found that some BIOSes completely ignore any USB stick that is over 512MB in size - for this reason I would recommend a Lexar or Netac 512MB USB stick for all trials.

So set BIOS to 'Fixed disk' not Auto or 'Removable' - use RMPrepUSB with 2PTN switch and FAT32 (also try FAT16 and NTFS if that does not work).

Another tip - if it seems to try to boot but fails - try setting the USB speed in the BIOS to low speed - I have seen this work on a few BIOSes (slow but at least it boots).
Once you have a successful but slow boot - change the BIOS setting back to fastest speed (480mbs) and see if it still boots.

HTH
Steve

Edited by steve6375, 27 June 2009 - 11:16 AM.

Visit www.rmprepusb.com for RMPrepUSB, the new Easy2Boot multiboot USB solution and 100+ tutorials on booting from USB drives.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

...Latest- vers. 0.2.2 - 15.June.2009
Download: 0.2.2 mirror...

Welcome to the forum :)
Please avoid needless quoting, especially of lengthy posts.

And your question is?

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

wivelden

wivelden

• 17 posts
  • Joined 10-December 08
I have read about the different options you can use for the menu like colors etc. It says you can add a different color for each title but I cannot get it to work.
I can set the overall menu colors etc but I wanted to have the highlight text colors different i.e green for Home edition and Blue for Pro.
It says to add it color under title but it doesnt work.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
I am not sure colors could be changed per menu entry.

In any case you need to post in another topic your menu.lst, otherwise how one could guess what you have tried?!

wivelden

wivelden

• 17 posts
  • Joined 10-December 08
Ok...one final question regarding this program.
Do you know what files Windows x64 deletes after setup from the flash drive? Is it too many to list and will require a resync or is it just a few I can replace manually?

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
It is too many to list, basically the most of the compressed files (filename.ex_, filename.dl_ etc.) which are copied during Text mode part.

lucnex

lucnex
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-July 09
Hey,

I have tried reading everything, but it is just too much information and mostly stuff I have no interest in. I have downloaded the WinSetup and succesfully installed XP to my USB Key. However, I am having some trouble installing it on certain computers. I have a Dell Latitude D600 which works fine and installs perfectly. However, I am trying to install XP on an optiplex gx620. I can load Grub4dos and launch the first step fine.
However once the setup loads the drivers and shows "Setup is Starting Windows" it basically shuts down and gives me blue screen

My error reads the classic a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down.

the technical error is

Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7A57524, 0xC0000034, ox00000000, 0x00000000)

No idea what any of that means since im a noob!

Suggestions?!

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Dells are known troublemakers, have at look at the FAQs thread, Q3/A3:
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=116766

lucnex

lucnex
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-July 09
Do i need to burn the .ISO to a disk or can I just choose that ISO as my source?

baritone

baritone

• 35 posts
  • Joined 02-December 04
why cant you runs syslinux on a ntfs flashdrive???
i tried it with kubuntu and manual added the info to menu.lst and it worked great.
can i use a external 2.5 drive with this or only flashdrive
what do you think about the ocz rally2 16gb drive?????

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

Do i need to burn the .ISO to a disk or can I just choose that ISO as my source?

You may extract the ISO somewhere rather than burning it. 7z from http://www.7-zip.org/ is a great tool, supporting ISO format too.
Other way around is to mount the ISO- the freeware ImDisk is perfect for the purpose.
http://www.ltr-data....ode.html#ImDisk

why cant you runs syslinux on a ntfs flashdrive???
i tried it with kubuntu and manual added the info to menu.lst and it worked great.
can i use a external 2.5 drive with this or only flashdrive
what do you think about the ocz rally2 16gb drive?????

Because syslinux.exe, used to save syslinux bootsector as a file, which can be chainloaded by grub4dos doesn't seem to like NTFS, using the latest 3.82:

C:\WinSetup\temp1>syslinux.exe -rf h: syslin.dat
this doesn't look like a valid FAT filesystem

C:\WinSetup\temp1>

Not sure how and where you installed syslinux, maybe more details could help ;)

You can use external USB disk, but x64 versions of XP and 2003, as well as 32bit 2003 cannot be installed using this program, not without some manual interventions during setup.

what do you think about the ocz rally2 16gb drive

Cannot help here.

kensuguro

kensuguro
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 04-July 09
How do I control whether the resulting USB loads menu.lst or boot.ini? I installed XP on my MSI wind, and the install finished, but I nlited it wrong and the installation is unusable. I created another bootable USB, and now I only see the menu from boot.ini, and can't get back to the first part.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Have a look at this thread:
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=135202

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Version 0.2.3 released.
Please refer to the first post for download links.

voidseesaw

voidseesaw
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 11-July 08
This is the greatest thing ever. I'm wondering why more programmers or companies have not embraced this concept yet? There are so many possibilities...

