Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

• Please log in to reply
2120 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,572 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Split a post about installing Windows 2000 to a new thread:
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=141678

@fatihunaldi
I don't understand your question, can you try to explain it more? :unsure:

There is no particualr problem with .iso size that I know of.

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Split the posts about virus in XP_INST_v04.7z in a new thread:
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=141734

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Version 1.0 beta5 released, please refer to the first post for list of changes and download links.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

baritone

baritone

• 35 posts
  • Joined 02-December 04
when i use the program to add my win7 or vista. when i boot from usb into the installer it will ask for drivers to see hard drive but if i use the dvd it works fine. theres no extra drivers on the dvd. what can i do.

dmtelf

dmtelf
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 01-March 10
Thank you for this excellent tool!

I have managed to make a colossal mistake as I idiotically had the wrong drive selected (an external 320Gb NTFS 1 partition Toshiba HD) instead of a Cruzer 4Gb USB stick when I used BOOTICE to do a repartition + format to USB-HDD mode. :o :realmad:

About 5 seconds after I started the format, I realised to my horror what I had done and frantically pulled out the USB HD cable while the program was running.

I only have myself to blame to for this error. Most unfortunately, this drive has many many gigabytes of irreplacable non-backed up personal stuff on it.

Now as a result of my cockup, the drive does not have any recognisable partitions - Windows now won't find or recognise any partitions on it, nor will 2 commercial recovery tools I've tried, Acronis RecoveryExpert Deluxe & Active Undelete. If I try to go into it via Explorer, it thinks the drive is not formatted.

Before I go have a nervous breakdown when it fully sinks in just how much data there was on that one drive, I thought I'd ask here in the forlorn hope that someone out there might have some words of advice, even if its confirmation there's definitely nothing I can do now..?

Thanks.

DMTelf

Edited by dmtelf, 01 March 2010 - 06:14 PM.

wrenashe

wrenashe
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 02-March 10
Good job, dude~~~~

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,572 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Before I go have a nervous breakdown when it fully sinks in just how much data there was on that one drive, I thought I'd ask here in the forlorn hope that someone out there might have some words of advice, even if its confirmation there's definitely nothing I can do now..?

Before I have a nervous break down ;), let's assume that you didn't post here and opened an "assistance ticket" here:
http://www.boot-land...topic=10571&hl=

where you will hopefully be helped.

jaclaz

daddy_fizz

daddy_fizz

• 13 posts
  • Joined 31-August 09
http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__835393

Have been playing with WinSetupFromUSB for a while worked ok so far, even on laptop.
But hit a snag today with Dell Optiplex 755 (ICH9)
with all drivers integrated (same install for on Dell E6400,also intel chipset)
I got a bSOD 0x7B only when boot from USB (when 32 bit setup starts)
booting the same image from CD is OK.

It seems setup considers USB drive a boot device but can't find a 32 bit driver for it?

Edit: Also tested on external USB hard drive - same result.

Any other ideas on this one? I have switched out the ntdetect.com for the modified one, and also used the mass storage driver pack. I have a Dell E6400 that hangs after "setup is starting windows" on a black screen. When I tried it on some othe rmachines (Optiplex 620, 745) it would get error 7B now with those changes all other machines work ok ECXEPT the E6400. I assume its BSOD 7B? But it just hangs at a black screen after "setup is starting windows" during txt setup.

Thanks for your help

~Fizz

//edit: Also tried hard drive in ATA, AHCI, IRRT modes...

Edited by daddy_fizz, 02 March 2010 - 02:46 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,572 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Any other ideas on this one? I have switched out the ntdetect.com for the modified one, and also used the mass storage driver pack. I have a Dell E6400 that hangs after "setup is starting windows" on a black screen. When I tried it on some othe rmachines (Optiplex 620, 745) it would get error 7B now with those changes all other machines work ok ECXEPT the E6400. I assume its BSOD 7B? But it just hangs at a black screen after "setup is starting windows" during txt setup.

The general idea of a BLUE Screen of Death is that it should be blue. ;)

And, if it is a 0x0000007b it will have 0x0000007b displayed in white on it.

So, no, if it is a black hanging screen it is a BHS :w00t: (Black Hanging Screen) and is not a BSOD. :whistle:

It reminds me more of a timing problem of some kind or a problem/conflict with loading a driver than anything else, maybe you should try on that machine to make a USB stick WITHOUT the whole mass of the driverpacks, adding only, if needed, the single mass storage driver that machine needs.

