Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

• Please log in to reply
2097 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,395 posts

Hi, when i hit the GO button to install XP into USB i got this mesagge: "grubinst.exe could not find a Master Boot Record and partition table on the selected disk" can you help me?

Did you partition the device with RMPREPUSB (or with anything else)?

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

pandabear

pandabear
  • Members
  • 1 posts
This software works great! I am able to install either windows xp or window 7. Is there a way to have multiple versions of windows xp or 7? My goal is to setup my usb drive to install windows 7 pro, home or ultimate. as well as windows xp pro or home. I am also trying to rename the selection when I launch the installation, but have been unsuccessful. Will you please help. Thanks

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,395 posts

This software works great! I am able to install either windows xp or window 7. Is there a way to have multiple versions of windows xp or 7? My goal is to setup my usb drive to install windows 7 pro, home or ultimate. as well as windows xp pro or home.

Re-read, this time SLOWLY first post on this very thread.

What it can be used for adding to your USB stick/disk:

- multiple Windows XP/2kX sources in the same partition (up to 10 99 with vers. 1.0). They have to be in the first(no longer applies to 1.0 versions) any primary partition of the USB disk if hard disk type. If USB stick- Windows will not see any other partitions, but the first one, so you are restricted to it anyway.
Existing folders ~BT and ~LS and TXTSETUP.SIF will be renamed, and SETUPLDR.BIN and SETUPDD.SYS patched against the new names. Checksum checks are also corrected.(no longer applies to 1.0 versions). BTS OEM folders are supported and renamed accordingly.

- Vista/Windows 7/Server 2008 setup to different primary partitions. Multiple Vista sources in the SAME partition are NOT supported. Place your second Vista/7/Server 2008 setup in another partition. It can be placed in any primary partition. If looking for several Vista/Server 2008/7 sources in the same partition have a look here or if just for 7 or Vista here. The first ling would require you manually to put everything to the USB disk, if using the second you can point the program to the prepared AOI source.

Please note how first link:
http://sites.google....and-server-2008
should now actually be:
http://www.rmprepusb...and-server-2008

I am also trying to rename the selection when I launch the installation, but have been unsuccessful. Will you please help. Thanks

Sometimes I wonder WHY people wants (actually demands :ph34r: ) to introduce their own variations BEFORE having become familiar with a tool/procedure. :w00t:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 09 November 2011 - 06:19 PM.

LaoYao

LaoYao
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Thanks for offering this excellent program, I really like it.
I suggest that WinSetupFromUSB can support multiple languages just like the current RMPrepUSB.
I am from China, If you can, I want to make Simplified Chinese language file for this program.

NeoST

NeoST
  • Members
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I downloaded wsfUSB 0.2.3 and I need to install nLite-d WINXP on my usb stick, but when I get to choose source, I get error message saying "This doesn't seem to be valid source, could not find DOSNET.INF". Before that, I had a different error message saying something like "WIN32.exe could not be found", but that one disappeared now...

Any advices please?
Thank you.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,395 posts

Hi,
I downloaded wsfUSB 0.2.3 and I need to install nLite-d WINXP on my usb stick, but when I get to choose source, I get error message saying "This doesn't seem to be valid source, could not find DOSNET.INF". Before that, I had a different error message saying something like "WIN32.exe could not be found", but that one disappeared now...

Any advices please?
Thank you.

It is likely that you are using a (probably nlited) NON-ORIGINAL version of the Source from which some needed files were removed. (or somehow the source is corrupted/unreadable)
You cannot use the 0.2.3 with such a source, you can try with 1.0 beta7, but probably you will have to try with this approach :unsure::
http://www.msfn.org/...winntsetup-v21/

jaclaz

NeoST

NeoST
  • Members
  • 2 posts
WinNTsetup didn't work, but 1.0 beta7 worked like a charm.
Thank you!

MackTK

MackTK

• Members
  • 13 posts
Hello,

Thanks again for this very useful program!

To put it short, I have a question: is there a way to replace the usage of Grub4dos with Syslinux? I hope I'm not asking some dumb question. :)

Thank you.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,395 posts

To put it short, I have a question: is there a way to replace the usage of Grub4dos with Syslinux?

Yes/No. :ph34r:
http://homepages.tes...no-answers.html

I hope I'm not asking some dumb question. :)

The question in itself it's not dumb at all (exception made for the way you asked it ;)), but I guess you should at least mention WHY anyone should want to modify a working app (at the risk of introducing bugs/problems/issues). Mind you I am not saying it is possible or not, though form the little I kow of Syslinux/Memdisk, etc. it has IMHO some less flexibility in re-mapping drives, which is conversely one of the needed features for the WinSetupfromUSB and that grub4dos provides flawlessly)

I mean WHAT advantages would you expect in using Syslinux instead of grub4dos? :unsure:

jaclaz

MackTK

MackTK

• Members
  • 13 posts
Sorry. I was quite tired when I was asking the question above, and presumed that the question implies that I would like to know how to do that, or if it was possible. At that time, I didn't found the words necessary to extend the sentence.

Anyway, I don't want the program modified, I wanted some help or advice from people with greater knowledge than mine to replace G4D with Syslinux. Sorry again if I put the question the wrong way. The purpose? One USB stick with other tools besides Win setup, tools that are already using Syslinux. I would like to avoid multi-partitioning and I wonder if Winsetupfromusb's boot manager can be recreated in Syslinux.

slbgz

slbgz
  • Members
  • 1 posts

1) Extract the ISO somewhere, select Syslinux option and point program to the directory with the extracted contents. Press GO. Then rename ISOLINUX directory on USB disk to SYSLINUX, rename ISOLINUX.CFG to SYSLINUX.CFG inside the renamed SYSLINUX directory too.

Hi,
I want to add Nero BackupItUp ImageTool to my USB disk, this is ISO with "ISOLINUX" files: ISOLINUX.BIN, ISOLINUX.CFG, root.img and other...
I tried quoted method and fail. How I can add this ISO to my USB-pendrive?

P.S. In BCDW 1.5 it working fine (extracting filesfrom ISO and launching ISOLINUX.BIN)

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,395 posts

The purpose? One USB stick with other tools besides Win setup, tools that are already using Syslinux. I would like to avoid multi-partitioning and I wonder if Winsetupfromusb's boot manager can be recreated in Syslinux.

Yes, but I don't still see WHY you want to REPLACE grub4dos, maybe it would be easier to integrate the result of WinsetupfromUSB into your Syslinux based thingy. :unsure:
The multipartiioning is only needed (talking of WinsetupfromUSB) if you need several Vista :ph34r:/7 /Server 2008 versions.

grub4dos can be chainloaded by Syslinux allright, like (example):

LABEL grub4dos
KERNEL /grub.exe

So, all you have to do should be to use Syslinux to load the thingy as is (instead of having grub4dos being the "main" bootloader/bootmanager).

jaclaz

MackTK

MackTK

• Members
  • 13 posts

The purpose? One USB stick with other tools besides Win setup, tools that are already using Syslinux. I would like to avoid multi-partitioning and I wonder if Winsetupfromusb's boot manager can be recreated in Syslinux.

Yes, but I don't still see WHY you want to REPLACE grub4dos, maybe it would be easier to integrate the result of WinsetupfromUSB into your Syslinux based thingy. :unsure:
The multipartiioning is only needed (talking of WinsetupfromUSB) if you need several Vista :ph34r:/7 /Server 2008 versions.

grub4dos can be chainloaded by Syslinux allright, like (example):

LABEL grub4dos
KERNEL /grub.exe

So, all you have to do should be to use Syslinux to load the thingy as is (instead of having grub4dos being the "main" bootloader/bootmanager).

jaclaz

If it is possible to have on the same partition G4D and Syslinux, you're right, chailoading from one to another is the solution. Worth trying. Thank you.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,395 posts

If it is possible to have on the same partition G4D and Syslinux, you're right, chailoading from one to another is the solution.

Sure it is possible, as said in the form of grub.exe grub4dos is a Linux kernel (besides being a DOS program), all you need is to add to your Syslinux booting thingy the grub.exe and possibly a modified menu.lst.

Worth trying. Thank you.

You are welcome.

jaclaz

glax24

glax24
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Hi. Can you share your source code? I need source code for function that create migrate.inf file. Help me, please.

laddanator

laddanator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Donator

Sorry if I missed something but I would like to donate what I can to you and the donate tab on your program doesn't do anything. Words cant thank you enough for this and I will like to send a little donation but where to?

laddanator

laddanator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Donator

Is this the only line in txtsetup that gets edited

[SetupData]
SetupSourcePath ="\WINSETUP\XPpSP33\"
MajorVersion = 5
MinorVersion = 1
DefaultPath=\WINDOWS
OsLoadOptions = "/fastdetect /noguiboot /nodebug"
ForceScsi = 1
ForceDiskClass = 1
ForceCDRom = 1
Architecture = i386
DriverCabName=driver.cab
ProductType = 0
LoadIdentifier  = %wks_id%
LoadIdentifierCancel  = %cancel_id%
LoadIdentifierWin9x  = %9x_id%
BaseVideoLoadId = %wks_id_vga%
RequiredMemory = 67108864
Pagefile = 115,250
SetupSourceDevice=\ArcName\multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)
BootPath="\WINSETUP\XPpSP33\I386\"
BootDevice="multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)"

The reason I ask is because when I update my source files, I can just copy the new files to the WINSETUP folder already on my USB Hard Drive so I dont have to rerun the program every time and just add the line above to my new txtsetup file.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,687 posts
The boot group of the USB drivers is also changed. There are also a few lines added to SourceDisksFiles section.
Folder name is tied up to the lines you quoted, winsetup.lst and setup.cmd in \I386 folder.

If you want to go that route- get Beyond Compare:
http://www.scootersoftware.com/

Trial version works for looong time. Compare original txtsetup.sif in the small ISO file and the original in \I386 folder. Compare I386 folder structure on USB disk and in your source. I could be forgetting something.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,395 posts
Just for the record, Examdiff is Freeware and have similar (or at least "enough") comparison capabilities:
http://www.prestosof...dp_examdiff.asp

jaclaz

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
KDiff3 is also good for comparing folders and text files. And it's free ;) There's also an explorer plugin for it.

laddanator

laddanator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Donator

What I did was changed the folder names from example...XPhSP3 to Home and XPpSP3 to Pro XPpSP32 to PROCORP and so on (I have three diff Pros so it gets confusing). I want to take some of the confusion out. I have always used them folder names. When I was multibooting from CD. I changed the lines in setupdata and hex edit my SETUPLDR.BIN(change the I386 part to HOME, PRO1, MCE1 and so on in SETUPLDR.BIN. You can only use 4 to replace I386) I like ilko_t method much better. Anyway if I change the folder name to anything different then the ones the WintoUsb program sets and change the path in setupdata section, the computer install the files to C but on the reboot and the install starts, it stops and says can't find /WINSETUP/XPHSP3 so the path must be defined other than setupdata? I would like to change all path entries from XPhSP3 to HOME and so on and not sure where else they are defind.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,687 posts

Just for the record, Examdiff is Freeware and have similar (or at least "enough") comparison capabilities:
http://www.prestosof...dp_examdiff.asp

jaclaz

KDiff3 is also good for comparing folders and text files. And it's free ;) There's also an explorer plugin for it.

I tried them both along few others in the past, Beyond Compare is for me by far more intuitive, easy and with more options, comes like free as well.

What I did was changed the folder names from example...XPhSP3 to Home and XPpSP3 to Pro XPpSP32 to PROCORP and so on (I have three diff Pros so it gets confusing). I want to take some of the confusion out. I have always used them folder names. When I was multibooting from CD. I changed the lines in setupdata and hex edit my SETUPLDR.BIN(change the I386 part to HOME, PRO1, MCE1 and so on in SETUPLDR.BIN. You can only use 4 to replace I386) I like ilko_t method much better. Anyway if I change the folder name to anything different then the ones the WintoUsb program sets and change the path in setupdata section, the computer install the files to C but on the reboot and the install starts, it stops and says can't find /WINSETUP/XPHSP3 so the path must be defined other than setupdata? I would like to change all path entries from XPhSP3 to HOME and so on and not sure where else they are defind.

Please read again:

The boot group of the USB drivers is also changed. There are also a few lines added to SourceDisksFiles section.
Folder name is tied up to the lines you quoted, winsetup.lst and setup.cmd in \I386 folder.

If you want to go that route- get Beyond Compare:
http://www.scootersoftware.com/

Trial version works for looong time. Compare original txtsetup.sif in the small ISO file and the original in \I386 folder. Compare I386 folder structure on USB disk and in your source. I could be forgetting something.

In short, edit these, if I am not missing something:
1) winsetup.lst
2) txtsetup.sif in the small ISO file
3) setup.cmd in \WINSETUP\XP.....\I386

laddanator

laddanator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Donator

In short, edit these, if I am not missing something:
1) winsetup.lst
2) txtsetup.sif in the small ISO file
3) setup.cmd in \WINSETUP\XP.....\I386

I rode the short bus growing up! :) I am not sure how I missed the setup.cmd part, sorry. I am with you now. Looks like allot in that setup.cmd file. I may just leave well enough alone. Thanks for all of your help, ilko_t

All I should have to do is replace this line

rem XPhSP3 string is dynamically changed by WinSetupFromUSB when prepariung source
set TAGFILE=\WINSETUP\XPhSP3

with this

rem XPhSP3 string is dynamically changed by WinSetupFromUSB when prepariung source
set TAGFILE=\WINSETUP\Home

Already changed my txtsetup to this

[SetupData]
SetupSourcePath ="\WINSETUP\HOME\"
MajorVersion = 5
MinorVersion = 1
DefaultPath=\WINDOWS
OsLoadOptions = "/fastdetect /noguiboot /nodebug"
ForceScsi = 1
ForceDiskClass = 1
ForceCDRom = 1
Architecture = i386
DriverCabName=driver.cab
ProductType = 0
LoadIdentifier  = %wks_id%
LoadIdentifierCancel  = %cancel_id%
LoadIdentifierWin9x  = %9x_id%
BaseVideoLoadId = %wks_id_vga%
RequiredMemory = 67108864
Pagefile = 115,250
SetupSourceDevice=\ArcName\multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)
BootPath="\WINSETUP\HOME\I386\"
BootDevice="multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)"

My menu.lst entry

title 01. XP Setup With MOST Driver\nOctober 2011
password --md5 $1$A$hzYlFap3SLNNQ/tA7c3.S.
# find the ISO folder by looking for a marker file
debug off
find --set-root /laddsbootusb.tag
clear
echo
# list all files in the /WINSETUP folder so the user can see them
ls ()/WINSETUP/ISO/
echo
# Ask user which iso they want (name is converted to uppercase as /u is specified)
set /p /u install=Enter XP Filename WITH NO .ISO EXTENSION. (ex.HOME ) :  
if "%install%"=="" echo No iso file specified! && configfile /menu.lst
clear
# check if user entered a valid filename with no ISO extension!
ls /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso || echo Cannot find /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso !!! && pause --wait=3 && configfile (bd)/menu.lst
echo Loading /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso - please wait ...
#set root drive to USB stick
find --set-root /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso
# run the grub4dos map command and specify the iso file we want to load
map --unmap=0:0xff
map --unhook
ls /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso || find --set-root --ignore-cd /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso
map /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso (0xff) || map --mem /WINSETUP/ISO/%install%.iso (0xff)
savedefault 2
checkrange 0x00,0x01 read 0x8280 && configfile /BOOTWS/fd.lst
checkrange 8 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/8.lst
checkrange 7 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/7.lst
checkrange 6 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/6.lst
checkrange 5 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/5.lst
checkrange 4 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/4.lst
checkrange 3 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/3.lst
checkrange 2 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/2.lst
checkrange 1 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/1.lst
boot

I created a folder called ISO and copied the small iso files there. So when the files were listed so you could type the name of the XP you want to install, it would only show the iso stuff and not everything else. This works like a charm. just type (example) home and off the install goes

Edited by laddanator, 07 December 2011 - 10:55 PM.

laddanator

laddanator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Donator

ilko_t what causes setup.cmd to run. Is XP design to run anything in the setup.cmd if present in the I386 folder?

cdob

cdob

Friend of MSFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

what causes setup.cmd to run. Is XP design to run anything in the setup.cmd if present in the I386 folder?

XP is designed to launch setup.exe.

A fake setup.exe is used to lauch setup.cmd.
Source code is at WinSetup\files\winsetup\PyronSetup\setup.c

Pyron created this approach http://www.msfn.org/...rivers-from-cd/
This version calls presetup.cmd. A new name was chosen to keep old solutions working.

21 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (3), MJ12bot (3)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN