Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

• Please log in to reply
2120 replies to this topic

SoWhat

SoWhat
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 14-September 12
After I wrote that post, a lot has happened.

I found XP installation with already included SP3 and SATA drivers.
So I added it to SATA Hard drive (it is much faster than USB stick) using program version Beta 7. This hard drive is plugged in SATA1 slot, I am installing system on SATA0.
Than first part of installation went smooth, but after restart I got blank screen when system tried to boot from SATA0.
Then I did following - I chosed to boot from SATA1 and then selected Plop Boot manager, than I selected first hard drive, than I received "NTLDR is missing", than I tried to boot from SATA0 again and second part of installation started. It went smooth almost until the end. I selected all language stuff, computer name etc. Than after few minutes I saw blank screen again.

Both hard drives are fujitsu 120GB, 1.5GB/s.
Each time I begin installation, I delete old partition and create new one on drive C:

I will try to repeat everything using Beta 8.

Ehh, Beta 8 freezed after choosing second part of installation and it wrote:

Location usbdrive.tag
Address 0x82a0: Value 0x80
 2 (HEX:0x2)
 1 (HEX:0x1)
Found 2 disks, set USB disk hd1
Booting MBR on hd0  ...

There is something wired going on - sometimes when in the beginning I am pressing F10, system is able to boot from SATA0 and continue installation until mouse arrow shows up. Then system restarts.

Edited by SoWhat, 15 September 2012 - 06:08 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Lets start clean, not introducing too many changes from confirmed working solution:

1) Leave only one internal disk, the one Windows is to be installed on
2) Use proper, vanilla, unmodified XP source. Integrate SATA drivers yourself. Link is in the post above.
3) Prepare USB disk/stick with this source using beta8
4) During setup, delete all partitions and create new ones and continue
5) This might be 1) actually- ensure hardware is working, test with Ubuntu Live CD for example for a while, WinSetupFromUSB can add such as well

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

SoWhat

SoWhat
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 14-September 12
2) How about SATA driver which is included in beta8? for me it works well - drives are detected.
5) already checked with SOME WAREZ Boot CD, HW works perfect.
3) already tried to use SATA->USB adapter instead of connecting installation drive directly to motherboards SATA port, didn't help.

Okay, I will try to integrate drivers myself DriverPacks.net way.

Edited by jaclaz, 15 September 2012 - 09:50 AM.

SoWhat

SoWhat
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 14-September 12
Tried both slipstream methods, but still the same result
Posted Image

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Are you sure you are following the tutorial to the letter?
http://driverpacks.n...uide-windows-xp

And make sure DriverPack Mass Storage text mode is selected.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

SoWhat

SoWhat
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 14-September 12
I found a problem with Driverpacks - some Windows installation files were missing.

So I managed to integrate Mass Storage Drivers into my installation and I did all these 5 steps you wrote and I still got same result after entering Second Part of installation:

Location usbdrive.tag
Address 0x82a0: Value 0x80
 1 (HEX:0x1)
Found 2 disks, set USB disk hd1
Booting MBR on hd0  ...

PS. Yesterday I successfully installed Windows 7 using this tool http://www.microsoft..._usbdvd_dwnTool

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Try entering second part by booting from the internal disk, rather than the USB one, what happens then?

Did you leave only one internal disk?
Did you use beta8?
Did you install from USB disk?

SoWhat

SoWhat
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 14-September 12

Try entering second part by booting from the internal disk, rather than the USB one, what happens then?

Then I see blank black screen. No errors.

Yes, only one internal disk.
Yes, beta 8
Installed from USB hard drive, also tried from USB memory stick - same result.

Feeling is that after first part of installation, internal disk isn't bootable yet.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
For some reason Setup fails to make it bootable, the issue doesn't seem to be in grub4dos, or the way it boots the second part of Setup.