It is also possible that that stoopid machine, being a DELL :ph34r: has one of those pesky BIOSes that have appeared lately to e incomaptibloe with a good half of "advanced" booting programs/techniques, there are a lot of reports lately of grub4dos freezing on DELL machines, though if you get up to "setup is starting windows" it shouldn't be the problem.

Another semi-random attempt may be that of using PLoP as an intermediate bootloader, reloading from it the USB device:
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

Do BOTH 0.2.3 and Beta 1.0.x behave the same? :unsure:

The two versions use a different approach....

jaclaz

daddy_fizz

daddy_fizz

• 13 posts
  • Joined 31-August 09

The general idea of a BLUE Screen of Death is that it should be blue. ;)

And, if it is a 0x0000007b it will have 0x0000007b displayed in white on it.

So, no, if it is a black hanging screen it is a BHS :w00t: (Black Hanging Screen) and is not a BSOD. :whistle:

It reminds me more of a timing problem of some kind or a problem/conflict with loading a driver than anything else, maybe you should try on that machine to make a USB stick WITHOUT the whole mass of the driverpacks, adding only, if needed, the single mass storage driver that machine needs.

It is also possible that that stoopid machine, being a DELL :ph34r: has one of those pesky BIOSes that have appeared lately to e incomaptibloe with a good half of "advanced" booting programs/techniques, there are a lot of reports lately of grub4dos freezing on DELL machines, though if you get up to "setup is starting windows" it shouldn't be the problem.

Another semi-random attempt may be that of using PLoP as an intermediate bootloader, reloading from it the USB device:
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

Do BOTH 0.2.3 and Beta 1.0.x behave the same? :unsure:

The two versions use a different approach....

jaclaz

Jaclaz-

Thanks for the help, I will try out some of your suggestions. I have only tried with 1.0b4 and b5 but not 0.2.3. I tried using Plop to boot from USB, but it seems to hang loading up Grub4dos (CMain loading...???). I will also try with just the E6400 driver and not the driverpack...

Thanks for your help

Fizz

baritone

baritone

• 35 posts
  • Joined 02-December 04
when i use the program to add my win7 or vista. when i boot from usb into the installer it will ask for drivers to see hard drive but if i use the dvd it works fine. theres no extra drivers on the dvd. what can i do.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Please do not double post. Your first thread is visible enough and if there is someone willing and able to answer, you will get it in that thread.

reggaemanu

reggaemanu
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 28-February 10
Hi,

First I have to thank you for this great tool ! I use 0.2.3 version without any problem.
I just wanted to give a try to 1.0beta5 version few days ago but unfortunately I encountered a problem with charset.

I'm French and wanted to make a bootable usb windows xp installation (like I did with 0.2.3 version).
Winsetup create a directory and an iso file with the name of windows version (WindowsXPÉdition**** in French edition case) but the "É" isn't recognized so directory and iso's name have strange chars instead of it and then the bootloader doesn't find them.

Keep the good work !

kael

kael
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 08-March 10
Hello all. And first - thanks for that great program.
I have a question. As I understood, in file winsetup.lst
a line-command chainloader (hd0,0)/$WIN_NT$.~BT/SETUPLDR.BIN
loads a windows install. But using the same way, programs are not running. acronis partition or other.for example:
chainloader (hd0,0)/$WIN_NT$.~BT/ACRONIS.BIN or (hd0,0)/PROG/PASSWORDRESETS.BIN

did anyone try? I mean if one use CD with utilities like a windows sourse, there's no autorun, utilities:windows only. how to add programs? Or this WinSetupFromUSB only for work with OS?

used WinSetupFromUSB v3.2.12.1

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
You my learn about grub4dos here:
http://diddy.boot-la...os/Grub4dos.htm
http://www.boot-land...hp?showforum=66

The included in \files\grub4dos\README_GRUB4DOS.txt also has number of examples.

NikLok

NikLok

• 18 posts
  • Joined 23-June 05
may be add for each system field and button for finalized aсtion's after copy system to the flash drive&

kael

kael
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 08-March 10
fine. i think you should add this link with manual to comment #1 )))

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

may be add for each system field and button for finalized aсtion's after copy system to the flash drive&

What do you mean, can you elaborate a bit?

n7863h

n7863h
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 24-February 10
Thank you for the excellent program

Line 7499
Error: subscript used witch non-array variable.

Windows 7

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

Thank you for the excellent program

Line 7499
Error: subscript used witch non-array variable.

Windows 7

Please post the log file either from program directory or by checking "show log" checkbox and copy-pasting whatever is inside.

NikLok

NikLok

• 18 posts
  • Joined 23-June 05

For example. After installing distributivs of WinXp to flash i need make some ntfs links on the flash.
I have common folder with name "_soft_" for some various OS-es, which contain software for installing.
Teh directory _soft_ must be present in WinXP/$OEM$/$1, Win7, ..... and simple in root of flash drive.

And than i need copy some files to flash.

When the source code of your nice script will be availible, i will make it.

With regards!

Edited by NikLok, 19 March 2010 - 03:14 AM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

For example. After installing distributivs of WinXp to flash i need make some ntfs links on the flash.
I have common folder with name "_soft_" for some various OS-es, which contain software for installing.
Teh directory _soft_ must be present in WinXP/$OEM$/$1, Win7, ..... and simple in root of flash drive.

And than i need copy some files to flash.

When the source code of your nice script will be availible, i will make it.

With regards!

Why this has to be automated and performed by the program? It seems specific to your needs task. And what's the problem to perform manually these actions, once the program finished its job?

NT Man

NT Man

• 20 posts
  • Joined 22-December 08
Great utitity...
Not enough ability to add multiple identical Windows (eg Windows XP & Windows 2003, or Windows 2008 & Windows 7), and several Linux systems (eg Ubuntu & CentOS) simultaneously.

Edited by NT Man, 22 March 2010 - 11:32 AM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

What it can be used for adding to your USB stick/disk:

- multiple Windows XP/2kX sources in the same partition (up to 10 99 with vers. 1.0). They have to be in the first(no longer applies to 1.0 versions) any primary partition of the USB disk if hard disk type. If USB stick- Windows will not see any other partitions, but the first one, so you are restricted to it anyway.
- Vista/Windows 7/Server 2008 setup to different primary partitions. Multiple Vista sources in the SAME partition are NOT supported. Place your second Vista/7/Server 2008 setup in another partition. It can be placed on any primary partition.
- PartedMagic, a friendly Linux distro, which includes GParted- open source partition manager.
- Other grub4dos CD emulation compatible ISO. Refer to this topic for list of examples:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5041
- SyLinux bootsector as a file, and optionally a directory, containing (Linux) distro booting off SysLinux. For example you may extract UBCD411.ISO, and point it to this folder. Entire contents will be copied and entry for SysLinux bootsector file will be added to the grub4dos boot menu.

In latest 1.0 beta 5 and 6 you can add all Ubuntu desktop variants- 8.04 till 9.10, Kubuntu, Xubuntu...
Up to 99 Windows 2000/XP/2003 sources.
Several Windows 7/Vista setups in different primary partitions.
Basically unlimited number of Linux variants, manually added to stick and loaded by grub4dos or syslinux.

Whatever can be easily automated and there was interest in it is already implemented, for the rest some manual work is needed, just ask how ;)

karnox

karnox
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 22-March 10
hi guys,
thanks for all your works !

I follow the thread and program since a long time , but i've a new problem ( beta 1.6 ):
i'm french ( it's not the problem :P ) and on my usb key, i want integrate WinXP home(sp2 FR) .
The new method for transfert the datas create an iso and copy other file in a directory with same iso'name.
The real problem is a wrong letter in the iso name : WindowsXP�""ditionfamilialeSP2.ISO in winsetup.lst where "" is au litle cube in windows explorer, and a 'maj' "é" in grub.
So when i "force" the boot with changing iso name -> wxphsp3.iso for example and the entry in winsetup.lst i've a litle charging time and an error message " don't found WindowsXP�""ditionfamilialeSP2\i386 ..."

Now, how to change the path search file or any other solution ? plz.

thanks.

ps; i post a part of my winsetupfromusb.log -> LOG

edit: a screenshot from the directory in win explorer ->screen

Edited by karnox, 22 March 2010 - 03:27 PM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

Baidu (1)