Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

• Please log in to reply
2128 replies to this topic

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11
Hi ilko,
great work on WinSetupFromUSB Posted Image

small cosmetic fix: http://ayende.com/bl...ility-assistant

Applications with "Setup" in their name need supportedOS entries in their manifest on Windows Vista and later.

Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

ilko_t, not sure if you would be interested but I have a method that I use to install Vista, Win7x86, Win7x64 and Win8 from the same partition and the same root of my USB stick. Might be a good add to your already great program. The bcd for each version has to be modded which I have the script for or actually the ones I have that are modded never have to be modded again, so your program could just copy them to the right folder. The only draw back I can see is that each boot.wim has to be mounted (which I made a script that mounts each boot.wim and copies the two files) and two files copied to system32 of mounted wim...set.cmd and winpeshl.ini...

I've been digging in this direction for a long time without a solution which suits my needs... There are several methods for having multiple Vista/7/2008 in same partition:
1) Edit boot.wim and add whatever script you want to be launched.
2) Edit boot.wim, add Firadisk or WinVBlock
3) Edit install.wim and add include other sources
4) Use changed on-the-fly autounattend.xml in root of a removable USB disk to tell Setup what to do

1,2 and 3 need to mount wim, that's pain in the @$$, need either WAIK or 7 source. I won't force a regular user to download and install 1.7 GBs WAIK. There is no yet free and legally redistributable solution which can mount and edit WIM files, at least I am not aware of such. 7-zip was a good bet, but author is not interested in going too deep into the wims:
http://sourceforge.n...7/topic/4072972

4 has the limitation that USB disk has to be removable, or Setup won't use autounattend.xml.

Hi ilko,
great work on WinSetupFromUSB Posted Image

small cosmetic fix: http://ayende.com/bl...ility-assistant

Applications with "Setup" in their name need supportedOS entries in their manifest on Windows Vista and later.

Posted Image

Thanks JFX, appreciate it.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

Setup won't use autounattend.xml.

Solved that problem. Add this line to your setup.cmd that is added to boot.wim

if exist %USBdrive%\%Win7x86%\unattend.xml SET UN=/unattend:%USBdrive%\%Win7x86%\unattend.xml
if exist %USBdrive%\%Win7x86%\OEM\nul SET OEM=/m:%DVDdrive%\%Win7x32%\OEM
%RamPath%\setup.exe %OEM% %UN%

drop your unattended file in the Win7x86 folder on root of your USB drive and no problem. Unattended install is not a problem anymore from USB. I install 7 at least 10 times a day and unattend never fails me.

You don't need WAIK...I have a pretty much stand alone DISM.exe (not sure if using DISM is legal if you don't own Win7)

Now I will agree that if mounting a wim goes wrong, it can be a pain.

Edited by laddanator, 28 December 2011 - 03:35 PM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
The autounnatend.xml method does not need and wim editing, read this and below for details:
http://reboot.pro/90...post__p__123792

If there was wim editing involved, there are better methods.

Dism isn't stand-alone, there are several other files involved. One cannot redistribute them freely. Another problem is where to obtain them from- if it's 7 source- one could be using XP 32-bits and has 7 x64 source. Is 32-bit version of the wim drivers included in 7 x64?
What about using XP 32 and modifying Vista x64? There is no Dism, back to imagex plus there are no 32 bit drivers for the wim mounting.
So we are back to WAIK...

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

The autounnatend.xml method does not need and wim editing, read this and below for details

:

No, but I rather mount the boot.wim and add two files than rely on friadisk and Imdisk. It takes less than 2minS to mount, copy, commit and unmount. Believe it or not XP mounts and commits wims faster than Vista or 7.

Dism isn't stand-alone, there are several other files involved. One cannot redistribute them freely. Another problem is where to obtain them from- if it's 7 source- one could be using XP 32-bits and has 7 x64 source.

The DISM I use works in XP x32 bit. Your right its not completely stand alone. I made a script to copy the few files and add lines to reg...almost stand alone, kinda. I do not like the friadisk method or ImDisk(nothing against either)...this can fail and you have to hit f10 and locate drivers and way too much(much more than just mounting boot.wim to copy two files). My way, nothing but bcd is really modded. Everything else is natural except for added two files to mount boot.wim. Run this in command prompt use setup.exe from Vista or Win7 folder: setup.exe /? and it tells you how to use the unattended switch to locate the unattended.xml. I have been installing Vista and 7 for 6 months with unattend.xml from USB with no mods (except a somewhat modded bcd) or friadisk. I do know this could get complicated for sure. It's easy to me because I have been doing this a longggggggggg time but someone who is a noobie may have issues.

Let me clear up modded bcd...all this does is change the name of boot.wim to what ever number....boot1.wim for example. Trust me when I tell you its much simpler than friadisk but as from your stand point to add this to your program, it could get messy.

Edited by laddanator, 28 December 2011 - 05:29 PM.

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

Ok, been playing around with the new firadisk and the new way that its used to load Win 7 and I am impressed. Well it might not be new but new to me. Now my Win7x86 DVD is 3.47 gigs. The whole thing is not copied to ram is it?

set MYISO=Win7.iso
dd if=()/firadisk/au.xml of=()/AutoUnattend.xml
map --mem (md)0x800+4 (99)
map /ISO/%MYISO% (0xff)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
write (99) [FiraDisk]\nStartOptions=cdrom,vmem=find:/ISO/%MYISO%;\n\0
chainloader (0xff)/BOOTMGR || chainloader (0xff)

Edited by laddanator, 28 December 2011 - 10:09 PM.

danafik

danafik
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 26-December 11
Hi again. Is it possible to insert Intel AHCI drivers from grub4dos emulated floppy during Windows XP Pro SP3 setup? I don't want to slipstream them using nLite, cause I'd like to keep installation files as generic and unmodified as possible (suitable for wider range of machines). So I created floppy image with mtools:
mformat -C -f 1440 -i floppy.img ::
mcopy -i floppy.img iaAhci.inf iaAhci.cat iaStor.inf iaStor.cat iaStor.sys TxtSetup.oem ::
And then in grub4dos before "/bootws/2.lst" gets executed, I map that floppy image:
map --mem /floppy.img (fd0)
map --mem /floppy.img (fd1)
When windows setup starts, after pressing F6, I'm able to select desired AHCI driver, but when setup completes drive formatting, following message is displayed:
Insert the disk labeled:
Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver
          into drive A:

* Press ENTER when ready.
Hitting Enter does nothing :( Am I doing something wrong? Why setup doesn't see floppy anymore?

Edited by danafik, 29 December 2011 - 09:53 AM.

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

Have you tried add the above line to 2.lst?

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
ls (0xff)/ && root (0xff)
ls (0xff)/ && chainloader (0xff)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN
ls (0xff)/ || rootnoverify (hd0)
ls (0xff)/ || chainloader (hd0)+1
boot

Not sure this will work..nothing to test this on at the moment.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
@danafik

Compare:
http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__881138

What happens if you do not press F6?
Is there a single driver in the floppy?

There is new far better and universal approach by one of the grub4dos developers Chenall- DPMS, look at cdob's post:
http://www.911cd.net...ndpost&p=169525

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

There is new far better and universal approach by one of the grub4dos developers Chenall- DPMS, look at cdob's post:

Nice....this is already been useful. I have been out of the loop for almost a year. Been just the last two months I have been active in the program world again. So much has changed.

danafik

danafik
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 26-December 11

Have you tried add the above line to 2.lst?

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
boot

Not sure this will work..nothing to test this on at the moment.

That's exactly what I did, and it's not working. Now reading the stuff ilko_t suggested, will report later.

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

That's exactly what I did, and it's not working. Now reading the stuff ilko_t suggested, will report later.

I been testing the method ilko_t suggested about the dpms and I download the latest pack and add this to my menu(this is just an example test)

iftitle [find --set-root --devices=c /laddsbootdvd.tag && call set DVDRoot=%@root^%] Nod32 Low Ram (Firadisk) From %DVDRoot%\n  
password --md5 $1$A$hzYlFap3SLNNQ/tA7c3.S.
find --set-root --devices=c /laddsbootdvd.tag
if exist %DVDRoot%/laddsbootdvd.tag set SATA=%DVDRoot%/dpms/dpms.bat
set FD=%DVDRoot%/Nod/firadisk.img
set Nod32=%DVDRoot%/Nod/Nod32.iso
echo %Nod32%
echo %SATA%
echo %FD%
pause
%SATA%
checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map (hd1) (hd0)
checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map (hd0) (hd1)
map %Nod32% (222)
map %FD% (fd0)
map %FD% (fd1)
map --harddrives=1
map --hook
write (99) [FiraDisk]\nStartOptions=cdrom,vmem=find:%Nod32%;floppy,vmem=find:%FD%;\n\0
rootnoverify (222)
chainloader

and the dpms.bat runs fine but two issues. I ran this on 3 newer computers with SATA Hard Drives...1. Asus P5GC-MX/1333 and returned "No Drivers Found" and instead of continuing to load my command, it kick me back to the menu.lst on root of my USB(issue 2)

2. Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3 found the proper drivers, loaded and finished the command

3.Toshiba Model 9704-CTO "NO Drivers Found"

So I am 1 out of 3 and not sure why there would be no drivers for these models. I use the same Driverpack drivers to load the systems and the are loaded fine

danafik

danafik
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 26-December 11
@ilko_t, thank you for pointing me to the right direction. And thank you for your great program, WinSetupFromUSB.

So, I succeeded in installing AHCI driver (single) from virtual floppy during Windows XP Pro SP3 installation. Both approaches to mapping virtual floppy work equally well (see below), as I performed two complete/full windows XP installations for testing purposes on this machine.

For start, I downloaded stock/original Intel AHCI drivers from Intel's website http://downloadcente...=eng&iid=dc_rss
Modified TXTSETUP.OEM as following:
[Defaults]
scsi = iaAHCI_9RDODH
And copied TXTSETUP.OEM with other 5 files (iaahci.cat, iaahci.inf, iastor.cat, iastor.inf, iastor.sys) to empty floppy image file. And then proceeded to installation. Note, that I didn't press F6 during setup.

This works (contents of /bootws/2.lst file):
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

map --mem /f6.img (fd1)
map --mem (md)0x6000+800 (fd0)

map --hook

dd if=(fd1) of=(fd0) count=1

boot
This works too (contents of /bootws/2.lst file):
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

map --mem /f6.img (fd0)
map --mem /f6.img (fd1)

map --hook
boot
UPDATE: Virtual floppy with default single driver needs to be mapped only during the first part of windows setup (txt mode).

Edited by danafik, 30 December 2011 - 11:59 AM.

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

That's exactly what I did, and it's not working.

I didn't think that was working, what I posted ?

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
boot

Is the floppy.img different than f6.img?

danafik

danafik
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 26-December 11
@laddanator, well, now it's working :) though to make it work TXTSETUP.OEM file's "[Defaults]" stanza needs to be modified to include default single driver name, it allows to proceed without pressing F6, as windows setup automatically copies default driver.

As for f6.img and floppy.img, they are the same. I just renamed the file.

Edited by danafik, 30 December 2011 - 11:59 AM.

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

@laddanator, well, now it's working :) though to make it work TXTSETUP.OEM file's "[Defaults]" stanza needs to be modified to include default single driver name, it allows to proceed without pressing F6, as windows setup automatically copies default driver.

Cool Beans! I created a f6.img with Imdisk but it was 50mb...I included all the Driverpack sata drivers for LiveXP and it took to long to extract so I took that option out. I would really like to learn the dpms method better. Funny on the same machines listed above that no dpms driver was found, if I use Virtual Box...a driver is found?

Edited by laddanator, 30 December 2011 - 04:25 PM.

Snake7

Snake7

• 16 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
I've got on ASUS EEEPC 1015PD

Input/output error
while access to multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<2>partition<1>
Installation impossible.

What can be the reason?

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

I've got on ASUS EEEPC 1015PD

Input/output error
while access to multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<2>partition<1>
Installation impossible.

What can be the reason?

Did you use PLoP boot manager entry before launching Setup?
Do you have other USB disks or mass storage devices attached?
Have you used that USB disk and Windows Setup on a computer with 2 internal hard disks?