But why Setup fails at that part? Is it something to do with this specific motherboard or BIOS settings?
Try something- add Windows 7 to the USB disk, start 7 setup, delete all partitions, create new primary ones, set active the first one, format in NTFS, quit setup. Do that from diskpart or from within the installer.

Now start XP setup, do not touch and format the partitions, leave file system as it is, install on the newly created first partition. Does second part continue now?

Other ideas, try them before starting XP setup:
1) Disable UEFI boot in BIOS-->boot menu
2) Disable USB Optimization in BIOS-->boot menu
3) Disable or reduce Hard Disk Pre-Delay in BIOS-->Configuration -> SATA Drives

Used this manual for reference, couldn't find one for your motherboard, you may not have some or all options in your BIOS:
http://download.inte...lossary_v18.pdf

user999

user999

• 28 posts
  • Joined 30-June 12
Do i need to integrate driver packs if i want to make an installation usb for Windows 7?

After formating the usb drive i see this files:

grldr
menu.lst
plpbt.bin
usbdrive.tag

What is the purpose of these files?

One more question:

Is the process of creating installation usb for windows 7 with WinSetupFromUSB the same as for windows xp?

Edited by user999, 23 September 2012 - 10:32 AM.

SoWhat

SoWhat
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 14-September 12
I just found a problem - HDD was defective even though all HDD diagnostic tools were telling that it is okay. I just changed to another HDD and everything works, so thanks and sorry for disturbing.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

Do i need to integrate driver packs if i want to make an installation usb for Windows 7?

After formating the usb drive i see this files:

grldr
menu.lst
plpbt.bin
usbdrive.tag

What is the purpose of these files?

One more question:

Is the process of creating installation usb for windows 7 with WinSetupFromUSB the same as for windows xp?

1) Most likely not, install drivers afterwards
2) grldr - grub4dos boot loader
menu.lst- grub4dos configuration file, boot menus
plpbt.bin- PLoP boot manager, used is USB disk is detected as a supefloppy by BIOS or to speed up boot process if BIOS does not support USB 2.0 boot
default- grub4dos reads and writes this file to set/determine which boot menu should be auto set as default one, used for unattended setup for example
usbdrive.tag - used to determine which disk/partition contains the files needed

3) No, completely different. Vista and above are "Setup from USB" aware, to say so, source is copied unmodified and the only task is to launch bootmgr somehow. 2000/XP/2003 are not and lots of "cheats" are used to make it "USB setup" friendly.

I just found a problem - HDD was defective even though all HDD diagnostic tools were telling that it is okay. I just changed to another HDD and everything works, so thanks and sorry for disturbing.

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the feedback.

user999

user999

• 28 posts
  • Joined 30-June 12

No, completely different. Vista and above are "Setup from USB" aware, to say so, source is copied unmodified and the only task is to launch bootmgr somehow. 2000/XP/2003 are not and lots of "cheats" are used to make it "USB setup" friendly.

So, is it possible to create installation usb for win 7 with WinSetupFromUSB? If i try to copy the source files to the usb the process stops somewhere in the beginning.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Sure it is, first post says so, so does the program option...

If i try to copy the source files to the usb the process stops somewhere in the beginning

Using the program? Just wait, if the USB drive is slow, it may look as frozen when copying the large install.wim or any other large files.

user999

user999

• 28 posts
  • Joined 30-June 12
Well, i copied the source files to the usb using WinSetupFromUSB and i check only the second option that is for windows vista/7/8 and so one. My laptop is set to boot from usb but when i restart it doesn't start the win 7 installation, just loading the main OS which is XP.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Triple check your BIOS setting, try also the hotkey (F11, F12, etc. ) for boot menu.

user999

user999

• 28 posts
  • Joined 30-June 12
Right after i crated the usb when i restarted the laptop it didn't won't to boot from usb. Then i turn off the laptop and when i start it again it booted from the usb and the installation begun so i guess the installation usb is ready to use.

