Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

• Please log in to reply
2116 replies to this topic

ctp9

ctp9

• 24 posts
@mihaipricop82:
I see that now - I think that the modification in setup.cmd could work for me too... I will give it a try sometime soon and will report back.

Edited by ctp9, 21 January 2011 - 08:57 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
@mihaipricop82
Thanks, good to know. This is workaround, many people will get scared of that window and may even close it, just out of curiosity, can't make it permanent solution.
It'd be nice to know what the true reason is behind this behaviour. You have attached txtsetup.sif from your source folder, I need the one in the small ISO file in \WINSETUP folder. Can you zip and attach it?
What hardware are you playing on?

@ctp9
CD/DVD setup differs from USB, there are cheats, there are workarounds, there are external programs to help. Microsoft never supported install from USB for NT5 family, nor the setup process is well documented and customizable in this light. Even Vista/7 family using Microsoft own tool experience troubles when installing from USB, although USB setup apparently has been kept in mind.

Anyway, there is something in nLite which breaks the whole game, clean source works, remember? You'd have to figure out what that is. My wild guess is one or more of the following:
-Removable Storage service
-Secure Digital host controller
-Smart Cards
-Command-line tools

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

DrunkElf

DrunkElf
  • 3 posts
Greetings from Greeece...

I'm trying to install windows in an hp mini 2140 with the winsetupfromusb ... I have followed the instructions and everything works perfectly until i go to the second part of the windows installation(the second time i boot from usb and select second part of windows xp home edition installation)...
None of the choises i get seems to work ...
The first gives me the missing hal.dll error and all the others a microsoft problem saying in greek that "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."
Any ideas what might be happening..??? i do not know if it helps but when i boot from usb i get a blink which says Try hd(0,0) : fat32 for half a sec and then the grub4dos application starts.
The hp has 1 hard drive which at the first step i completely delete from partitions and format in ntfs ... if i run the first step again i get a c: partition which is all of the hard drive(152617MB and 8 MB unpartitioned space) and a d: which is the usb(3828MB and 0MB unpartitioned space...)
The cd i'm using is the greek operating system cd that came with hp mini 2140...

Thank you in advance...

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
Can you post contents of boot.ini on the USB stick root?

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

DrunkElf

DrunkElf
  • 3 posts

Can you post contents of boot.ini on the USB stick root?

this is the contents of the BOOT.INI file

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Home Edition setup from hd 0 part 1" /FASTDETECT
c:\="-------------------------"
c:\="Try entries below if getting HAL.DLL/NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors"
c:\="--------------------------"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 2" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 3" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 4" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 2" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 3" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 4" /FASTDETECT

this is the contents of the BOOT.101 file

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Home Edition setup from hd 0 part 1" /FASTDETECT
c:\="-------------------------"
c:\="Try entries below if getting HAL.DLL/NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors"
c:\="--------------------------"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 2" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 3" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 4" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 2" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 3" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 4" /FASTDETECT

hope it helps...

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
Delete BOOT.INI, rename BOOT.101 to BOOT.INI and try again.

Have you ever used this stick for another installation? What version of the program do you use? Are those file from the USB stick? :blink:

And BTW, you'd better be using the latest versions, 1.0 beta7 currently.

DrunkElf

DrunkElf
  • 3 posts

Delete BOOT.INI, rename BOOT.101 to BOOT.INI and try again.

Have you ever used this stick for another installation? What version of the program do you use? Are those file from the USB stick? :blink:

And BTW, you'd better be using the latest versions, 1.0 beta7 currently.

worked liked a charm... thanks... very helpful stuff and great application... i might have used 4 different software saying they do the same thing but yours is the best...
Keep up the good work...

cdob

cdob

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Althought it appears a little dos windows during install It works very well this time witthat line

Strange: why was a new drive letter created?

Can you try another one

rem start /min "USB keep mounted work arround, do NOT close!" pushd %CDDRIVE%
rem pwd %SystemRoot%\system32
start /b "USB keep drive letter work arround." pushd %CDDRIVE%
rem pwd %SystemRoot%\system32 still

Addional cmd.exe is run within first hidden console.

And another one more, remark above start line and set

:startXP
FOR /F "tokens=1-2*" %%a IN ('reg.exe query "HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup" /v "CmdLine"') DO set CmdLine=%%c
IF "%CmdLine:~-2%"=="\0" set CmdLine=%CmdLine:~0,-2%
echo run setup CmdLine: %CmdLine% - %date% %time%
echo run setup CmdLine: %CmdLine% - %date% %time% >> %SystemRoot%\winsetup.log
pushd %CDDRIVE%
start /WAIT %SystemRoot%\system32\%CmdLine%
goto :eof

:start2000
echo reg.exe not found, launching "start /WAIT setup.exe -newsetup"
echo reg.exe not found, launching "start /WAIT setup.exe -newsetup" >> %SystemRoot%\winsetup.log
pushd %CDDRIVE%
start /WAIT %SystemRoot%\system32\setup.exe -newsetup
goto :eof

uvioc

uvioc
  • 1 posts
Hi, great programme. Trying to install XP on a Samsung NC10 which has an existing install but has recently caught a pretty terminal virus (Win32/VBS Ramnit). Following this guide and using version v0.2.3 I think I successfully made a bootable USB, and all was going well until during the normal blue XP setup screens, I received this message: 'No previous version of Windows NT could be found on your computer. Setup is unable to verify that you qualify to use this upgrade product. Press F3 to exit.' I can only assume that this is due to the fact that the XP Home disc used to make the USB is an upgrade (genuine). But I have never had this issue before in the dozens of times I've used it. Is there any way around this?

This is really frustrating - I have the genuine disc and key but am unable to install! Until I can sort it my NC10 is kaput.

Any advice appreciated.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
Please read in your source (~LS\I386\EULA.TXT) and only if you agree with the terms put this in ~BT\winnt.sif, data section:

EulaComplete="1"

drakuxxx

drakuxxx
  • 8 posts
Hi,
I've tried to install the xp from stick, on a Dell notebook, and when i get to the part where i have to specify the partition to install the windows, there is no partition except the usb stick. I just have formatted the stick and then just added the files on it, without doing anything else from other menus like, bootice or rmprepusb. Should I have to do something else before to be able to see all the partition of the harddisk?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,019 posts

Hi,
I've tried to install the xp from stick, on a Dell notebook, and when i get to the part where i have to specify the partition to install the windows, there is no partition except the usb stick. I just have formatted the stick and then just added the files on it, without doing anything else from other menus like, bootice or rmprepusb. Should I have to do something else before to be able to see all the partition of the harddisk?

Have you integrated the SATA drivers for that Dell (if it has a SATA disk)?

jaclaz

drakuxxx

drakuxxx
  • 8 posts

Hi,

Have you integrated the SATA drivers for that Dell (if it has a SATA disk)?

jaclaz

no i didn't. Is there an option on the program to do that?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,019 posts

No. :no:

The general idea is that you have a valid source as .iso and the programs "transforms" it for USB usage.
If the source misses the drivers, the target also will. (there are other ways/utiluties/whatever to do this)

If you are making a "specific DELL (model xy)" USB stick, ONLY meant to install windows XP on the given make/model, you just integrate the specific drivers, otherwise you integrate the Mass Storage section of the BTS driverpacks:
http://driverpacks.net/
http://driverpacks.n...uide-windows-xp
(BASE+Mass Storage) so that you will cover most (if not all) common hardware.

jaclaz

drakuxxx

drakuxxx
  • 8 posts

No. :no:

The general idea is that you have a valid source as .iso and the programs "transforms" it for USB usage.
If the source misses the drivers, the target also will. (there are other ways/utiluties/whatever to do this)

If you are making a "specific DELL (model xy)" USB stick, ONLY meant to install windows XP on the given make/model, you just integrate the specific drivers, otherwise you integrate the Mass Storage section of the BTS driverpacks:
http://driverpacks.net/
http://driverpacks.n...uide-windows-xp
(BASE+Mass Storage) so that you will cover most (if not all) common hardware.

jaclaz

thank you for the help. this was really helpful. also thanks for the links, i think i can manage them now.

sand2011

sand2011
  • 3 posts
Firstly thankyou to all those who have contributed to this app.

This is to install windows xp pro sp3.
When I try and load \I386 it cannot find "txtsetup.sif" even though I can view txtsetup.sif in the folder in windows explorer. I have tried it on multiple iso versions, using winsetup beta7 and beta6 and it still doesn't work! I have successfully installed the iso in virtualbox using daemon lite and it all runs fine.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried this multiple times and I've searched around and noone else seems to get the error.
Thanks

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
You need to browse for the parent directory of I386, not I386 itself.