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I just wanted to see if I am thinking correctly about the error in the pic. I use my Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3 to do must of my test booting on. The error from the pic came from this machine. I had been doing allot of ram based booting before this error. Loaded LiveXP to ram, used firadisk to load XP ISO to ram with the method from here

http://www.msfn.org/...aded-iso-image/

and also loaded XP from a created ram drive CD with firadisk with this but doesn't load the ISO to ram, just creates ram virtual CD(I guess)

iftitle [find --set-root --devices=h /laddsbootusb.tag && call set USBRoot=%@root^%] XP Home SP3 Install From ISO Part 1 From %USBRoot%\n                             
password --md5 $1$A$hzYlFap3SLNNQ/tA7c3.S.
find --set-root --devices=h /laddsbootusb.tag
checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map () (hd1)
checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map (hd1) ()
map /XP/HOME.ISO (222)
map /XP/firadisk.img (fd0)
map /XP/firadisk.img (fd1)
map --harddrives=1
map --hook
write (99) [FiraDisk]\nStartOptions=cdrom,vmem=find:/XP/HOME.ISO;floppy,vmem=find:/XP/firadisk.img;\n\0
rootnoverify (222)
chainloader (222)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN

My point being all of this was loaded to ram and I never finished an install because I was running speed test to see which would load the text setup faster and I used winsetupfromusb last so my thoughts are that the ram was full and couldn't load the small ISO to ram?

Also, I didn't use PLoP and I only changed that line in BOOTWS for the ?.lst to that I was told too. The (hd0,0) part but everything has been working fine. Seems to be hit and miss with the error in the pic. Just one hard drive and one USB drive.

UPDATE

I tried to install XP on a fresh computer as in I hadn't loaded anything to ram and I got the error from the pic? I thought maybe my small ISO was fragmented but ran a check with Wincontig and all was fine. Just the day before I was loading XP fine with winsetupfromusb 1.0 beta 7 with the same USB stick

Edited by laddanator, 05 January 2012 - 05:07 PM.

Snake7

Snake7

• 16 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05

Did you use PLoP boot manager entry before launching Setup?
Do you have other USB disks or mass storage devices attached?
Have you used that USB disk and Windows Setup on a computer with 2 internal hard disks?

Plop was not used
other USB disk was no connected
Only one HDD (netbook)

Finally I was short of time end used Novicorp WinToFlash 0.7.0020 beta to create a new flash drive.
it use defoult setting like this

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=30
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "1st, text mode setup (Boot from flash again after finished)"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup + 1st start of Windows" /fastdetect
C:\ = "---> DEBUG, in case of HAL.DLL or NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors <---"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 2" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 3" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 4" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 2" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 3" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 4" /fastdetect

This time I was lucky.

PS. I can see same kind error on the screenshot of laddanator

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=30
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "1st, text mode setup (Boot from flash again after finished)"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup + 1st start of Windows" /fastdetect
C:\ = "---> DEBUG, in case of HAL.DLL or NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors <---"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 2" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 3" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 4" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 2" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 3" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 4" /fastdetect

Is this created in txtsetup.sif?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,688 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Is this created in txtsetup.sif?

OWWW, comeon :rolleyes: , that's a BOOT.INI.
JFYI:
http://www.msfn.org/...ent-hard-drive/

jaclaz

laddanator

laddanator

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 06-August 11

Donator

OWWW, comeon :rolleyes: , that's a BOOT.INI

Yup...saw this [Boot Loader] and meant to edit post as to never mind just saw this kinda thing but got side tracked :blushing:

Edited by laddanator, 06 January 2012 - 11:30 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,688 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Desidero parlare con voi, ho qualcosa da dire.

Who is the "voi" (you)?

If you have something to say, we are all ears, but you may want to post in English on the board.

jaclaz

puntoMX

puntoMX

n00b of Masters and Vice Versa

• Super Moderator
  • 4,852 posts
  • Joined 28-June 04

Desidero parlare con voi, ho qualcosa da dire.

Right, you want to "have a conversation about anything"? Not here... Keep it on-topic and in English.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users