I haven't installed windows 7 so far. Do i have to be careful for something that can go wrong. My hard drive has 3 partitions and i am running now win xp. I will install win 7 on C partition and my main concern is to not lose the data that i have on other two partitions if something goes wrong.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
If you don't touch the other partitions everything should be fine, just make sure which partition is which, as drive letters do not describe which is which and Windows 7 for example may and will name them differently.
Open disk management, look at partition order and size, make notes and use their size and place to distinguish them.

user999

user999

• 28 posts
  • Joined 30-June 12
Thanks, i will keep that in mind.

Romeno

Romeno
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 25-September 12
Hi guys,
I have a problem when installing WinXp to my Aspire r3610 using WinSetupFromUSB1.0 beta7...
First of all grub is not detecting its menu at startup. I managed to point grub to his menu, and chosen "First part of Windows XP Professional SP3 setup from partition 0". When setup starts (i think) it shows an error:
"The system encountered an I/O error accessing multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(4)partition(1). Setup cannot continue"

When I use the same flash on my desctop computer I get no errors, grub detects its menu finely, WinXP installation starts and shows its blue screen with first menu...

halki

halki
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 26-September 12
Hi guys, can anyone tell me from where I can get

Custom drivers/F6 floppy image for 2000/XP/2003 Setup

and

Custom NTDETECT.COM file for 2000/XP/2003 Setup

Thanks you

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

Hi guys,
I have a problem when installing WinXp to my Aspire r3610 using WinSetupFromUSB1.0 beta7...
First of all grub is not detecting its menu at startup. I managed to point grub to his menu, and chosen "First part of Windows XP Professional SP3 setup from partition 0". When setup starts (i think) it shows an error:
"The system encountered an I/O error accessing multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(4)partition(1). Setup cannot continue"

When I use the same flash on my desctop computer I get no errors, grub detects its menu finely, WinXP installation starts and shows its blue screen with first menu...

There is a bug in beta7, either fix it as described, or redo the USB disk using beta8.

Hi guys, can anyone tell me from where I can get

Custom drivers/F6 floppy image for 2000/XP/2003 Setup

and

Custom NTDETECT.COM file for 2000/XP/2003 Setup

Thanks you

F6 drivers you can obtain from motherboard/laptop manufacturer. Keep in mind there are some limitations in this method- only the default driver referenced in txtsetup.oem could be used if it supports multiple drivers. Amend txtsetup.oem accordingly.
As for ntdetect.com:
http://www.msfn.org/...09
http://www.msfn.org/...ic/116766-faqs/
Q3/A3

Do you need it? Do you get BSOD 0x0000007B when starting setup?

halki

halki
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 26-September 12
Hello ilko_t,

thanks for your fast answer, I manage to install Windows XP Professional SP3 on my Sony Vaio VGN-NR21Z without any problems, with the settings you can see it the print attached, latter I will try Win7 also and I will let you know

so until I get any error I will not install Custom drivers/NTDETECT, I was asking because I don't know what are them and for what are good on this project.

Cheers

Attached Files

Romeno

Romeno
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 25-September 12

There is a bug in beta7, either fix it as described, or redo the USB disk using beta8.

Thanks ilko_t!
I tried the quick fix for beta 7 but i had got another problem with biosinfo.inf. Setup said it couldnt find it but I rechecked it was there. As I understood later the problem was my flash was seen in grub (and aparantely bios) as floppy (fd0). I have read an article here about flash detected as floppy that was not resolved as I understood... So I dropped that flash and used my 4gb kingston and it detected as (hd0,0). With WinSetupFromUSB1.0 8.7b I prepread it and setup start DID succeded and completed succesfully! :)
Thanks again for the program :thumbup :wub:

Edited by Romeno, 26 September 2012 - 06:01 PM.

halki

halki
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 26-September 12
Hi ilko_t,

I installed WIN 7 on my Sony Vaio VGN-NR21Z without any problems, but I got WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER and is very annoying, how I can uninstall it ? I want to start win7 normally

Thanks

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users