Jouven

Jouven
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05
I don't know if it is already notified, but I've got an 2,5" HD 500gb hard disk in a 2,5" case. I did two (primary) partitions one of 16GB and another partition with the rest of the space for data (so in computer management --> disk management the disk is recognized as a basic disk).
I used a nlite source and created, with the winsetupfromusb, an installation in the first partition of the disk, booted from the usb and all the installation went fine, first boot, second boot... all fine. Then it happens that this installation of windows xp recognizes this disk as removable media (my latop, work computer still recognize it as a basic disk) so the second partition dissapears (only for this windows xp installation) and there is no way AFAIK to change it. In the end I reinstalled using the normal nlited CD installation (wich recognizes the HD as a basic disk).

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,576 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Then it happens that this installation of windows xp recognizes this disk as removable media (my latop, work computer still recognize it as a basic disk) so the second partition dissapears (only for this windows xp installation) and there is no way AFAIK to change it. In the end I reinstalled using the normal nlited CD installation (wich recognizes the HD as a basic disk).

Most probably the "reversed" dummydisk.sys remained as a leftover. :unsure:

On next occasion, check whether rdummy.sys is installed.

Or did you NOT re-boot?

It should get disabled at the first re-boot after install has finished:
http://www.msfn.org/...o...1384&st=421

jaclaz

Jouven

Jouven
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05

Most probably the "reversed" dummydisk.sys remained as a leftover. :unsure:

On next occasion, check whether rdummy.sys is installed.

Or did you NOT re-boot?

It should get disabled at the first re-boot after install has finished:
http://www.msfn.org/...o...1384&st=421

jaclaz

I did reboot many times (because after the installation I tried many things so solve it) but still remained as a removable media (if you mean that by "Or did you NOT re-boot?").

For disabled you mean deleted or...?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,576 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

For disabled you mean deleted or...?

No, I mean disabled, i.e. with a START value in Registry of 4.
http://support.micro...kb/158995/en-us

Value Name: Start
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 3 (Default: 2)

(Data values are 0 = Boot, 1 = System, 2 = Automatic, 3 = Manual, 4 = Disabled)

jaclaz

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
In such cases WinSetupFromUSB adds a line to winnt.sif GUIRunOnce section:
"sc delete rdummy"
Do you have this line in ~BT\winnt.sif ?

Was the first login with an admin account?

I wonder where this has failed...

Jouven

Jouven
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05

Was the first login with an admin account?

It was.

darklord

darklord
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 13-July 09
Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new to the whole formatting laptops via USB thing I've been trying to format my MSI Wind with little success, I've used WinSetupFromUSB. It all installs to the USB drive fine, and when I use the test in QEMU it works fine, however when I connect it to the Wind it starts to work it get past the press F6 for Raid drivers then fails with a blue screen 0x0000007B error.

The FAQ's have this to say about the error,

Q3: I get BSOD 0x0000007B during text mode of Setup.
A3: On some motherboards USB booting is tricky, common example are many Dell systems. Try using a modified NTDETECT.COM as mentioned here:
http://www.msfn.org/...009#entry738009
Another reason could be missing mass storage driver. Make sure you have it, or integrate BTS mass storage driver pack in your source. This must be done AFTER Nlite.

I've modified my NTdetect.com (correctly I believe, the file size is perfect anyhow) I'm really struggling with the mass storage driver though. I've not used Nlite either leaving me somewhat puzzled!

I have the USB drive set to Boot option #1 [USB HardDisk]

Can anyone point me towards what I need to do to get it working? :)

Cheers,

Daniel.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,576 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Can anyone point me towards what I need to do to get it working? :)

From what you report I may only guess:
  • that the MSI Wind needs a proprietary driver for Mass Storage Devices (does it have a SATA disk?)
  • that you haven't integrated in the Source the appropriate Masss Storage Device Driver

The BTS is a pre-packaged set of drivers that cover most hardware:
http://driverpacks.net/

it's up to you to:
  • find out whether it includes the appropriate driver for your hardware
  • decide whether using it (thus adding support to a vast amount of hardware but "fattening" the install source or if you just want to "plainly integrate" just the needed driver

On the other hand, you may try to follow this "specific MSI WIND" step by step tutorial (for the part regarding preparing the source):
http://forums.msiwin...post-t1337.html
and later either use the "other" method:
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=111406
(illustrated in the tutorial)
or use this WinsetupFromUSB with GUI

jaclaz

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users