I386 is not a valid complete source path itself, there could be other important files in its parent directory, i.e. $OEM$, BTS' OEM, Service Pack tag files etc. etc. ;)

Edited by ilko_t, 31 January 2011 - 02:14 PM.

sand2011

sand2011
  • 3 posts

You need to browse for the parent directory of I386, not I386 itself.

I386 is not a valid source path itself, there could be other important files in its parent directory, i.e. $OEM$, BTS' OEM, Service Pack tag files etc. etc. ;)

correct!! it work! silly me. Thankyou for all your help! was a mission!
If there's anyone planning on install windows xp on a hp mini 5103 - I wouldn't bother, it has minimal support and half the drivers HP supplies (ie the hotkey support,ethernet controllers - pretty essential) aren't available for xp. Best stick to win7 or *nix.

Thanks ilko_t!

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,019 posts

If there's anyone planning on install windows xp on a hp mini 5103 - I wouldn't bother, it has minimal support and half the drivers HP supplies (ie the hotkey support,ethernet controllers - pretty essential) aren't available for xp. Best stick to win7 or *nix.

I beg to disagree :no: , EXACTLY because it may be difficult (or someone would say it's impossible) installing XP on that would be fun. :yes:

jaclaz

sand2011

sand2011
  • 3 posts

I beg to disagree :no: , EXACTLY because it may be difficult (or someone would say it's impossible) installing XP on that would be fun. :yes:

jaclaz

haha you reckon? It'd be cool to but if I were to try tinker with everything I'd rather get it to work in a *nix environment. Not to say what you all do isn't valuable - you're legends!!

mcompton69

mcompton69
  • 5 posts
I have searched the forum and cannot find another post about the problem I am having, but after following the instructions with this tool and creating the boot disk successfully, I get the error message "Error: 8 Kernel must be loaded before booting" when I use either option 1 or option 2 for the Win 2000/2003/XP ISO (Its actually a vanilla VLK XP SP3 ISO).

Can anyone explain what could be causing the error message "Error: 8 Kernel must be loaded before booting"?

Thanks.

drakuxxx

drakuxxx
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I'm having the following issue: i made the bootable stick. boots the stick, format the partition, the windows starts copying the files, and then comes the usually first restart. But after the restart the windows doesn't start and it says that ntldr is missing. What did I do wrong? Please help me

Edited by drakuxxx, 31 January 2011 - 02:06 PM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts

I have searched the forum and cannot find another post about the problem I am having, but after following the instructions with this tool and creating the boot disk successfully, I get the error message "Error: 8 Kernel must be loaded before booting" when I use either option 1 or option 2 for the Win 2000/2003/XP ISO (Its actually a vanilla VLK XP SP3 ISO).

Can anyone explain what could be causing the error message "Error: 8 Kernel must be loaded before booting"?

Thanks.

Not quite sure what option 1 and 2 would be. Please add the following files to a zip archive and attach it with your next post:
1) From USB stick menu.lst and winsetup.lst
2) from program directory- winsetupfromusb.log, if you have used the program after you added that source old logs are cab compressed and moved to \backup folder. Find the relevant ones.

Hi,

I'm having the following issue: i made the bootable stick. boots the stick, format the partition, the windows starts copying the files, and then comes the usually first restart. But after the restart the windows doesn't start and it says that ntldr is missing. What did I do wrong? Please help me

What version of the program did you use?
What drive letter did the USB stick have when Setup displayed disk and partitions?
Attach winsetupfromusb.log file, read above for details.

drakuxxx

drakuxxx
  • 8 posts

Thanks.

Not quite sure what option 1 and 2 would be. Please add the following files to a zip archive and attach it with your next post:
2) from program directory- winsetupfromusb.log, if you have used the program after you added that source old logs are cab compressed and moved to \backup folder. Find the relevant ones.

Hi,

What version of the program did you use?
What drive letter did the USB stick have when Setup displayed disk and partitions?
Attach winsetupfromusb.log file, read above for details.

I'm using 1.06, the usb stick has the U letter driverAttached File  WinSetupFromUSB.rar   488bytes   11 downloads

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts

...I'm using 1.06, the usb stick has the U letter driverAttached File  WinSetupFromUSB.rar   488bytes   11 downloads

Please read carefully and attach the appropriate log file:

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN